support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

July 2015 BOTM First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Given todays technology it was pretty easy to do. Just sort out beforehand who is playing where and what. Even if email accounts can't/won't handle big .wav files there is always box.com, where you can upload them too. Then just share a link. In this case Jeanette sent me the audio as an mp3. Was fun being given something you didn't expect and tbh couldn't remember:confused: what you had done in the first place. Perhaps a duet of the month thread might be something to think about if there is the interest.:) Tenor and soprano seemed to work well together on this one.:thumb:

Chris..

Given todays technology it was pretty easy to do. Just sort out beforehand who is playing where and what. Even if email accounts can't/won't handle big .wav files there is always box.com, where you can upload them too. Then just share a link. In this case Jeanette sent me the audio as an mp3. Was fun being given something you didn't expect and tbh couldn't remember:confused: what you had done in the first place. Perhaps a duet of the month thread might be something to think about if there is the interest.:) Tenor and soprano seemed to work well together on this one.:thumb:

Chris..

Might not need a new thread we can always do them as part of SOTM or BOTM or if @aldevis will let us on IOTM but that would be much trickier :)

Jx

Just want to add my thanks to everyone who posted I have really enjoyed listening to all the recordings. :)

It was great to be able to host the BOTM and actually post on it. I loved doing the duet with @Chris and thank you Chris for the BT's and sheet music and for the shorter versions. I am still hoping some of our lesser experienced members might post and also one other (he's in big trouble if he doesn't) ;)

Do remember these threads can be reopened at any time so if you have a recording please do post it.

Thanks to @fibracell for passing the baton to me and I am sure next months host will be a rare a treat, he doesn't post much but is ever present and a great guy :)

Have fun all :sax::sax::sax:

Jx

@Rob Pealing :thanks1:

So touched you took the time to do this, hope you enjoyed playing it as much as I did listening to it. :)

I am sure our more experienced members will be able to offer more advice than I can but considering you have been playing less than a year I think you are doing great.

Jx

Thank you @Jeanette and @MLoosemore for your encouragement. I must admit that listening to it again this morning I have surprised myself, in a good way,
Thinking about this later what encouraged me to have a go was having the version in G major, the version in A major is difficult for the new apprentice with an alto because there are a lot of very high notes or very low notes depending on the octave, these are difficult to play with good tone consistently. Why not see if making the version you sent me available encourages other new apprentice sax tamers.

@Jeanette, Here is one from an inexperienced player. I took some time off from my homework, It is not note perfect and I lost the tone in the last 2 bars when I tried to make the last 7 beats more interesting. I would be grateful for suggestions for improvement.
https://soundcloud.com/sax-in-a-kayak/the-first-time-i-ever-saw-your-faceev

Your tone, control, and intonation are quite good---especially considering how long you have been playing. The one suggestion I have (since you asked :)) would be to try to listen more to the backing track/accompaniment as you play. I know how challenging this is to do at first when your mind is so focused on playing your part. Something that might help is to sing the melody along with the track several times paying attention to which words line up with the chord changes---especially at the start of each measure such as saw sun eyes moon stars etc. Another good way to practice is to finger the notes silently as you sing the melody and listen to the accompaniment.

@Rob Pealing something I found useful with this was to ask my tutor to record a version that I could play along to. I played it that often that I did start to hear the chord changes as I played, it helped no end with the counting too. When I recorded I deleted his track and added the backing track.

On morning has broken I asked @Chris for a BT with a melody line. Once you know where the notes should be you do seem to be able to start to hear things differently. I still didn't get them all spot on mind :)

I also did find myself singing the tunes in my head as I went along.

The other thing that helped me starting to hear the chord changes was having a go at IOTM as I couldn't employ the above techniques there :)

Jx

I find backing tracks impossible to use unless there's a clear and strong rhythm in them. The commercial ones with the play along books are usually good this way. But others aren't. Knowing the words is a really good help - but many pieces of music don't have lyrics. CTB's suggestion to make some up is a good compromise.

Back
Top Bottom