support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Just bought a backup alto

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Locality
Sunny Southampton
sba-2.jpg
It's about time I bought another alto, it's an early Selmer SBA. It's a bit brighter than the old Buescher 400 TH & C. Soundfiles to come soon, probably after Stephen Howard has fettled it.

That looks in great condition I have never tried one before but I tried the cigar cutter and it was beautiful . I think a lot of people prefer it to the mark 6

It's in good nick - a relacquer no doubt but that doesn't bother me.

Sweet. My silver plated SBA alto is from 1950 and I love it. In fact I sold my VI because I didn't play it anymore after I found the SBA in a pawn shop and restored it. The shop owner was asking $75 for it and I talked him down to $50 because it was all black and smelly with rotting pads. And yes I can sleep at night since I rescued it and gave it a good home. :)

Not played an SBA Alto but the Tenor is superb , my Question is , if an SBA is the backup , what`s the main Alto ???? ..

I was wondering that lucky to have two great horns :)

Last edited:
Lovely horn Pete...

Saying a Selmer (Paris) Super Balanced Action (or more correct name Super Action) alto is your back-up is bit like saying this is my "around town hack" :rofl:

Greg S.

great saxophone,and i hope you got it for a great price...
when you say you got it for a "back-up horn",does that mean you only own 2 alto's now?
cheers,philip from down-under...

Lovely horn Pete...

Saying a Selmer (Paris) Super Balanced Action (or more correct name Super Action) alto is your back-up is bit like saying this is my "around town hack" :rofl:.

This was my point ! . I`d hate to think what the main horn is .. There must be car stickers for this " My Spare horn is a MkVI " . LOL

Where Does the TH&C fit in then - Spare backup horn :sax:

Where Does the TH&C fit in then - Spare backup horn :sax:

I think that is the number one horn and I believe they are superb, certainly on my must have one someday list ...John

Last edited by a moderator:
They are Superb but it`s still a bit like backing up a Yam 61 or Yani 900 with a MkVI . I`d say the SBA to a TH&C was more of a different option than a backup ....... Like owning a Cannonball Albright and a 6M ... a Martin and a YAS21 etc .

They are Superb but it`s still a bit like backing up a Yam 61 or Yani 900 with a MkVI . I`d say the SBA to a TH&C was more of a different option than a backup ....... Like owning a Cannonball Albright and a 6M ... a Martin and a YAS21 etc .

I think if you play at Pete's standard your back up needs to be every bit as good as your main horn,I'm not sure from your comment if you are saying that the Selmer would be a better horn than theTH&C I think that the proof of that pudding will be in the eating and if Pete loves it enough to keep it and perhaps swop places,who knows,either way I'm sure Pete is entitled to a bit of GAS every now and then ......John

Sweet. My silver plated SBA alto is from 1950 and I love it. In fact I sold my VI because I didn't play it anymore after I found the SBA in a pawn shop and restored it. The shop owner was asking $75 for it and I talked him down to $50 because it was all black and smelly with rotting pads. And yes I can sleep at night since I rescued it and gave it a good home. :)

How come I never find bargains like this :( ......John

Pete, time to "find" a PPT alto mouthpiece to go with it.

There must be car stickers for this " My Spare horn is a MkVI " . LOL

In my case this is actually true, but I don't have a car.

Pete, time to "find" a PPT alto mouthpiece to go with it.

In my case this is actually true, but I don't have a car.
No car, no TV, no wife, no wonder you live over a pub.

Back
Top Bottom