support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Just experimenting with effects

Saxlicker

Locality
Breakfast room since '06 UK
Recently I played about with some garage band effects on my alto.

I wanted a gruff breaking the rules type of thing (not that I know enough about the rules to stick to them anyway!)
I got that, but does it work in this song??

So its on my sound click page (linked in my signature) you can see an incorrect title for 'Come together' called Petes come together sax distortion.
Well.... thats the one and it comes in about 3:18 if you are short of time.

Thanks for listening!!
Comments Welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sax sounded good and the effect works well. In fact I wish it was all sax as the vocals (although well felt with good diction etc.) were mostly wrong notes, out of tune, and at times painful when doubled up and not in tune with itself. Sorry if this was you, but hey you asked! Stick with sax and give it the same excellent feeling and inflection as your singing. At least you should be able to hit the right notes.

Sax sounded good and the effect works well.
Hi Wade,
Thanks for that...

In fact I wish it was all sax as the vocals (although well felt with good diction etc.) were mostly wrong notes, out of tune, and at times painful when doubled up and not in tune with itself. Sorry if this was you, but hey you asked!

Indeed I did ask ;}
and again thanks for your input. The singer is an ameteur and likes to do things his own way. I'm not very familiar with the tune. Can't say I'd ever heard it until I did the sax so have never been swayed by what I am 'supposed to hear'.
Having listened to the beatles do it since then I hear your reasoning, though I prefer to give credit for individual effort.
Hell, people have encouraged and supported me through the times when I know I just howled like a pig in pain. A little understanding goes a long way when people are finding out what they can do.

Stick with sax and give it the same excellent feeling and inflection as your singing.
So then, by now we know it wasn't me singing...
But if you want to hear some I can record some for you... a nightmare fit for the worst of the worst on X Factor I assure you. You'll really know what pain is then :w00t:

At least you should be able to hit the right notes.

Oh boy....
I think i'd have given up playing if people around me in the 1st half of my playing years showed the same appreciation.
But again..Thanks! opinions I did asked for.

I loved the sax, that's a great sound. Fancy sharing how you achieved it? I'd love to know what kit you used etc.

Slightly off topic...... Trev just listened to 'Lily was here' that is brilliant playing :welldone i thoroughly enjoyed that :thumb:

For me it was a good try, but touch overdone.
On the singer, I got the impression of someone with enthusiasm and potential, but needing coaching. It came over well, after making allowances for lack of experience. I've seen pub bands that were a lot worse get a rave reception, not that that's anything to aspire to. Wade, the points you make are very good, but touch too much too early imho.

Thanks for listening and the comments guys!

@ Trimmy... Thankyou
Lily is just another great tune that I bungle my way through, warts an all.
What you are hearing is someone that loves the sax but never found it until a time in my life where anything other than bungling takes up more time than I have. So really glad you enjoyed it. Knowing its appreciated makes my bungling much more worthwhile :thumb:

@ Kev... Thankyou

@Taz...Thankyou

I loved the sax, that's a great sound. Fancy sharing how you achieved it? I'd love to know what kit you used etc.

Well, I just played dirty wanting to leave it at that. In my mind I had a Martha and the Muffins 'Echo Beach' thing going on. But on play back I didn't like it so much. I think I missed the target really.
The last thing I wanted to do was back out and play something sweeter so as the track was laid down already I just played with the Garage band effects.
If you have garage band I can send you a screen shot of the settings.
It was a pre installed effect, off hand i'm unsure if it was a flanger, overdrive or distortion (i'd need to check the Mac, i'm on my laptop) either way the settings are customisable by dragging the slide bars.
I suppose you can export this type of effect to a gadget in order to use it live?????
Other than that it was my trusty (and rusty) old SM58/ into an XLR to XLR cable into a Lexicon Alpha interface into garageband.
Pretty basic and pretty cheap set up.

Wade, the points you make are very good, but touch too much too early imho.

Thanks Kev. Point taken, but it's hard to know the poster's level of expertise. If not too advanced, then this is a good effort. If they are aspiring pros,then it's a different story.

I guess one could just compliment everything (as some do), but then the poster might not get real feedback that could help them. If the poster does not ask for or welcome comments then I'd take it that only compliments were welcome.

Maybe I'm too orientated on the learning aspects of sites like this? Without honest feedback how does one learn or understand what others hear?

