All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Just playing the buttons?

dave 645

Having made a couple of iphone recordings of what I was doing, just to start hearing myself, I noticed the sound of the horn was disturbed by the sound of my keywork. The push and release of the keys was noisy. So I picked up my alto yesterday and ran through the finger work for some scales, not trying to blow them, just prepare the sax for them, listening to the noises I was making. Slowly I was reducing the noise.

Obviously good skills in pushing the buttons is a vital part of playing well, but does anybody practice just the finger-work?

trimmy

One day i will...
I practice the fingering when i'm at work, i can't take my sax with me but when i'm reading a music book i do find myself imitating having my sax with me, i suppose it can only help.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
I would never do that just to reduce the pad or key noise.

If it's regular pad noise, that's just part of the saxophone sound. If it's overbearing, and more like clunkiness of keys and rods, then I'd get the horn looked at by a good tech.

dave 645

Hi Pete, I trust what you say, but do feel a little responsible for the noise. I tend to take my fingers off of depressed keys, leaving them to spring up without resistance, they then make a noise that can be heard on the recordings. Do good/experienced players remove their fingers from the keys, or do you somehow cushion the release of the keys? I also know that my sax is less than a year old, was bought new and from sax.co.uk. I want to feel this is more a lack of skill than a questionable sax and I don't want to be guilty of being a bad workman blaming his tools.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
I try not to let my fingers too far off the keys, but that's to do with economy of movement, nothing to do with key noise. If they are too noisy when you release your fingers, get the horn looked at.

I would never "cushion the release of the keys", either to reduce noise or for any reason. No.

jonf

It's also more noticeable when the mic's too close. Try moving it away a bit and then do another recording.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom