All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
SYOS

Beginner Just out of interest

eb424

Just managed to sell my Hansons tenor so have a 1928 true tone and a conn 10m... Now i'm tempted again... I've advertised the TT just overhauled and am thinking of putting the money from both saxes towards a ref 54. I guess im asking ( and i know its personal preference ) Conn 10m or ref 54 (or both ). I ve never played a selmer and have the chance to get a used one 3 years old at a good price. I'm going to have a look tomorrow. The ad said there is a small dink in the bell but regularly serviced and bought at sax.co.uk. As a side issue does anyone know if this sax has a detachable bell and is there any repairers on here who could let me know roughly how much it would be to pull a small dink out of the bell (bottom u bit). Do love a debate... ref 54 or Conn (or both)

jbtsax

Subscriber
The choice of tenors is entirely up to you. I have a 10M that I love to play and accept the trade off of modern ergonomics for the tone it gets.

If the "ding" is in the bow section somewhere to the side of the brace, it can easily be removed using a dent ball and magnet tool. Those dents that include the bell brace are more difficult and costly to repair due to the double thickness of the metal. A photo of the area would allow one of the techs at the Cafe to give a more specific answer to your question.

OP
E

eb424

it looks more like a crease but you can see it in one of the pics with the u bend (sorry im a plumber)

jbtsax

Subscriber
Like this? One has to know the tricks to copy photos. ;) If you are referring to the small indentation in the bell bow at the bottom right of the photo, it is a "piece of cake".

1577648896642.png

OP
E

eb424

ooh i thought it was a dink not a victoria sponge (English cake)... Sorry for that I couln't resist... For a man of your calliber (photo copying included there) would it be expensive or worth it would there be any laquer damage....

OP
E

eb424

Thanks Pete im beginner and appreciate your comment... would you say the 10m would be on par.....shes a bit scruffy and is at the repairers changing the regulation screws so I hvent had much of a chance for a blow on her... Thought the Selmer would be a good sax to learn on..Thanks again i love it on here..

Pete Effamy

It's my opinion only remember. The 10m has become a legend, though there will be poor examples like any sax and it could be a horn that just doesn't suit. Having said that, the Ref 54 has not become a legend.

stitch

Thanks Pete im beginner ...
I'd say this is the more pertinent issue. As a beginner what you need is a decent sax in good working order, which you already have in the 10M, and had in the Hanson.
By all means buy the Selmer if it'll make you happy. You can clearly afford it. This is not a problem most of us have!

OP
E

eb424

I don't know about clearly afford it. I'm an old man trying to learn an instrument who can't read music but doesn't really do much else in life. As when I was learning to be a gas engineer my philosophy was always buy the best you can afford good tools make the job easier, That's all. I put the question on the site as the Hanson was good but I knew I was going to take a hit on it. Also my concern was that the Hanson was based on a 54 selmer, it was a fantastic sax that had a great tone but has some resistance. I didn't want to waste mine or the sellers time if the 2 saxes are similar although I have now taken the financial loss which at least puts my mind at rest.

OP
E

eb424

I also know that it's going to take hard work and practice to get where I want to be I.e. half as good as you guys. I Defoe wouldn't pay six grand for a sax and expect to sound like someone whose been playing for twenty years. I just thought that the opportunity to buy this model three years old for well under half price might be a good opportunity to balance the books. PS loved the Hanson's.

thomsax

As when I was learning to be a gas engineer my philosophy was always buy the best you can afford good tools make the job easier,
Yes, so did I when I worked as a chef. I bought the best tools (knives) for the job. I knew what knife that was best for the "task".

Lots of good saxes. The g"four"m tenor (Yani copy) is not bad. Your can have a good sax for less money.

I can't say anything abot ref 54. I haven't played one. Conn Artist 10M is a legendry sax. Big sound.but the alloy was/is soft. Conn is a medium wall sax.. And so are Selmer and King as well. Buesher is thin wall sax. Martin is a thick wal sax ........ The construction of the sax is important.

OP
E

eb424

That's what I was looking for the conn 10m I bought wasn't the well wanted one 1952 nrth no lawyer just wanted to see what she sounds like. She's been at Dawkes for a while so haven't blown her.. she may well be the sax of my dreams but tbf the selmer seemed to interesting and cheap to overlook. I guess when I get the 10m back in Feb one of them will have to move on..possibly

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
Your desire for the best tool for the job is perfectly understandable. Just be careful that chasing your "dream horn" doesn't become a distraction that prevents you from developing the skills you need to improve and enjoy playing it.

thomsax

That's what I was looking for the conn 10m I bought wasn't the well wanted one 1952 nrth no lawyer just wanted to see what she sounds like. She's been at Dawkes for a while so haven't blown her.. she may well be the sax of my dreams but tbf the selmer seemed to interesting and cheap to overlook. I guess when I get the 10m back in Feb one of them will have to move on..possibly
I have owned Conn Artist 10M with rolled toneholes and without rolled toneholes. I think Conn dropped the rolled toneholes around 47-48. A well set-up Conn wo rolled toneholes is a good player. I think the rolled toneholes have less with the sound/tone and playablity to do. It's easier to level a straight tone hole compared to a rolled tonehole. A saxophone manyfactor was aksed why they have saxes with rolled toneholes and straight toneholes. They answered that the earned more money in selling saxes with rolled toneholes. "Vintage", "craft", "like the old fine saxes" ..... are selling words., . .

OP
E

eb424

OP
E

eb424

All sound advice as usual...I'll be glad when the tt Mark 1v moves on I want one sax and no excuses lol

jbtsax

Subscriber
would it be expensive or worth it would there be any laquer damage....
With a steel ball and a magnetic dent tool it would take less than a minute and leave no trace it was even there. This is a homemade one with a 2" neodynium magnet. I was scolded by the maker of the MDRS (Magnetic Dent Removal System) for using that name, so I called mine TURD instead (Tool Utilized to Remove Dents). :)

1577717887613.jpeg

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
The Conn and the Selmer are both good instruments, so neither is likely to be a mistake unless you are unlucky.

It depends a bit on what sound you want, but I think it is most important that you choose an instrument that feels good to play. A Selmer may be perfect for you, or it may be wrong for you - only you can tell, and only when it is in your hands.

My advice would be to play your 10m until you are confident with it. Then if you come across an instrument that you like better, you can change. I started with a nice Yanagisawa tenor, and I assumed that I would keep it, but one day I played a Grassi that just felt right for me.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom