All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

just an mediocre beginner :D

Lastbluesun

Hey, i stumbled upon this website on my quest to buy a second saxophone for indoor use,(i'm in marching band) like in jazz and possibly concert band in the future. My band instructor told me my Yamaha yas-23 was a piece of junk i need an upgrade,(Mind you, he plays on a custom made 24k gold plated yangisawa). So now, this place is one of my ways of finding a more budget friendly upgrade while also learning more about sax and hearing others' opinions and learning from the more experienced.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. I've answered the upgrade question in your other thread. Have fun here!

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe :)

Listen to Uncle Kev he knows what he is talking about;}

Jx

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©

Lastbluesun? Whatever you are drinking, can I have a sip?

ENJOY!​™

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome to the cafe LBSun :D all your questions will be answered on here wisely and not so wisely, you have to accept both i'm afraid
Enjoy :)

ps. thought yas23's are a good sax :confused: or has yours been mistreated

BigMartin

My band instructor told me my Yamaha yas-23 was a piece of junk i need an upgrade,(Mind you, he plays on a custom made 24k gold plated yangisawa).
Snob! (Or worse, if he just happens to have one he can sell you). Unless, as suggested above, he's referring to the mechanical condition. In which case, why not get a quote for having it overhauled instead of buying a new one?

jbtsax

Subscriber
Lots of high school and college sax players keep their older sax to use in marching and pep band, and save their new better quality one for indoor jazz and concert band use. Having a backup sax is always a good idea anyway if your main horn needs repair and you have a performance right away. Some keep their good sax at school (under lock and key) and practice on their back up at home to avoid having to carry one back and forth. When doing this it is always a good idea to use the same mouthpiece unless you have two that are identical.

If you do get a better sax and decide keep the YAS 23, it is important to get it repaired to where it plays its best.

Justin Chune

Hello and welcome to the cafe. I've just bought a YAS23 from a friend and I think its great fun to play.

Jim.

navarro

Welcome LBsun from the person voted the most mediocre person in the borough by the "Association of assorted fanciers of Smoked Herrings." You could not get a more mediocre accolade than that. You will have fun here and lot`s of good advice plus a few of my legendary joke snippets.>:) Best regards N.

Merryfisher

welcome!

bit harsh on the YAS 23 tho' - they are a really good sax and if in good order are every bit as good, if not better then a lot of the more expensive horns....

Colin the Bear

Hello and welcome. A lot of good sounds come out of junk horns. A well tweaked pile of junk, if well played, is often better than a poorly adjusted, expensive show horn. Opinion may change if I get the lottery win ;-)

jbtsax

Subscriber
It just dawned on me that if I were a high school student who was serious about playing the saxophone and my teacher said that I needed to upgrade to a better sax, I would be grateful and tell him to talk to my parents. The YAS 23 is a great "student" sax, but it has its limitations such as the non tilting LH pinky table and the lack of a low B/C# closing arm to mention a few.

Hal the Elder

My new tenor sax is a Yamaha YTS-200AD, which is the replacement for the YTS-23, no longer produced.

Both horns are identical in every respect, but the 200AD has a much more rugged case, which adds $200 to the value of the package.

The 200AD is for the rental trade, and provides extra protection for the sax from rough handling by school kids.

Hal the Elder

Welcome and +1 on having a spare horn for marching season.

I won't belabor the points my colleagues have already made about the Yamaha 23, except to encourage you to take it to a good tech for an examination. I think your Yani-wielding instructor would be rather surprised how good that beat-up girl can sound with some TLC........

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom