All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

M/Pieces - Ligs Just for a change ... a brighter mouthpiece.

Rogerb

I have a very nice, sweet-sounding Mouthpiece Cafe Alto #6, which has more or less cured my mouthpiece GAS.

However, there are occasions when I'd like to play a bit 'brighter' ..... not a squawky, 'reedy, edgy kind of 'brightness' , but a bit like Skip Spratt's demo of the TW Kali (but not at that cost!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVnSSglUi48&feature=related
I like the 'clarity' and 'clean' sound of that piece.

Any thoughts on some rather less expensive alternatives, please? (Maybe you have something lurking in your mpc drawer? :) )

Last edited by a moderator:

jonf

Yanagisawa metal - bright but clean, never squawky or shrieky. At a lower budget, Runyon Custom,without the spoiler insert. Watch out for their numbering, though, their 7 is a narrow opening, and a 9 is pretty normal sized.

rhysonsax

My favourite in that sound area is the ebonite 'Emanon' model by Anton Weinberg.

It is designed and made by Professor Anton Weinberg and is available through Dawkes Music in the UK. Here is how they describe it on the Dawkes website: http://www.dawkes.co.uk/accessories-...uthpieces.html
Named after Dizzy Gillespie's tune Emanon (no name -backwards)
A new original design that uses the idea of a double baffle two chamber mouthpiece.
Made from the same ebonite as the American Otto Link mouthpieces.
Tonal quality will not break up at great volume but sound is particularly clear for digital recording.

ALTO model uses the famous Vintage Selmer soloist D lay of the 1950/60's.
TENOR uses the famous Vintage Link 7* lay of the 1950/60's.

There are also sound clips on the Dawkes website for the alto: http://www.dawkes.co.uk/mp3.php?soun...ype=mouthpiece

See the thread I started on it: M/Pieces - Ligs - Weinberg Emanon Double Chamber / Double Baffle Mouthpiece

Rhys

Rogerb

I can't seem to find that particular mpc on Dawkes site ...only the AMW250 and AMW410.
I had a Selmer Soloist, briefly, and was not impressed ....I gather the vintage ones were much better.

Thanks for the input ...haven't tried Runyons or Yanis.

Chris98

Hi Roger,

How about a Vandoren Java A35 or A45 if you want the bigger tip opening. Not too expensive as these things go and know to be consistent. It would provide a different/brighter yet still adaptable tonal colour to compliment your Mouthpiece Cafe.

I've stuck to my A35 for years now and before that was playing a A45. Please note I'm not talking about the Jumbo Java.

Best wishes,

Chris

Rogerb

I think the EW 'Emanon' is now called the Zenith and this is in the Dawkes catalogue, with a demo clip, which I liked quite a lot.
It is a bit pricey at £183 + shipping ..... but considerably less than a Wanne!

Thanks for all the advice.

rhysonsax

I think the EW 'Emanon' is now called the Zenith and this is in the Dawkes catalogue, with a demo clip, which I liked quite a lot.
It is a bit pricey at £183 + shipping ..... but considerably less than a Wanne!

Thanks for all the advice.
I think that is right about the 'Zenith' (in the mp3 player the name of the track actually says 'Emanon') - and where the description mentions Lawton's Reflector Baffle, I think he may have got that information from me.

Anton is really friendly, so I suggest contacting him by 'phone or email and seeing what he says.

Rhys

Rogerb

Many thanks to all contributors ..... I have made a choice, but will wait until I have tried it before saying more >:) It may be a while .....August is not a good month for getting packages through the Spanish post!!

(feel free to speculate .... as if I could stop you :))) )

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom