All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Just a Reminder.

navarro

Hello Ye Merry Ladies and Gentleman of the forum the opening date for entry into the Christmas Story competition will soon be upon us. The first prize being a donation of £20. by myself and a generous offer of same by Kev.(Moderator Extrodanaire.) to Mr. Thomas`s chosen charity. Please find a brief summary of the rules of the competition below.

For obvious reasons the stories will have to be short and written in English and include in the script the following words `Plum Pudding. ` ` Ghost or Ghostly. and finally He`s a larf innee? Not difficult but challenging.

Entries not before December the first and the competition will close on December the seventh. Entries after this date will be null and void unless your geographical location is out of sync with GMT.

Now you may well ask how Kev and myself raised the amounts to donate. I could not possibly comment on Kev`s donation however my man in the `Primark just by the `Shopping baskets display Division` has seen a veritable frenzy of shopping in the Just North Of Munich Branch, in the striped jumper, black beret and mask department.

As for myself I have reluctantly discounted the generous donation I usually make to the `Custodians of the Dust.`Foolishly believing that they would scatter their residue over the drive of that nice old lady next but one, self contained pebble dash, who insists upon calling me "darling" . ( In case the inland revenue surf the forum it comes under miscellaneous payments to Health and Safety Executives a genuine claim against tax.)

Humbug. Yes I expect you to work on Christmas Day. Ebenezer Navarro.

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Apologies for bringing up the legal stuff but having, so far unsuccessfully, attempted to get a judicial review of a council decision, have no wish to participate in the words of the music hall song "Let's all go down The Strand", so who holds copyright on the entries?

The CaSLM solicitors, Greedy, B'stards, Scrooyu are willing to act for a moderate fee if there are any disputes and are at this moment, issuing a writ for failure to answer a previous enquiry regarding the acceptance of the CaSLM Constitution as an entry and a Freedom of Information enquiry as to the source of Kevin Germany's contribution to the prize fund.

Yours in Peace and Legal Fees.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Ownership of the entries remains with the author. Navarro isn't the sort of devious so and so who'd write a clause like that in...

old git

Tremendous Bore
Kev,
Any more ... finishes to your posts suggesting someone is a "devious so and so" and you will get a personal visit from Greedy, B'stards,Scrooyu who are all baseball players.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
So's my son - so I'll call in his whole team.

Trouble is thery're all the same age as him - 11....

But there are much bigger boys (and girls) on the other teams...

Young Col

Co-incidence or more likely a long-forgotten memory of OGs as "Let's all go down the Strand" was probably his call to arms for a raid on my eponymous school. Not that we in Brixton were afraid of that bunch from North Dulwich way. Of course, that was before peace broke out so paving the way for the CaSLM collaboration.

And anyway, what's wrong with the ellipsis? I often use it when I've run out of things to say...

I'm only writing this to keep N's thread at the top and in everyone's mind.

navarro

Apologies for bringing up the legal stuff but having, so far unsuccessfully, attempted to get a judicial review of a council decision, have no wish to participate in the words of the music hall song "Let's all go down The Strand", so who holds copyright on the entries?

The CaSLM solicitors, Greedy, B'stards, Scrooyu are willing to act for a moderate fee if there are any disputes and are at this moment, issuing a writ for failure to answer a previous enquiry regarding the acceptance of the CaSLM Constitution as an entry and a Freedom of Information enquiry as to the source of Kevin Germany's contribution to the prize fund.

Yours in Peace and Legal Fees.
Yes Please accept my umble apologies, and indeed the clerk who was allocated the task of giving you a positive response has been summarily dismissed. I am afraid his protestations of having a wife several children by same and others has been to no avail.

Of course he forfiets his Chrismas bonus plus his grace and favour cottage (Slightly damp and mildewy.) and a plea from his aged Mother that she will be destitute over the festive season. To use the modern jargon` cuts no Ice with me.`(Rather funny that.)

Yes Dear Sir the CaSLM are cordially invited to enter the competition and I hope that this apology plus the sickenly crawly tone of this missive will right matters and ward off future litigation. And please, please do not let the dire circumstances of my ex-clerk weigh at all on your conscience as you comfortably wiggle your toes in your hand stitched leather slippers. I am sure there are establishments which will cater to him and his families plight. Actually on the jingle bell side his self inflicted hardship would make an excellent entry for the competition. Yours sincerly Peace and Goodwill to all Mankind. Navarro.

navarro

Kev,
Any more ... finishes to your posts suggesting someone is a "devious so and so" and you will get a personal visit from Greedy, B'stards,Scrooyu who are all baseball players.
Now now Old Git that`s not cricket I have instructed my man in the post office to put a block on the unstamped brown enveloped 2011 Christmas and New Year card you would have received from myself. "Regards" written rather reluctantly as I stir my bowl of gruel. N.

navarro

Co-incidence or more likely a long-forgotten memory of OGs as "Let's all go down the Strand" was probably his call to arms for a raid on my eponymous school. Not that we in Brixton were afraid of that bunch from North Dulwich way. Of course, that was before peace broke out so paving the way for the CaSLM collaboration.

