All profit supporting   special needs music

Just started playing with a music group.

Colin the Bear

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Programming the sequencer, triplet quavers with the first two tied makes it swing.
Hand written it's just quavers but played like triplets with the first two tied.
If I still had it I'd be typing that phrase in to see how to play it.

L

lydian

Locality
USA
Could you post an example, please?
I would find this more readable.

Not my chart and I didn't post it, so don't shout at me.
Sorry about that. Not directed at you.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
It's my fault. So please shout at me. I'm sorry for uploading some bars that are wrong. I'm just so enthusiastic to help .... .

I took the wrong bars from a book that I have. I played it on the piano and it's ok if you don't play it as it's written. But who does?

Another way to read and play a lick/riff in this style.
Imam

Here is a video with the backing track.
View: https://youtu.be/SF6AdUsqTEY

Licks like this can can be in some blues/R&B songs. But to name it "Hoochie Coochie" (Willie Dixon) is also a mistake. Here is the right riff for that song.
Hcmo

Reactions: Sue
Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
It's my fault. So please shout at me.
Not your fault, or at least it isn't shoutatable. In fact in this context if I saw that, tenorviol is right - I would play it in the way it is meant.

But that is because I would read ahead and realise it is that blues riff. I'd also hear (hopefully) the band playing shuffle rhythm and hence also have that as a clue.

The only people who would attempt to play as writ might be a very good classical reader who has no concept of shuffle. There is often a lot of leeway and interpretation in swing, blues, jump, boogie, shuffle, stomp, jive and suchlike genres.

L

lydian

Locality
USA
@thomsax, I appreciate your enthusiasm. Just a pet peeve of mine. But if I ever yell at anybody, IT WILL LOOK LIKE THIS! So I haven't resorted to that yet.

I guess I deserved the posted video with 25 incorrectly notated bars this time.

I'm not crazy about the other example either, as it's just changes and a rhythm pattern, not actual notes. Not terribly useful for a beginner who may not know how to read changes yet. But I'll quit while I'm ahead.

thomsax

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Don't underestimate the beginner. They are often quick leaners. This is a lick/riff in the style of "I'm A Man" (Bo Diddley) groove. An aspiring Rocksaxophonist can play this without notes? After 20 minutes they knew how G7, A7,E7 ...... chords was built and they could also improvise some easy stuff over chords with the other chord tones. And if they were more than one sax they were taught to avoid playing the root tone of the chord. " .... you play the 3rd tone of the chord and you play the 5th .... ". Here is two samples. It's not me playing. It's Andrew Clark, Boston, playing. Andrew did a "Rock Sax Masteclass" (beginner) for Saxophone Journal in 1999.
Imam

For Bb instruments.
View: https://youtu.be/DBE1p3hpajc

For Eb instruments.
View: https://youtu.be/xIg7PkAQvbs