Tutorials

Karen Sharp quintet.

Mikec

Often mentioned in these pages, Karen Sharp and her band played at Pinner parish church on Saturday 17th. They consisted of Karen, Adrian Fry on trombone, Richard Busiakiewicz on piano, John Perry on drums and Dave Green on bass.
I'd seen her play a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so I was looking forward to this gig very much. I was not disappointed; in fact she played a storm. Right from the off, she played with real fire and passion; the tempos were mostly high and the jazz was modern and exciting. Karen's style is broadly lyrical and based on quite long phrases, but she is not afraid of harmonic adventure and adds very fast runs here and there, using them sparingly. The highlight for me was Charles Mingus's "Slop" which opened the second set. Played at high speed with fire and aggression it blew me away, as they say.
The band are first-rate. John Perry is a very musical drummer, while being absolutely tight on time, and Dave Green is justly famous as a great bass player. Richard Busiakiwiecz and Adrian Fry are both worth the ticket price as soloists on their own. Catch them if you can.

Top Bottom