Without knowing the poster's level, and they have asked for comments, I'm inclined to just give an honest assessment. If this is not considered appropriate then please let me know.

Just thought I wanna talk about the sax a bit... WAS GOOD THAT YOU ARE EXPERIMENTING... and nice distortion... never tried recording it myself yet.. I'm sure if you spend enough time you'll get a good sound... added to that... I talked to someone about distortion.. he said he had a mic installed in one of the keys... makes you distort your sax live... Here is the link of him playing... you'll find his solo around in the middle.... LOVED HIS PLAYING.. maybe it will work better in recordings too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ipkbU6Ph4

Thanks Kev. Point taken, but it's hard to know the poster's level of expertise. If not too advanced, then this is a good effort. If they are aspiring pros,then it's a different story.

I guess one could just compliment everything (as some do), but then the poster might not get real feedback that could help them. If the poster does not ask for or welcome comments then I'd take it that only compliments were welcome.

Maybe I'm too orientated on the learning aspects of sites like this? Without honest feedback how does one learn or understand what others hear?

Without knowing the poster's level, and they have asked for comments, I'm inclined to just give an honest assessment. If this is not considered appropriate then please let me know.

Don't I know it. I spent a lot of time moderating a photo web site, and still dabble on another. Where one person would want a full blown crit, the next would cry off at the slightest suggestion for imrpovement. Some just joined for strokes, others wanted it from the hip from day one. About the only way I stayed sane and kept the members happy was to start gently with each person and see how it went as I ramped it up.

How I phrased it also had a huge effect. Short direct clear comments (like yours) went down well with some, but weren't accepted by most. Long and short of it is you can't win. No need to defend, either - we know exectly where you're coming from and it's a good place!

Difficult here cos saxlicker's been a member for ages (longer than me...) and asked for it.

I talked to someone about distortion.. he said he had a mic installed in one of the keys... makes you distort your sax live... Here is the link of him playing... you'll find his solo around in the middle.... LOVED HIS PLAYING.. maybe it will work better in recordings too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ipkbU6Ph4

This isn't distortion, it's processed sound. Pat Methene uses the same programme playing a guitar to make it sound like a trumpet. I frankly don't get why a sax player would want to sound like an electronic trumpet. I like the group. They have a great mix of ethnic and modern/jazz. Great musicians.

Electronic pickups for saxes have been around for a very long time but not in favour for 30+ years. Eddie Harris used it with a little more sophistication that still had a sax vibe. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsHtO_i4qzM&feature=related
or for more hard core: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiwqTwXV74o

This isn't distortion, it's processed sound. Pat Methene uses the same programme playing a guitar to make it sound like a trumpet. I frankly don't get why a sax player would want to sound like an electronic trumpet. I like the group. They have a great mix of ethnic and modern/jazz. Great musicians.

Oh.. I meant more like a distorted guitar like sound..(the second one he uses).. I guess people like to get different sounds with one instrument... and with the correct application.. I think it would turn out good.. I like Pat Metheny's Synth stuff.. especially on the song "as it is".. i like "gathering sky" too.. the drum is awesome on those recordings.... I should say everything was awesome.. hehehe... but haven't listened too many stuff by him yet.. but I bet I would wanna play like that on my sax if I ever can... don't think i like the electronic wind instruments.. :)
p.s thanks for the links of eddie harris

Wade,
When someone asks an opinion you have every right.
As it happens we are both far from aspiring pro's though:w00t:
Honesty is great.....
We can't all be masters of diplomacy and tact. Some manage to get across criticism constructively and some don't.
If you are like me you strive for honesty with tact and some times miss the mark.
Hell I know I have managed to aggravate people but usually unwittingly.
In this instance, I'm OK, I just want to rally for people who are brave enough to give it a go.
For the sake of newbie sax players elsewhere and on this forum particularly....cos I remember the first day I honked out an appalling first few notes and desperately wanted someone to tell me I was doing well. Beyond those first steps, few of us feel we progress as well as we want to so same goes, every step of the way.

I'll not be asking you to change your words thats for sure.

Difficult here cos saxlicker's been a member for ages (longer than me...) and asked for it.

Tell you what mate..... you're the one thats asking for it.

OH...sorry thought you mean't something else ;}

LOL:)))

Back
Top Bottom