support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jul 2015 - Morning has broken

Version B seemed to have a bit "rounder" tone to my ears and the intonation was better as well. Both versions were well played. The timing and rhythm are good as is the tone quality and blowing through the phrases. What I would like to hear more of in your playing is more shape and contour to the melodies. This is done using dynamics. Each phrase has a contour based upon the most important note(s). Likewise each song as a whole has an overall contour. One of the most important concepts taught to me is that music is either going to a high point (climax) or leading away from one. It is never stagnant.

I must warn you that when you ask an old retired music teacher for his opinion, you are generally going to get a lot more than you bargained for. :old:

@jbtsax that was precisely the sort of thing I wanted to hear :thanks1:

I discussed this tune with my tutor and I was supposed to be concentrating a little on dynamics but with the excitement of a new mouthpiece to try and the concentration I have to put in to counting and playing the right notes it got forgotten. I might have another go and try and put some in. :)

Jx

@jbtsax that was precisely the sort of thing I wanted to hear :thanks1:

I discussed this tune with my tutor and I was supposed to be concentrating a little on dynamics but with the excitement of a new mouthpiece to try and the concentration I have to put in to counting and playing the right notes it got forgotten. I might have another go and try and put some in. :)

Jx
Unfortunately that is all too common. Playing all the correct notes and rhythms, but forgetting to play the music. I have been guilty of that on many occasions myself. ;)

Thank you @Sue @ProfJames

I think what is holding me back now is confidence, I need to think I can do this, which until now I haven't really believed and then hopefully I can improve on my tone :)

I am determined this year to keep posting so any feedback is appreciated :)

Jx

Just wanted to say big thanks to Kev for hosting this months tune. Also to all that posted, some really nice versions, also I'll single out @Jeanette as she seems to have the recoding bug haha. Everything is coming together nicely just keep on playing an stop thinking about it.. Next months host has been selected and hopefully everything is in place for a good month.

Chris..

Back
Top Bottom