support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Keilwerth Manufacture

Hey Kev,

Is this the R & C one you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtVSHEO87ZM

Keilwerth tenor saxes retail here for about NZD12,000.00 (about GBP6,000.00) - all they are, are a bit of bent brass - I think I might have a go at making my own and saving a few bucks...:)))

I bet I can make dodgy tone holes as well...:)

Maybe Steve Howard can write a new book for Haynes..."How To Make Your Own Sax Without Dodgy Tone Holes"

Cheers,

Greg S.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got the Keilwerth video on VHS tape and it's very interesting.

I also have a Keilwerth SX90R tenor and alto which Steve Howard has looked at and showed me how not all the tone hole rims are flat. Now, this doesn't particularly bother me as the horns play OK, but it is a definite fact - I can see light when a flat surface is held against some of the tone holes. It seems to be especially the larger tone holes that are not flat.

I think that the Keilwerth video gives a clue as to how there manufacturing process could lead to warping. The tone holes are formed by drawing and then machined flat. Later on, separate rounded rims are fixed to the tone holes by soldering. It seems to me that the act of soldering might lead to warping of the previously flat tone holes, because the body and tone hole chimney is heated and any stresses left in the metal could cause it to move/warp. And I think that this effect would be most pronounced on the bigger tone holes, down on the bell and bow, where the metal thickness is smaller compared with the size of the hole.

There is no further machining to flattening the Keilwerth tone holes after the rims are soldered on.

Manufacture of true 'rolled tone holes' doesn't involve any soldering or heating, so there would be no reason for the tone holes to warp.

What do you think ?

Rhys

Hey Kev,

Is this the R & C one you're referring to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtVSHEO87ZM

Keilwerth tenor saxes retail here for about NZD12,000.00 (about GBP6,000.00) - all they are, are a bit of bent brass - I think I might have a go at making my own and saving a few bucks...:)))

I bet I can make dodgy tone holes as well...:)

Maybe Steve Howard can write a new book for Haynes..."How To Make Your Own Sax Without Dodgy Tone Holes"

Cheers,

Greg S.

Sorry greg, missed this. But yes it is. There's also an interview with them by the Russian distributors (in English), but I couldn't find it.

Manufacture of true 'rolled tone holes' doesn't involve any soldering or heating, so there would be no reason for the tone holes to warp.

What do you think ?

Rhys

I agree. I also think that silversoldering (like King, Holton, some French and Czech brands ... ) tonholes could cause some change around the toneholes. But the toneholes could be leveled. Martin used a softsoldering method which didn't need that high temperature. The machine drawn toneholes did a lot for the saxmanufactors.

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom