PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Keilwerth MKX

SaxDon

Locality
Portsmouth, Hants
I had the pleasure of playing a few different altos a couple of weeks back and found a gem in Keilwerth's latest incarnation, the MKX.

I was trying the usual suspects up to £2000 (Yani 901, Yam 62, RAW, Mauriat) and a couple of wild cards in the Buffet 400 and TJ SR (both very good BTW).

I was intrigued at the MKX (vintage finish) and wondered what another monkey and change might get me (sorry, £500 in non Del Boy language)! Anyway I got on well with all the horns (in different ways) but I gotta say the MKX really blew me away.

Never played the SX90 but have heard you kinda either love or hate the ergos. The MKX ergos were perfect for my fingers and felt very natural (got medium sized man hands BTW!). Construction felt sturdy too. However, it's the sound that counts and it had the sweetest alto tone I can ever remember playing; I could not put it down. Went back to a couple of the others and they felt comparatively 'lifeless' after the MKX.

Really recommend anybody looking for a 'reasonably' priced new pro alto try these out as I reckon they could be on to a winner with these. Will definitely be saving up a little extra so I can get one.

Got me wondering what the tenor's like!...... "Err, darling..... you know that holiday we had planned..." lol.

Interesting, can't wait to hear some sound clips if you get your hands on one :)

Jx

I played an MKX tenor last week - very nice player with a great core sound. The only thing I found odd was the relationship between the octave thumb rest and the LH keys - it felt like the thumb rest was too high, so I kept on hitting the front F and generally screwing up. The key layout on top just felt less spacious (than I´m used to, anyway). Good horn though.

MKX ALTO SAXOPHONE - ANTIQUE BRASS
(Click on the other references at the bottom of the page to view additional MKX models)
The Julius Keilwerth MKX Series marks the next evolution of the saxophone for this historic brand. By combining tonal characteristics of the legendary SX90R along with physical characteristics reminiscent of vintage saxophones, the MKX Series allows the player to have the best of both worlds; a modern sound with a vintage feel.
The name MKX was chosen to pay tribute to those who have contributed to or inspired the development of this new line. The letters “MK” represent Markneukirchen, the historic town in the same region of eastern Germany where the Julius Keilwerth brand began in 1925. Boasting a long history of musical instrument makers and manufacturers, Markneukirchen is now home to the factory and skilled workers who carry on the traditions of their forefathers, and whose craftsmanship is essential to the quality of this instrument.
In honoring the kinship to the legendary Julius Keilwerth SX90R Series, the letter “X” reminds us of the influence and inspiration from those who paved the way for our success. While the MKX and SX90R series do share some characteristics, they can be likened to cousins who share a common blood line, but have individual qualities and personalities that allow them a unique voice of theirown.
The Julius Keilwerth MKX Series is a professional level saxophone that will offer German quality engineering and manufacturing at prices competitive to the global scale, and allow a new generation of musicians to use Keilwerth Saxophones in bringing their voice to the world stage.

I played an MKX tenor last week - very nice player with a great core sound. The only thing I found odd was the relationship between the octave thumb rest and the LH keys - it felt like the thumb rest was too high, so I kept on hitting the front F and generally screwing up. The key layout on top just felt less spacious (than I´m used to, anyway). Good horn though.

Interesting you say that as I was expecting (rightly or wrongly) - after hearing about the SX90 ergos - that the MKX would be similar insofar as preferring bigger hands etc. However, the top keys definitely felt the most compact out of all the horns I tried which was a surprise. Felt good for me though.

Interesting you say that as I was expecting (rightly or wrongly) - after hearing about the SX90 ergos - that the MKX would be similar insofar as preferring bigger hands etc. However, the top keys definitely felt the most compact out of all the horns I tried which was a surprise. Felt good for me though.

I own an SX90R and it feels more cramped in the left hand somehow. Just a matter of familiarisation though, nothing wrong with it. As for the different sound - well I think it's more focused than its brother.

I tried one of these a couple of months ago and really liked it.

Its easy to play and has a nice deep sound. I found it to have a much more interesting sound than the Yani, Yamaha and P Mauriat.

Thanks Nick, even with spending £150 - £300 in case it needs a few pads replaced would that still be a good price? Are these/were these pro horns?

I see it's up to £400. That's about twice what I'd be willing to pay for it. They were pro horns once upon a time. Nice, though, if you like that sort of thing.

Are all of the Tonekings similar or did they change over the years? There is one with Lucite wings for sale at around £850 on eBay

the horn which is offered on ebay is a Keilwerth which once had a lucite guard. These do also have a metal wing either nickel plated or brass. £400 is not too much even if you add the cost of a wing £100 (?) and an overhaul £300 (?).

For less than £1000 a great horn!

Incidentally I have a great nickel plate New King coming up!

Last edited:
I have a Keilwerth made alto and it's made in the mid 50's in Nauheim, West-Germany. Serial # 25XXX. It's called "Wikena" and it was not the top models of Keilwerths saxes. The model was sold by Keilwerth so it's not a stencil. Gerhard Keilwertth confirmed this for some years ago. Ok, sax but £850.00 for a tenor is too much.
wikenaone.jpg

$_57.JPG
Thom, the ebay horn has completely different guards which only superficially look the same as the horn that you show above.

The ebay horn has the porper posts to support the lucite guard and doesn’t have any of the vertical flat brass guards soldered to the horn’s body.
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry Thom but the one I found on eBay is a Toneking I believe. I have looked at the engraving. Have a look....

It'd be good perhaps as a player, but resale is going to be affected by the lack of Lucite guard. So far as I can establish these are no longer available from Keilwerth in Lucite or brass. You'd have to find a 2nd hand one.
I would have paid £250 for it, but it was never that low.

Back
Top Bottom