PPT mouthpieces

Jules finally puts his money where his mouth is...

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
Me backing the very wonderful and decidedly quirky Sandy Dillon in Den Haag last week...

Last edited by a moderator:
Although i'm in awe of you playing on stage. What was that?? Very quirky indeed. I can see why you played in Den Haag lol >:)
I'm just jealous so pay no heed to my comments.

Hi Jules, that's a fancy title. Definitely different, I was brought up on Punk music Jules e.g. vibrators, buzzcocks, sex pistols, Dammed, but i seem to have grown out of it now. Although i do dig out the old vinyl every now and then. Still love do anything you wanna do by Eddie and the Hotrods, not exactly Punk but good. When i have enough cojones i will paste my own playing. Rgds Phil

You should have heard the rest of the set!!! Actually the whole thing was very Tom Waits & Captian Beefheart influenced more than punk (though i'm still partial to a fair bit of punky stuff- though more the New York stuff- richard hell, talking heads, televison etc)

I was thinking of a female Tom Waits before I saw your comment Jools. Good stuff - must be a lot of fun to play. Pity about the (inevitably) over-amp'ed guitarist - not to knock his playing.

Different..... Would like to hear some of the Captain Beefheart like stuff... I'm afraid I grew out of punk before it started.... And moved from hard rock into folk.....

Nice playing, though!

Like it!
How do you get involved with playing that stuff?
Steve

Different..... Would like to hear some of the Captain Beefheart like stuff... I'm afraid I grew out of punk before it started.... And moved from hard rock into folk.....

Nice playing, though!
The whole punk reference a bit of a mis naming- In this case it's only intended to signify high energy & slightly rough round the edges rather than 'in the spirit of 1977' which it certainly isn't!

Like it!
How do you get involved with playing that stuff?
Steve
mainly through being at the wierder end of the london blues scene for saveral years- there used to be a club call 'not the same old blues crap' where I used to play..... plus a love of strip joint R&B and free jazz freakout stuff... (and the ability to play harmonica, sax and musical saw- which features quite heavily)

mainly through being at the wierder end of the london blues scene for saveral years- there used to be a club call 'not the same old blues crap' where I used to play..... plus a love of strip joint R&B and free jazz freakout stuff... (and the ability to play harmonica, sax and musical saw- which features quite heavily)
being taught sax by the guy from Van der Graaf Generator helps too!

Nice to hear you blow ya stuff jules.That's my kind of stuff i like also,i love free jazz and European jazz and hear the Tom Wait's,Nick Cave thing in Miss Dillion's stuff.Must be a blast gigging with her band.:welldone

Nice to hear you blow ya stuff jules.That's my kind of stuff i like also,i love free jazz and European jazz and hear the Tom Wait's,Nick Cave thing in Miss Dillion's stuff.Must be a blast gigging with her band.:welldone
yup- great few gigs- the set's pretty mixed- there are quite a few ballad numbers-which have a sort of tom waits meets portishead kind of thing going- superb for soloing over on tenor, a lot clanky tribal drumming stuff, bits of really raw, sparse blues (howling wolf ish) etc... really fun to play..... and lots of opportunities to play my musical saw!

I liked it Jules, I agree with the female Tom Waits comment. must have been heaps of fun, could lead to absolutely anywhere....man that's freedom...in the extreme...choice Mate.

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu:mrcool

That's great, Jules. An excellent and meaningful dialogue between sax and vocals. I wish I'd seen the whole set. Any dates over here?

Any dates over here?
Not sure at this stage- inevitably shows in the East End of London sooner or later (where Sandy and her husband/guitarist live) plus a on-going association with Alabama3 (sopranos theme music) who she's on the same label as- their lead singer features on quite a few of her studio tracks-and, oddly, Richard Thompson- who's a big fan.....

Not sure at this stage- inevitably shows in the East End of London sooner or later (where Sandy and her husband/guitarist live) plus a on-going association with Alabama3 (sopranos theme music) who she's on the same label as- their lead singer features on quite a few of her studio tracks-and, oddly, Richard Thompson- who's a big fan.....

I'll look out for more info.
Richard Thompson was always a great innovator, so it makes sense to me.

I liked that too, must be a fun gig!

Back
Top Bottom