support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

(July 2016) Blues Key of the Month: Concert Ab [Major or Minor]

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
We've already used up most of the well known keys for blues, at least as far as the jazz world goes, but let's carry on working our way through all of the keys. Last month we tried both major and minor, so let's do that again.

The next key(s) for the Cafe Saxophone blues recordings series is concert Ab. So for Bb saxes that is Bb and Eb saxes will play in F.

The guidelines for these threads are that each person who wants to take part chooses their own backing track in whatever style they like, provided that it's in the right key and can be classed as "blues". Then they record their sax playing and link to it from here.

There are lots of good backing tracks on YouTube.

It's up to you whether you want to play a blues with a "head" (tune) or just improvisation.

Some well known blues tunes in concert Ab major are:
  • Blues in the Closet (Oscar Pettiford)
  • Jelly Roll (Charles Mingus)
  • Freight Trane (Tommy Flanagan)
  • Chi Chi (Charlie Parker)
I couldn't find any well known blues tunes in concert Ab minor, but maybe you can suggest some.

Please keep the submissions coming all month - and any suggestions you have for getting more people involved.

Rhys

Nice one Rhys! A Dutch pro player once told me that Ab is the key for 'real man'! I didn't play much in that key, but last time I checked I still was a real man (I think)!

In May 2014 we did on SOTW the Blues 'Birks's Works' from Dizzy Gillespie. For tenor it's in Bb (so Ab concert), but the first chord (for tenor) is Gm, so not sure if this one counts for a 'real' Blues in Ab (concert).

I did use that song to compare two of my mouthpieces. One take was done on a new Phil-Tone Mosaic 9 and one on my trusted 50's Florida no USA 10* Otto Link. Both takes played on the same Plasticover 2 reed and Selmer SBA tenor, with the same small amount of reverb added to the takes.

- 'Birk's Works' (Mosaic 9 - Plasticover 2):
Birk's Works (Mosaic 9 - Plasticover 2) by mrpeebee

- 'Birk's Works' (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2):
Birk's Works (Florida no USA 10* - Plasticover 2) by mrpeebee

I preferred the Link take by the way, but that won't surprise anyone!

Hope to do some new takes later this month.

The key concert Ab has always been popular on tenor (key of Bb) due to the construction on the tenor saxophone. The low Bb is important to blow and Ab concert is sonorous on tenor. Odd key for the Rock(sax)players. Even the bluesbands seems to avoid this key.

Quick off the mark and nice jobs, @mrpeebee and @Veggie Dave - good work on the head and then good solos. I like the use of space and the building solos.

But I think Birk's Works is a minor blues in F minor, which is the relative minor of Ab major (i.e. four flats). Ab minor is the relative minor of B major and so would have seven flats (or five sharps). Anyway, it was fun hearing those recordings of a nice jazz blues.

Keep them coming.

Rhys

I just realised that I recorded "Slow Motion Blues" last November and that is in concert Ab. It's a lovely slow blues originally recorded by Lester Young with Teddy Wilson and it also appears on the Dennis Taylor book "Blues Saxophone", which is where I got the backing track.

https://app.box.com/s/2l4j40lsqanvf0dwg1oksof7olylajh8

Rhys

Last edited:
Odd key for the Rock(sax)players. Even the bluesbands seems to avoid this key.
I don't think I've ever used it in public.

Correction: I don't think I've ever used this key when playing in a rock or blues band - or at a jam. In the 10 or so years I spent playing in a dance band (Glenn Millerish) obviously it cropped up quite a lot.

I recorded an alto sax version of Charles Mingus' (slightly tongue in cheek) tune "Jelly Roll". It's fun to play and has an unusual 14 bar structure, but in concert Ab, so alto F.

The backing track is from the book "Charles Mingus - More than a Play-along" which is very good. As well as the playalong CD there is another CD with the same recordings but with the tenor playing of the excellent Seamus Blake. In fact they didn't manage to completely remove him from the playalong versions of the tracks and you may hear him faintly in the background at a couple of points.

https://app.box.com/s/q3emgkwow23nghi2ip36xo9ymxo5g47h

Trying a new (very old SML) mouthpiece that I am liking a lot.

Rhys

PS I hope some more people are going to post on this month's thread.

Last edited:
Good job @jimmylh - yes, Work Song is a bluesy song in concert Fmin which is Gmin on the tenor.

I think the call and response works well and your tenor tone comes out really well in the recording.

I'm happy for these tunes in the "wrong" key to be posted in the thread - at least there is some action going on. Maybe once all of the months have been completed, we should have a sort out and put the posts and recordings into the thread with the right key signature - what do you all think ?

Rhys

Thanks @rhysonsax. The Ab minor key has me a little confused in relation to the Ab major. Ab major and F minor share the same key sig, correct? On my circle of fifths, I don't see an Ab minor. There is a G# minor which is the relative minor of B major which I would think doesn't go along with this month's key. My logic is that for tenor, Bb major and Gm share the same key sig so that was my logic that it would qualify for this month's key.

Having the same number of flats or sharps is not necessarily having the same key signature. Two flats might be Bb major or G minor (the relative minor of Bb major, with the key note being a minor third down).

So Bb minor is the relative minor of Db major (key note a minor third up), and would have five flats. In general, the minor key has three more flats (or three fewer sharps) than the same key note's major key signature.

This month's key is Ab major (four flats) or [its parallel minor] Ab minor (seven flats = five sharps, known as G# minor).

Phew, hope that is clear.

Rhys

I know this isn't the most active thread but I do like having a new key each month, if for no other reason than it challenges you to play in keys that you may otherwise ignore.

I, for example, am having a bit of a hard time with Bb but I'm persevering. :)

Should stop you getting bored. And help your theory, working out which thread everything would have to go in. I can see days of fun moving postings back and forth !

Rhys
Such a sweet talker, help my theory indeed! (You are right of course :))

Just send me a list with links and post numbers to move when you are ready

Jx

I recorded an alto sax version of Charles Mingus' (slightly tongue in cheek) tune "Jelly Roll". It's fun to play and has an unusual 14 bar structure, but in concert Ab, so alto F.

Very nice playing.
I have a quartet arrangement of Jelly Roll, which is also very good.

Cheers, Guenne

Very nice playing.
I have a quartet arrangement of Jelly Roll, which is also very good.

Cheers, Guenne

I think I may have that arrangement too, but it's out on (very) long term loan as I haven't played in a sax quartet for years.

It would be good to hear you play that as a multi-track if you can. Or with a real, live quartet if you are in one.

Rhys