And anyway, what's wrong with the ellipsis? I often use it when I've run out of things to say...

I'm only writing this to keep N's thread at the top and in everyone's mind.
Thanks Col your support is really appreciated and you are assured of a swift entry to the Brixton Academy Concert Venue next time I do `Bouncers` duty there. Best Regards First class diploma in the art of `Oragami`as a martial art N.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Here is the official CaSLM entry.

`Plum Pudding. ` ` Ghost or Ghostly. and finally He`s a larf innee? Not difficult but challenging.

Please note this is an exact copy of your words. Kindly donate CaSLM's richly deserved first prize to that nice Mr Thomas's charity.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber

`Plum Pudding. ` ` Ghost or Ghostly. and finally He`s a larf innee? Not difficult but challenging.

Please note this is an exact copy of your words. Kindly donate CaSLM's richly deserved first prize to that nice Mr Thomas's charity.
I'll leave it to Navarro to judge, but imho this feeble atttempt is a travesty of the Xmas spirit, worthy of Scrooge himself.

navarro

How many words?
Hi King I have not stipulated a max. or min. word count however the story has to be lets say the equivalent to a longish thread and not a novella. I know I am vague on this one but I do not want to inhibit anyone.

Incidentally in 1997 The Daily Telegraph ran a competition the rules being,a story excluding the title in 50 words exactly. The winners were published in a paperback called `Mini Sagas` I

was one of the lucky writers who got published. The book is still in print. My title was `How the West was Won. and was written as follows.

`The native American and the settler stood on the plain; a herd of buffalo grazed peacefully.
The man raised his musket and fired, at the same time the brave let fly his arrow, but the metal ball speeds faster than the feathered wood and that`s how the west was won.

This is not a plug just an illustration as to how a saga can be contained in so few words.

I wish I could remember this discipline when composing my own threads I do tend to be long winded. Best regards, A blast from the past N.

Last edited by a moderator:

navarro

Very droll OG, your prose not only excites but also titillates the failed stand up comic which slumbers within my inner being. Strictly speaking your entry on behalf of CaSLM`s should be disqualified on the grounds of it being an entry before the opening date, in a futile attempt to curry favour. However being a man whose cup floweth over with magnanimity I will accept a further entry on the given date and give it a totally UNBIASED preview. Regds. humph, humph. N.

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Ahem - will there be a new thread for the submissions opening on the 1 December?

Otherwise, which of the now two postings on this matter do we submit our penmanship to?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Best thing would be to open a new thread and keep it strictly for submissions. But that spoils the chance of the pithy retorts from the seasoned vets of the forum... Maybe each entry in it's own thread. Must let Navarro decide, it's his competition.

navarro

Best thing would be to open a new thread and keep it strictly for submissions. But that spoils the chance of the pithy retorts from the seasoned vets of the forum... Maybe each entry in it's own thread. Must let Navarro decide, it's his competition.
Good thinking Kev, Is it just a matter of starting up a new thread and headlining it Christmas story competition.? Regds why don`t I think logically some times. N

navarro

Ahem - will there be a new thread for the submissions opening on the 1 December?

Otherwise, which of the now two postings on this matter do we submit our penmanship to?
Hi Mel see Kevs comments re thread purely for the stories. It`s a good idea. Watch this Space. Regards N. .

old git

Tremendous Bore
Should the winner care to donate their winnings to Pete's charity, the CaSLM funds will be depleted by a further £20 and Pete's charity will be richer by the same amount.

As this could entail the CaSLM being robbed of its deserved first prize, without prejudicing the judging in any way, trust that Navarro and Kev are good on crutches.>:)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Should the winner care to donate their winnings to Pete's charity, the CaSLM funds will be depleted by a further £20 and Pete's charity will be richer by the same amount.

As this could entail the CaSLM being robbed of its deserved first prize, without prejudicing the judging in any way, trust that Navarro and Kev are good on crutches.>:)

Hmmm - just to clear up a misunderstanding (wilful, I'd guess), First prize is that N gets to donate to Pete's charity.... That means if the entries aren't good enough, he keeps his cash. Naturally I'll follow his lead, so make the stories good!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom