All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Journey

Wade Cornell

I presume the other half of "our" is Derek? Very beautiful. I guess it's mid summer there, and this fits as music to float down one of those lovely canals with a glass of nice vino. Sax could have been a little further forward in the mix (to my ear).

Great to hear so much coming from you and how your sense of composition is expanding out from/past the traditional.

QWales

Someone just brought cakes in to work too, so a great start to my Monday morning all around.

Thanks again for the YouTube link, I never get to here anyone elses posts :thumb:

Colin the Bear

The first time I came across Mr Head was on SoundCloud. Someone who I was following was following him. He plays like I want to play but didn't know till I heard him. Like a penny dropping.

I thought the sax was a bit low and the vibes a bit high on my first listen but on second playing I'm not sure.

You make a good team.

As far as mid summer here goes... Coldest June in living memory. There was a frost a few nights ago.

I got a rainy New York city night scene from a bus window. Very clever drawing pictures with music.

Love it

Jamesmac

Lovely melody and tenor. This is going to sound a bit strange comming from a long time Classical player ( all be it on an other instrument) but I have noticed it before in previous Chris collaborations , is that the tenor from a timing point of view, is too correct. Played with a great tenor sound and feel, but perhaps approached from an assignment kind of view. As in a session player booked to play the theme to a TV. Series.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Come back down Ian>:). Thanks for all the comments guys, I guess we are heading in the right musical direction. Jim perhaps 'Derek' will jump in as it is his tenor playing.. Once again glad you all liked it..

Chris..

Jamesmac

Come back down Ian>:). Thanks for all the comments guys, I guess we are heading in the right musical direction. Jim perhaps 'Derek' will jump in as it is his tenor playing.. Once again glad you all liked it..

Chris..

I would appreciate that, its always good to hear what a musician is expressing with his interpretation, in his own words. BTW lovely melody and tenor playing.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
I would appreciate that, its always good to hear what a musician is expressing with his interpretation, in his own words. BTW lovely melody and tenor playing.

Hi Jim, I put this to Derek, he read it as well. He isn't a member as yet but did ask me to post this

"Well part of me is trying to play correctly, as I am sight reading the written melody, which is usually for the beginning and ending. The aim of my improvisation on a slow number like this one is to play with emotion rather than the notes, but what comes out comes out if you see what I mean. I guess you could say I'm just playing by ear. I think I aim for a nice sound/feel for the whole piece. Of course sometimes this works other times I'm not so lucky."

Hope that in part answers your question..

Chris..

Jamesmac

Hi Jim, I put this to Derek, he read it as well. He isn't a member as yet but did ask me to post this

"Well part of me is trying to play correctly, as I am sight reading the written melody, which is usually for the beginning and ending. The aim of my improvisation on a slow number like this one is to play with emotion rather than the notes, but what comes out comes out if you see what I mean. I guess you could say I'm just playing by ear. I think I aim for a nice sound/feel for the whole piece. Of course sometimes this works other times I'm not so lucky."

Hope that in part answers your question..

Chris..

Yes I understand exactly what Derek means, which is interesting for me because this is how a Classical player would approach a piece. As in the sop rendition of the aria I posted a few weeks back. I read the notes, playing strictly to the note values, but try and express the emotion as the composer intended in what the notes tell us. But my approach to me playing a tenor ballad is taking more liberties with the the written note values, and trying to play with more freedom. I think playing the classics you develop a great respect for what the composer has written and you play and express the music within a framework. It's not that I don't respect a modern piece or a standard, of course I do, it's just I approach it differently. Chris please thank Derek for his explanation, it makes me realise that jazzers also play like classical guys sometimes.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom