All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19
SYOS

Saxophones Keilwerth MKX?

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Does anyone know if Keilwerth have stopped making the MKX? It's not on their site at the moment (under saxes, anyway) but it's such an incredible instrument that stopping productions seems less than thought-out.

For me it's easily the best tenor out there for under £4,000+

rhysonsax

There's a bit of discussion about Keilwerth over on SOTW at the moment and @milandro has noted about the MKX being removed from their website.

Keilwerth fading as a brand

I haven't played an MKX yet - is it the same body tube as the SX90 and different key layout ?

Rhys

Last edited:
OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
I think the body is very similar - big bore, big bow etc. - but I don't know if it's the same. The keywork is supposedly more Selmer. I find the layout is larger than my old Trevor James, which really suits me. I find Yams, Yanis etc. feel cluttered and small, almost as though they were aimed at children, so I guess I prefer my saxes a bit bigger than 'standard'.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
According to a Keilwerth owner in that SOTW thread (who actually contacted Keilwerth when it appeared the MkX was dropped from their advertising) - the company has indeed decided to stop producing it.

So, I would say, assume that to be accurate.

Too bad....this is the THIRD time JK has dropped a more-affordable model from their offerings (the other two being the St90 and the EX90....both pretty darn GOOD horns). It would seem Buffet (which owns JK) has decided the MKX didn't sell well enough to continue. Again, too bad because owners tend to report back quite positively.

On the other hand...give it a year or two and their second-hand prices will probably be really, really good.....

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
I think the body is very similar - big bore, big bow etc. - but I don't know if it's the same. The keywork is supposedly more Selmer. I find the layout is larger than my old Trevor James, which really suits me. I find Yams, Yanis etc. feel cluttered and small, almost as though they were aimed at children, so I guess I prefer my saxes a bit bigger than 'standard'.
You're obviously very happy with yours. That's a great thing. Have you had any opportunity to try the alto version of it?

OP
Veggie Dave

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
According to a Keilwerth owner in that SOTW thread (who actually contacted Keilwerth when it appeared the MkX was dropped from their advertising) - the company has indeed decided to stop producing it.
Which is a real shame. I really do think they're superb.

Have you had any opportunity to try the alto version of it?
I haven't unfortunately. I hope to one day.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Yes, it seems a bad decision... as every owner who has posted comments about them had very good things to say. Seems to me the company didn't really give them sufficient time to establish any sort of foothold in the market....which perhaps it could have with a bit more of a chance.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Yes, it seems a bad decision... as every owner who has posted comments about them had very good things to say. Seems to me the company didn't really give them sufficient time to establish any sort of foothold in the market....which perhaps it could have with a bit more of a chance.
Marketing and sales have their own motives that don't always agree with potential customers interests... Perhaps they are hoping to shift the potential MKX buyers to go for the next models up like the SX models ...Their new Shadow variant looks like my Stephanhouser!

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
Marketing and sales have their own motives that don't always agree with potential customers interests... Perhaps they are hoping to shift the potential MKX buyers to go for the next models up like the SX models ...Their new Shadow variant looks like my Stephanhouser!
That's one way to look at it. But I think that is unlikely given the price differentials.

Seems to me Buffet has simply decided not to invest in JK beyond just offering the SX versions, which also to me signifies that Buffet has decided the brand (JK) is just gonna be a 'niche brand'.

A bit sad considering 6 or so years ago JK was considered one of "The Big 4".

But that is what buyouts do to a brand....

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom