support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jumping Jam playalong - different tempos

Pete Thomas

Cafe Moderator
Commercial Supporter
Locality
Sunny Southampton
This is a jump blues track, backing tracks at different tempos and PDFs of alto and tenor parts

This is a template for a CD/DVD of playalongs I'm working on.

The backing track has different tempos: 140, 160, 180, 200, 220 and 240

Also included are tracks with the saxophone playing at 140 and 240.

Attachments

• jumpblues.zip
    10 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks Pete,

Great tune to work on and thanks for the two demo tracks as well, I still have trouble looking at the dot's and hearing the tune in my head! I think I'll be stickin' with it at ♩=140, or maybe even slower with the help of Transcribe until I can get my fingers around it.

I've just found out that I can put PDF's into iTunes so I can keep all the files together :)

Thanks again,

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping you wouldn't mind comments and it would be interesting to read about how others get on. My reed is in my mouth so I'll be attempting it soon.

Oh and by the way, that's a friendly first note you picked ;} (I'm looking at the Bb score)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
The octaves switch a bit re: alto and tenor, otherwise it was all a bit low for the alto. But this is the kind of thing that you can play around with anyway.

The octaves switch a bit re: alto and tenor, otherwise it was all a bit low for the alto. But this is the kind of thing that you can play around with anyway.

I haven't looked at the alto music yet as I'm on the tenor tonight. And actually that Eb (1st note) isn't a problem at all. It's a fun tune to play and at 140 it's a comfortable speed to start with. This is great, Thanks Pete.

I haven't looked at the alto music yet as I'm on the tenor tonight. And actually that Eb (1st note) isn't a problem at all. It's a fun tune to play and at 140 it's a comfortable speed to start with. This is great, Thanks Pete.

Thanks Pete, that looks & sounds great fun.

Feedback - For me its a nice level. With Chris on the Eb being comfortable. As a bit of a slowcoach I expect to need a little while to get up to speed. Going to enjoy putting in the necesssary work.

I had other music to be practicing as well tonight but kept coming back to Jumpin' Jam. I got to the end of bar 28 but from bar 17 onwards it was fairly sketchy so I'll need to work on that bit and the rest tomorrow.

I found the articulation was critical to get right (or as close as possible) early on as it helped to keep it moving. After a few run throughs I decided to play along to your demo track to see how off I was and noticed I lagged behind you a few times. Unsurprisingly you have a slightly better tone than I, personally I put that down to your ligature, but it might be your vastly superior experience ;}. I should record myself playing along to the backing track and then substitute that with your demo as that would give me a better idea of where I'm going wrong.

It's been great fun - thanks so much for putting it together and I look forward to the performance notes.

All the best,

Chris

p.s. I noticed on the bottom of the page you are reserving all trights!

p.s. I noticed on the bottom of the page you are reserving all trights!

Yes, I do reserve every single tright!

I also noticed I forgot the chord symbos on Eb part so will re-upload

Any one else working on this?

Tonight I was a bit short of time so only managed to go through it a couple of times. The 1st page is coming together but the first half of the 2nd page is a little sketchy in places. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have it under my fingers and I'll be able to work more on the performance rather than worrying about hitting the right notes. Then increase the speed I guess!

All the best,

Chris

Any one else working on this?

Tonight I was a bit short of time so only managed to go through it a couple of times. The 1st page is coming together but the first half of the 2nd page is a little sketchy in places. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have it under my fingers and I'll be able to work more on the performance rather than worrying about hitting the right notes. Then increase the speed I guess!

All the best,

Chris

I've d/l it now and will have a go later today - after all my chores are done. Life of Cinderella I have ;}

Hi Pete, Chris and all
This looks like an interesting bit of music to work on. Don't quite know how, but I've managed to download and print the dots.
Despite being told unable to save this file, the demo track has appeared on realtime, so 'least I know how it's supposed to sound!
Something different to work on, makes a change from all the traditional jazz ballads, 'bout time I got a bit funky:))) That the right word?

I have just finished recording myself along with Pete's backing track - always and interesting experience.

As soon as I set up the mic the pressure hit and I played sharp, lost the ability to read the music and chirped! After a few takes I reminded myself that I was not trying to perform it as a finished, well polished, piece - I was recording it just to gauge how I was doing! Needless to say I didn't sound like Pete does in the demo, so a lot more work needed there.

How is everyone else getting on?

All the best,

Chris

Thanks for these Pete. can anyone tell me how i can put these onto i-tunes so i can along with my headphones? Thanks

Thanks for these Pete. can anyone tell me how i can put these onto i-tunes so i can along with my headphones? Thanks

Follow the link in the downloaded file.

In the media player hover your mouse over the track you want and on the right hand side next to the file name a little down arrow appears (↓) click on the arrow and the file should automatically start to download.

Once downloaded drag and drop into iTunes, I usually set up a playlist first and drag the files into that otherwise they tend to get lost forever in the depths of my library.

All the best,

Chris

Thanks Chris did that:welldone.

Nice Tune Pete, much appreciated and good fun to play along to.:thankyou:
Follow the link in the downloaded file.

In the media player hover your mouse over the track you want and on the right hand side next to the file name a little down arrow appears (↓) click on the arrow and the file should automatically start to download.

Once downloaded drag and drop into iTunes, I usually set up a playlist first and drag the files into that otherwise they tend to get lost forever in the depths of my library.

All the best,

Chris

There was only jumpin jam in the attachments. Playing mainly tenor but i recently acquired an alto which i'm also using.
Glad it worked, so which one are you working on? Jumpin' Jam?

All the best,

Chris

BTW, this transcription of Lester Young from Jammin the Blues will go nicely on this track.