SYOS

Karen Sharp workshop

half diminished

A couple of people expressed interest some weeks ago and asked for details.

Karen's just emailed me - she's my teacher. She is looking to run a workshop nr Milton Keynes on 1st August 2009, it's a Saturday. PM me if you are interested.

Nothing seems to be happening on the Breakfastroom gathering so maybe a few of us could meet up there 'unofficially' of course?

For those of you who don't know Karen, check this out. She was in the late Humphrey Littleton's band. He said of her:

"One of the most rewarding consequences of wearing two hats - labelled bandleader and broadcaster respectively - is the unique opportunity it offers to witness talent unfolding. Karen Sharp’s new album confirms what I have already observed, that over the past three or four years, she has steadily - I might almost say stealthily - developed into a major artist on the scene"

"This is the first album of hers on which Karen Sharp has played baritone saxophone. Having persuaded her to buy one when she joined my band three years ago, I glow in the dark with the awareness that she now has one of the best sounds on the instrument to be heard on this planet. In fact, listening to this lovely album has made me seriously phosphorescent, so I’ll say no more."

SLoB

Haven't checked my diary, but provisionally count me in.

Wen to see Humph and his band here in Stortofrd just before he died. Karen was playing and did a couple of numbers solo. She is a really fine player.

Looking forward to more info.

S

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Here are some basic details yet to be firmed up.

Cost TBC but £50 ish

10am to 4pm at Leyton Buzzard (nr Milton Keynes)

Day will consist of:

• theory session/masterclass
  • session working with a professional trio
  • day rounded off with a jam session

Karen will run this plus there will be a professional rhythm section.

If there is enough interest Karen will run this - she needs 12-14 people.

TonyMoroney

Here are some basic details yet to be firmed up.

Cost TBC but £50 ish

10am to 4pm at Leyton Buzzard (nr Milton Keynes)

Day will consist of:

• theory session/masterclass
  • session working with a professional trio
  • day rounded off with a jam session

Karen will run this plus there will be a professional rhythm section.

If there is enough interest Karen will run this - she needs 12-14 people.
I'm guessing that with me being relatively unskilled in Sax at this time, it might be a little advanced for me, what do you think?

T.

Mamos

I'm guessing that with me being relatively unskilled in Sax at this time, it might be a little advanced for me, what do you think?

T.
I think a list of things we should know would help

I could show it to my teacher and he could get me up to speed over the next couple of months

mamos

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
half diminished

half diminished

OK, looks like we have 8 of the 12-14 we need so far. I have fed back to Karen some questions from various peeps and await her update hopefully later today. Expect an update shortly.

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Thanks Ian

My only reservation is my standard of playing

Will it be for all abilities?

mamos
A couple of people have asked similar and I'm awaiting Karen's comments however, she is my teacher and is happy for me to attend. I guess I'm a Jazz Grade2/3 at best. Nice but inconsistent tone, poor but improving sight reading, rubbish timing and beginner improviser. :w00t:

Does that help in the interim until I hear back from her?

Nick Cook

A couple of people have asked similar and I'm awaiting Karen's comments however, she is my teacher and is happy for me to attend. I guess I'm a Jazz Grade2/3 at best. Nice but inconsistent tone, poor but improving sight reading, rubbish timing and beginner improviser. :w00t:

Does that help in the interim until I hear back from her?
Great - that sounds just like me!!!

Top Bottom