Supporting   special needs music

Reeds Just bought a Legere Signature reed

jimmylh

Locality
Warner Robins, Georgia USA
I sound buzzy on Fibracells. I tried a Legere studio cut before and is was alright, but didn't sound as mellow as cane. I read some of Pete's posts on the Signature and decided to try one. It's a 2.75 and I use an Otto link tone edge 7*. It sounded just like the cane reed I just took off, at least to my ears. I'll know better next time I record something, but so far I'm happy. That is all, carry on.

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
I use the same reed on a PPT 11* tenor and it sounds great on that. Goes from mellow with an edge to rip your ears off snarl. If you play longer than 45 minutes Legere recommend you have 2 and change over after about 45 minutes to let the other one relax.

Dibbs

Another tip for légères.

If you get one that's a little too hard, dip it in a cup of hot tea for a few seconds. It goes a bit softer. The effect is temporary but after 3 or 4 goes over a few days it becomes permanent.

It probably works with hot coffee or water too, but tea's what I usually have to hand.

Alice

Psychedelic
Locality
Kent
I should keep a jar of reeds in the cupboard next to the tea and sugar to remind me to do this. Doesn't the milk though make it go sour after a while?
I'll probably get confused and try to use a bourbon cream as a reed.

Dibbs

I Doesn't the milk though make it go sour after a while?

Just in case you hadn't realised, légères are plastic reeds so no, because it doesn't soak in. I wouldn't try it with cane reeds unless you like to play cheesy music.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire
I sound buzzy on Fibracells. I tried a Legere studio cut before and is was alright, but didn't sound as mellow as cane. I read some of Pete's posts on the Signature and decided to try one. It's a 2.75 and I use an Otto link tone edge 7*. It sounded just like the cane reed I just took off, at least to my ears. I'll know better next time I record something, but so far I'm happy. That is all, carry on.
I'm a recent Légère Signature user on alto, tenore and bazza

I found a Studio Légère made me sound like a duck. While the Signature ain't identical to reed I'm very happy with sound, for the time being. I'm attracted to the apparent consistent playing characteristics

Alice

Psychedelic
Locality
Kent
Just in case you hadn't realised, légères are plastic reeds so no, because it doesn't soak in. I wouldn't try it with cane reeds unless you like to play cheesy music.
I did realise they're plastic.. But that's worse sometimes for retaining smells and stains.. It was a joke though anyway, sorry! :p

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
Who knows what evil stuff leaches from a plastic reed into ones bloodstream. Cant be any worse than the other crap we are subjected to.

One can adjust a Leger signature using the ATG system though if you go overboard little hairy bits stick out. Still play Ok but feels a bit weird at first. More control than hot tea but not as tasty

Mostlytenor

Locality
London

I'm a signature user also. I find them very satisfactory and much better than the other Legeres which I found rather hard to play.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
I have recently bought an alto legere signature 2.75 in the quest for a reliable reed but unfortunately it hasn't gone well,I found it to be very hard and hissy as you seem to hear tha air blowing over it, I'm using it on my PPT mpc and as I have said its not gone well at all might try the hot water trick but all in all very disappointed I'm wondering if a softer one might be better but at £20 a trick it's an expensive try out

Jazzaferri

Locality
Victoria BC Canada
InCanada if you find the reed strength off and send the reed and acopy of receipt to legere they wll change it over.

They play on the hard side of the traditional numbers. What your describing reads as if it may be too hard for you.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Locality
manchester
I have had it a while now so I doubt I'll be sending it back and the other problem is you can't get the reed out of the package without damaging it (the box that is) so I thought they wouldn't take it back with a torn box
I play on a RJS 3 medium and don't have any probs with that so I thought the 2.75 would be about right but obviously not.
I re tried some other plastic reeds I have bought in the past to compare ie a Barri and a Fibracell and got a lot better results than I did when I bought them, probably due to improved embouchure but still not brilliant

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
I just love those signature Legeres!
I have x2 all sizes from 2.25 up to 3!

BRILLIANT

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
If you are playing Acid Jazz, use a lemon :w00t:

If you play Acid Jazz do it like John Wilmott ( at about 26:00 flute -at about 15:00 )

:)

And be careful with too much tea... take a look at his posture :D