All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Jools Holland Hootenanny

Saxlicker

Just caught up on this years (good ol sky+)
I haven't watched the last couple of years but I must say I thoroughly enjoyed every performance this time.

Especially great to see Rico Rodriguez still dodging.

Anyone else catch it?

Filton

Yep caught most of it. Myself and my good lady have an annual Christmas outing every year to see Jools at Portsmouth Guildhall. Always have to get the tickets nearly a year in advance and it is the highlight of the festive season for me. Every year Rico comes out and gives a solo performance and is still awesomw even at 77 years young !!

Dwfinitely worth looking them out if ever playing nearby - in fact I am aware that Jools and band are playing Thursday night of the Wickham Festival in 2012which is good for those of us local enough to catch it :)

rhysonsax

Saw a few bits and pieces.

Derek Nash taking some hot alto solos and Caro Emerald, who is a singer that I have just been introduced to (by CD rather than in person).

Cyndi Lauper was surprisingly good and Jools Holland did his (pretty limited) boogie piano thing. I missed Buddy Greco but will try to catch him on the iPlayer.

Rhys

Saxlicker

Yeah!!!
Not forgetting Betty Wright, Ruby Turner, and new to me was Imelda May.

All the others were great too.

trimmy

One day i will...
When I'm working on new years eve, i come home around 11ish to let the new year in and have watched the last umpteen years of his hogmanay show. I love it, also been to see him live twice great shows both times.
It gets you in a good mood for the new year, some great perfomances last night James Morrison was good, Imelda May, in fact its easier to say the group I didn't like was The Vaccines.

saxplorer

To be honest, the one who astonished me was Sandie Shaw ... whereas Cyndi Lauper seemed to be trying too hard, I thought Sandie was just having a ball and her enthusiasm carried everything along.

Young Col

Well I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I think the Hootenenay show has been going downhill for some years. We only watched bits of it as there wasn't much else going on. It's such a strange mix of unknowns like the Vaccines (who we didn't reckon either), has beens (someone really should tell Sandie Shaw, like Marianne Faithfull, that it's time to give up) and better people. Thought Buddy Greco struggled a bit with Fly Me To The Moon but even on a good night he would not have come near the Sinatra/Basie version (both Jules and Sinatra used the great Quincy Jones arrangement).

But being positive, yes good to see Rico still there. Saw him on the London Underground once, unmistakeable with trombone case and beret.
YC

Rico Vandoren

I thought Pokey LaFarge was the best thing on the show. Sandie is still looking good and was obviously enjoying it. Also liked Caro Emerald.
However, thought Jools was looking tired and going through the motions, Betty Wright was doing the same old ' blues mama' act, and should really call it a day. Cyndi Lauper- why bother? Also Jessie J was out of her league.
I enjoyed watching the horn and brass sections at work.

Filton

To be fair on Sandie Shaw, she was dragged in at the last minute for the tour (after much persuasion) because Shane McGowan dropped out . . . and she was pretty good when we saw her live even though she openly admitted that she hadn't sung properly for 25 years.

Rock Lobster

Yep caught most of it. Myself and my good lady have an annual Christmas outing every year to see Jools at Portsmouth Guildhall. Always have to get the tickets nearly a year in advance and it is the highlight of the festive season for me. Every year Rico comes out and gives a solo performance and is still awesomw even at 77 years young !!

Dwfinitely worth looking them out if ever playing nearby - in fact I am aware that Jools and band are playing Thursday night of the Wickham Festival in 2012which is good for those of us local enough to catch it :)
Happy new year everyone. Filton, saw Jools at our City Hall on the 23rd, fantasic. Dont know if Joolss tells the same stories each night but as you will know he has a bit of a connection with sunny Newcastle what with working on the Tube and marrying a lady from these parts. He had everyone rolling in the aisles laughing at some of his stories, my favorite was, after each Tube show everyone would repair to the pub across the road where in Joolss words, "the manager was never born to smile". One evening Jools poped over with Miles Davis who was carrying his instrument case. The manager pulled Jools over and said "and you can tell him he is not getting that thing out in here, we dont have a music licence". What can you say!

Marty-B

Yep, Pokey Lafarge & Co did it for me,and the second number by Caro Emerald. But the real standout performance for me this year was the horn section (well done to you all) I for one, and my missus, I suppose that makes two? were proud of you!!

TomMapfumo

I'm with Young Col on this one - just get a little tired of the brash overweight Black Women belting it out, Jools and his endless Boogie Woogie vibe, and the excessive US influence. Wish for a more distinctly European or British Vibe, and time that some folks were put out to grass, especially Buddy Old Greco.

Rico Rodriguez was the highlight - inspirational trombonist and ska merchant!
We could do with a change next year - maybe built around Bellowhead or similar!

old git

Tremendous Bore
Suspect YC is still missing The White Heather Club but he does do a really swinging version of "Donald, where's your trousers?" on his Mauriat.

Young Col

I told you not to tell anyone about that. Can't trust anyone. Actually I've been trying to do Andy Stuart's "A Scottish Soldier" but however hard I squeeze the sax under my arm (see the Italian Maigret thread) I just can't get that whining bagpipe sound. Am I doing something wrong?

old git

Tremendous Bore
If you let go of that part, I shall happily make bagpipe noises for you on the Yam 9000 Pro but I refuse to wear a kilt.

Young Col

Och away with ye. Ye'd look grand going down Addiscombe Road with your sporran and your haggis and all. Just don't wear the dirk or you'll get banged up.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom