All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Jumpin' Jam - Work in Progress

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Long way beyond me yet - touch of a speed wobble in places, and it sounds as if you're really trying too hard. But lots of promise.... Keep at it!

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Long way beyond me yet - touch of a speed wobble in places, and it sounds as if you're really trying too hard. But lots of promise.... Keep at it!
Hi Kev,

You're probably right about trying too hard. When I try too hard my fingers tense up and I stab at the notes rather than letting them flow naturally and that can certainly be heard in the recording.

I've noticed when working on other fast paced bits of music that I start to look at it like a hurdles race, and just like a hurdles race I need to jump the hurdles with the same pace and rhythm I run the bits in between. Unfortunately I get so caught up thinking about the next hard bit that the bits in between aren’t great and the hard bits anything but smooth!

So, more work still needed, but I'll get there one day.

All the best,

Chris

thehunt

Hi Chris, to be honest i prefer jumpin jam played a lot slower than this, i preferred your slower versions. However i take my hat off to you for having the guts to put your playing on here. Well done, Phil

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi Chris, to be honest i prefer jumpin jam played a lot slower than this, i preferred your slower versions. However i take my hat off to you for having the guts to put your playing on here. Well done, Phil
Hi Phil,

I know what you mean, I think it's a great tune at the slower tempos and I feel I'm able to shape the tone and feel of the tune more. At the faster tempos I feel I have less control over the tone and it becomes more of an exercise in getting the notes out at the right time... hopefully... every now and then :w00t:. I think I can get the most out of the tune at about 160-180.

Pete has included two demos, one is at 140 and the other at 240 both are excellent and Pete's ability to play fast and still shape the tone and feel of each and every note is amazing, but then again he does have one or two years on me! Played well I think it sounds great at the faster tempo, but it's a good one for showing the cracks when the ability isn't there.

I think I might pull back to 180 for the moment and work on the dynamics, articulation and putting in the scoops.

Pete, if you're following this, did you mention something about some 'performance notes'?

Better go now, my mate is running the London Marathon and he wants to go for a run, I've agreed to cycle along side offering words of encouragement >:) now where did I put that megaphone?

Best wishes and thanks for listening,

Chris

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
One thing that always strikes me about the best players is how easy they make the fast passages sound... Oscar Peterson's a great example of this - incredible note speed, yet the melody is always there. And every note perfectly articulated and perfect expression. Goes with running as well. But I can't imagine Oscar Peterson running (imagine the speed wobble...) - or playing the sax.

OP
Chris98

Chris98

One thing that always strikes me about the best players is how easy they make the fast passages sound... Oscar Peterson's a great example of this - incredible note speed, yet the melody is always there. And every note perfectly articulated and perfect expression. Goes with running as well. But I can't imagine Oscar Peterson running (imagine the speed wobble...) - or playing the sax.
Hi Kev,

I know, all the great players seem to be able to play at speed, yet still have that ease and fluidity as though they have all the time in the world to for each and every note! I'm trying to build speed and evenness with my scales, so hopefully that will help the rest of my playing.

Best wishes,

Chris

OP
Chris98

Chris98

If I did, then I totally forgot. Ooops. I'll try to get round to it.
Hi Pete,

Umm...

BTW, I'm happy to keep this thread open to discuss this track - I'm going to write some performance notes, so all feedback gratefully received.
Out of curiosity is anyone else working on this tune at the moment? I don't want Pete writing up his notes just for me.

Best wishes,

Chris

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Hi chris

Guess what I've just had a go at it,and it's not too bad when you get into it is it, although I must say it's probably the trickiest piece I've attempted so far but you've got to stretch yourself if you really want to improve, I had a go at it when I first downloaded it and then forgot about it really.

Maybe all the members of the forum should learn it and we could have it as our very own signature tune (PETE WILLING OF COURSE).

And then when I've got it under my fingers I'll really have to fathom out this recording lark and show how bad I am:w00t:

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi John,

Are you working on the alto or tenor version? It's good to stretch but if you feel pain back off from it :w00t:... oh sorry that's yoga not music!

At 140 it's not too fast and if there's a bit that catches you out it's slow enough that you can jump back in after the hiccup. Good luck with it.

All the best,

Chris

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Hi Chris,
a long time ago, when I was actually playing, I never thought of playing fast as having anything to do with tempo. More like just flowing with the music. From what I can tell, you know this tune by heart and your skills are quite up to the task. You can more or less bend this tune to your will.

I have no doubt that you could play it at 240 if you only let your conscious go. Don't think, just play :) Focus on the music, the flow and the unfolding of the tune... speed is.... what other perceive.... Or better yet, don't focus at all, just empty your mind. And if it should happen that you miss a note or two (or fumble them up), that's just technique, not tempo :)

Well done and keep at it
Rune

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Hi John,

Are you working on the alto or tenor version? It's good to stretch but if you feel pain back off from it :w00t:... oh sorry that's yoga not music!

At 140 it's not too fast and if there's a bit that catches you out it's slow enough that you can jump back in after the hiccup. Good luck with it.

All the best,

Chris
Hi Chris

I'm learning the tune on alto, like I said it's not too bad really but it will take me a little time to get on top of it though, I put my tutor on to it yesterday to give me a hand he thought it was a nice little piece and a little tricky in parts so the fun goes on for now I'll let you know how it goes ...John:sax:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi Chris,
a long time ago, when I was actually playing, I never thought of playing fast as having anything to do with tempo. More like just flowing with the music. From what I can tell, you know this tune by heart and your skills are quite up to the task. You can more or less bend this tune to your will.

I have no doubt that you could play it at 240 if you only let your conscious go. Don't think, just play :) Focus on the music, the flow and the unfolding of the tune... speed is.... what other perceive.... Or better yet, don't focus at all, just empty your mind. And if it should happen that you miss a note or two (or fumble them up), that's just technique, not tempo :)

Well done and keep at it
Rune
Hello Rune,

You make it sound so easy, and yet it is so hard to let go and trust that my fingers will find the right notes and that the music within will take on a life and flow out with its own energy. You are so right in every way and I feel like I've been needing to be told that even though I already knew it, if that makes any sense at all.

I while ago now I started reading a book called 'The Inner Game of Music' I think it might be worth digging the book out again. Have you read it?

Best wishes,

Chris

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi John,

I'm looking forward to hearing your version of this tune, it would be nice to have someone else working on it as well and to hear a different interpretation, particularly on the alto.

All the best,

Chris

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
I while ago now I started reading a book called 'The Inner Game of Music' I think it might be worth digging the book out again. Have you read it?
Hi Chris,
alas, I have not. It would probably be a good idea to get a hold of it and brush up on music theory too. Is is probably as rusty at the playing bit :)

But the main thing (not only in music, but everywhere) is not to regard anything as difficult. If you do, it is the only thing it can be. And it surely helps being reminded sometimes. And, Chris, once you let the barriers in the mind go, it is (perhaps not easy, but) easier.

Happy playing
Rune

El Robo

Hi Chris,

Enjoyed listening to your recordings. I thought the quicker tempo ones had alot of life in them and had me tapping me foot.

I agree with Rune about how we the approach we take affects our performance. I taught martial arts for many years and saw more people defeated by themselves than by their opponents!

My wife uses the analagy of painting a room. If she does n't like the colour she learns from her mistake and paints it again, nobody got hurt! :)
we also have to go beyond our comfort zone to improve

Life is too short to allow worry to restrict us. I had a heart attack 2 years ago at the age of 42. In the immediate aftermath my only regrets were of things I had n't yet done. i think what I am using too many words to say is, go for it! Your recordings sound great and i look forward to hearing more

Rob

Phil Edwards

Hi John,

I'm looking forward to hearing your version of this tune, it would be nice to have someone else working on it as well and to hear a different interpretation, particularly on the alto.

All the best,

Chris
I recorded an alto version some time ago but have been so busy with other things that I'd forgotten about it. I must upload it and let you have a listen.

Phil

OP
Chris98

Chris98

But the main thing (not only in music, but everywhere) is not to regard anything as difficult. If you do, it is the only thing it can be. And it surely helps being reminded sometimes. And, Chris, once you let the barriers in the mind go, it is (perhaps not easy, but) easier.

Happy playing
Rune
Thank you Rune, I really appreciate your thoughts. I will ease my grip on those barriers in my mind and let them dissolve away and allow the music through.

Warmest best wishes,

Chris

OP
Chris98

Chris98

Hi Chris,

Enjoyed listening to your recordings. I thought the quicker tempo ones had alot of life in them and had me tapping me foot.

I agree with Rune about how we the approach we take affects our performance. I taught martial arts for many years and saw more people defeated by themselves than by their opponents!

My wife uses the analagy of painting a room. If she does n't like the colour she learns from her mistake and paints it again, nobody got hurt! :)
we also have to go beyond our comfort zone to improve

Life is too short to allow worry to restrict us. I had a heart attack 2 years ago at the age of 42. In the immediate aftermath my only regrets were of things I had n't yet done. i think what I am using too many words to say is, go for it! Your recordings sound great and i look forward to hearing more

Rob
Hi Rob,

I do find the whole idea fascinating that the way we approach something has a strong determining factor on how we experience it and the eventual outcome. I have read that ideally we should approach everything with a ‘beginners’ mind’ rather than the restrictive controlled mind that I tend to adopt as I become more experienced with whatever it is I am doing. These ideas seem quite straightforward when read, but tend to be harder to adopt as they seem to go against what we’ve been taught from a young age.

And thank you for kind comments on my recordings, I get a little nervous about posting them, but it’s great to get feedback and to have a record so that I know how I’m doing. I guess like most people I wish I was better but I am what I am and this is what I can do now, tomorrow though is a different day and in a years time... who knows :w00t:

Best wishes,

Chris

OP
Chris98

Chris98

I recorded an alto version some time ago but have been so busy with other things that I'd forgotten about it. I must upload it and let you have a listen.

Phil
Hi Phil,

Please do post your recording, I'd love to hear your version of Jumpin' Jam. What tempo did you do it at?

Best wishes,

Chris

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom