support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

JUN 2015 - SOTM - Samba de Verao (Summer Samba)

very nice laid back vibe @rhysonsax - just wondering what your recording setup is and where did you get that backing track from?

rob

The backing track is from Alan McPike of http://www.standardstrax.com/ and he does good versions, often a bit unusual.

At the moment I am recording using Audacity software with a Scarlett interface and an EV RE27 dynamic mic. I am still trying to find the best effects to make the sax sound natural and to have it sit well in the mix.

Rhys

Hey,
I have just listened through all versions.
Very interesting how everyone approaches that tune differently, not only because of a different backing.
Good to open one's mind how it could sound.
One sounding almost like a violin, one having interesting vibrato, one playing with wonderful subtone.

As I am now where I always wanted to be in concerns of equipment (bought a Mark VI and a SBA) I was thinking about getting a horn for school and for gigs outside where I cannot always have a look at the horn.
I borrowed a very good taiwanese horn today to try and compare.
Here are the two versions:

Summer 1
Summer 2

Good to hear after recording that some of the things I am practicing make their way into the solo.
This is the book I am practicing every day, maybe you find it interesting too, it was written by my teacher Bill Plake:

Essential Polymeter

Cheers,
Guenne

Last edited by a moderator:
@Guenne brought a smile to my face and I'm bopping in my chair :)

Thank you

Jx

Here are the two versions:
Summer 1
Summer 2
:clapping:
Great versions...
Just wondering whether you will reveal details of the Taiwanese horn... :rolleyes:
and I must say that listening to you and other members here in this forum shows me more and more that what really matters is WHO plays it not WHAT is being played. ;)

and thanks for sharing the book... it seems interesting.
Cheers,
Marcello

Not an easy one. At least that what I think. I did it though. Might try an other version later on.

https://soundcloud.com/luc-vergely/summer-samba

Not an easy one. At least that what I think. I did it though. Might try an other version later on.

https://soundcloud.com/luc-vergely/summer-samba
thanks for sharing Luc.
I don't remember listening to a version with an approach similar to yours so on the first listening it sounded, well, different but it doesn't mean that it was bad.
cheers,
Marcello

• Thanks | Helpful
Reactions: Luc
They claim to be the closest to Mk VI you can get... so, having a Mk VI yourself, is it true?

Hey,
Mark VIes have built for a long period of time.
So changes have been made, and the early ones play differently from the late ones.
In fact, when trying as I bought mine, all 6 5-digit-horns played different.

So, as most of the modern horns are Mark 6 "copies", I'd say yes :)
My Mark 6 plays more like an SBA with a fat, dark sound, the Purple Logo 62 I owned seemed to have more of the later Mark VI genes. So, no :)

If I find the time, I will do a short comparison with a different tune in the evening (we have 33 degrees Celsius now).

Cheers, Guenne

Edit: You can hear them here

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom