All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Jooles Holland and the golden voice of Gregory Porter.

breathless

About a year ago I discovered an amazing soul Jazz vocalist by the name of Gregory Porter on the Jools Holland show and have both of his albums, a few months ago the wife and I decided we would like to go see Gregory so tried to find out if and when he would be touring.

We discovered he was going to be touring with the Jooles Holland band on there UK tour, after a scour over the dates and our calendar we booked tickets for last night in Milton Keynes as this would be about the only date we would be able to get to.

For those that have not seen Jooles Holland band it was an acoustic extravaganza, 12 people in the brass and woodwind section alone (5 yes 5 saxophones including a baritone).

Ruby Turner did several songs, Mark Flanagan opened with some exceptional guitar work and eventually Gregory Porter made an appearance although sadly only sang 3 of his own songs and 2 with Jooles and Ruby.

It was a fantastic evening and work highly recommend it!

BUT, a couple of negatives, 1st my wife was very disappointed at the short performance by Mr Porter, considering this seems to be the only way to get to see him, I won't deni I was also a little disappointed for the same reason although I counter-balanced that disappointment with the shear jubilation of hearing 5 saxs play in unison!

The only other thing I could fault was the fact that after 25 minutes of listening to Mark Flanagan opening set there was a 25 minute interval so that accounted for the first hour of a 2.5 hour show as it ended dead on 22.30.

But again I must say that it was a fantastic gig but not sure the logistics of having to arrange time of work, get the kids 35 miles to there grand parents then a 2.5 hour drive to Milton Keynes and again the lovely gift drive back after then having to go and collect the kids today was entirely worth the 2 hours performance!

Or did I expect to much.?

Rgds Lee.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Ruby's one of our members, so she must hav been good!

Must try and see them one day.

trimmy

One day i will...
Iv'e seen Jools band twice now and both occasions have been brilliant :)

I would love to attend his hogmanay on New years eve

Justin Chune

They can all be heard this coming Sunday evening at Edinburgh's Festival Theatre. This will be the big finale to this years Jazz Festival.

Jim.

breathless

Kev, Ruby really was the fantastic and probably what swing it for me from being very disappointing from only getting a few songs from Gregory to being an otherwise enjoyable evening! Ruby really is amazing, what a voice?

Trimmy, I've with you on the Hootnany! The wife and I haveseen the new year in together with jooles, it's simply tradition in our house and what a way to see it in?

Justin, Edinburgh's a bit far for me but I'm sure it will be an enjoyable event.

I shall continue watching the clubs lists and try to get to see Gregory Porter for more than 3 songs this time!

Lee.

Rock Lobster

For me Jools is a top show every year. He always finishes his tour just before Christmas in Newcastle and every time it's been a sold out blast. The theme has always been a bit of everything and a bit of everyone but the horn section alone is a joy. I didnt have the hassle of dropping kids off in another hemisphere and all but if i had to do it i would.

PS Sax teacher in Beruit, help!

Doodah

BUT, a couple of negatives, 1st my wife was very disappointed at the short performance by Mr Porter, considering this seems to be the only way to get to see him, I won't deni I was also a little disappointed for the same reason although I counter-balanced that disappointment with the shear jubilation of hearing 5 saxs play in unison!

The only other thing I could fault was the fact that after 25 minutes of listening to Mark Flanagan opening set there was a 25 minute interval so that accounted for the first hour of a 2.5 hour show as it ended dead on 22.30.

Rgds Lee.
I saw Jools in Dublin last year. Same thing with guitarist on for 30 min set and then an inexplicable 30 minute interval! :dontgetit: Audience were starting to get impatient, slow claps going. Music was great, lots of talent on stage, but for a paying audience, they need to drop the interval and keep the show going.
The Hootenanny has been part of our NYE celebrations for many a year and Later... has introduced me to soooo much more good music.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Trimmy, I've with you on the Hootenanny! The wife and I have seen the new year in together with jooles, it's simply tradition in our house and what a way to see it in?
Our household has also seen in the New Year on many occasions with the Hootenanny. But I was very disappointed to find out that it wasn't actually live:( - I believe its recorded in Oct/Nov.

Filton

Jools has been a solid marker for the Christmas season for us for many a year - He always plays Portsmouth at the beginning of December and I buy the ticketa as aoon as they are on sale, usually around February. It is always a great show.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

trimmy

One day i will...
But I was very disappointed to find out that it wasn't actually live:(
Noooooo that's like finding out there is no father christmas....no tooth fairy....no easter bunny :crying:

What else is there for me to believe in !!! :shocked:

breathless

I saw Jools in Dublin last year. Same thing with guitarist on for 30 min set and then an inexplicable 30 minute interval! :dontgetit: Audience were starting to get impatient, slow claps going. Music was great, lots of talent on stage, but for a paying audience, they need to drop the interval and keep the show going.
The Hootenanny has been part of our NYE celebrations for many a year and Later... has introduced me to soooo much more good music.
Think you've hit the nail on the head! 30 minute interval???? Can't quite understand that, Mark Flanagan played his opening 25-30 minute set then this 30 minute break? But Jools or anyone else hadn't been on yet so why wernt they ready to come on within a few minutes? It's interesting that they have obviously stuck to this format as it was the same for you.
Does make you wonder if its worth the £40 per ticket? The first gig I went to at the 606 club in chelsea was Ben Clatworthy, he is nearly 70 years old and played a 4 hour set with one 25 minute break and inc- a meal for the wife and I that cost £65.

I know it's not quite the same gig but does make you start to question these things!

The wife and I were planning on going out a few weeks ago and I came across Boisedales in canary wharf, Yolanda Brown was playing but after I worked out what it was going to cost for the wife and I it just became non viable, we was looking at around £150 bill without drinks! As you have to eat if you are having a table.

It's a shame but I think it's this situation that isn't helping Jazz, I don't think what I paid for an evening at the 606 is bad at all when you consider the wife and I had a meal and got a fantastic 4 hour show for £65 which is about the same or maybe a little cheaper than pizza express soho but then the shows there tend to only be 2-2.5 hours although the leat gig I saw there was Gilad Atzmon and it was all new material and that went on for 3 hours.

I feel that it is this situation that makes the future of live jazz gigs procarerious as the prices rise it pushes the experience into the the realms of the elite and wealthy.

I know there are some places dotted about that provide an evenings live music at a reasonable cost but they are few and far between, and jazz is I think I'm correct in saying a select choice and has no were near as large a following as other genres.

Maybe we all need to form busking party's and just put on free mini gigs in parks, something along the lines of these flash performances of dances that appear in the big stations in london, a sudden appearance play a few pieces then disperse!

I'd certainly be up for it, that is after I learn to play the brass funnel, you never know it could actually start to re-invigorate Jazz.

Rgds Lee.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Think you've hit the nail on the head! 30 minute interval???? Can't quite understand that, Mark Flanagan played his opening 25-30 minute set then this 30 minute break? But Jools or anyone else hadn't been on yet so why wernt they ready to come on within a few minutes? It's interesting that they have obviously stuck to this format as it was the same for you.
Does make you wonder if its worth the £40 per ticket? The first gig I went to at the 606 club in chelsea was Ben Clatworthy, he is nearly 70 years old and played a 4 hour set with one 25 minute break and inc- a meal for the wife and I that cost £65.

I know it's not quite the same gig but does make you start to question these things!

The wife and I were planning on going out a few weeks ago and I came across Boisedales in canary wharf, Yolanda Brown was playing but after I worked out what it was going to cost for the wife and I it just became non viable, we was looking at around £150 bill without drinks! As you have to eat if you are having a table.

It's a shame but I think it's this situation that isn't helping Jazz, I don't think what I paid for an evening at the 606 is bad at all when you consider the wife and I had a meal and got a fantastic 4 hour show for £65 which is about the same or maybe a little cheaper than pizza express soho but then the shows there tend to only be 2-2.5 hours although the leat gig I saw there was Gilad Atzmon and it was all new material and that went on for 3 hours.

I feel that it is this situation that makes the future of live jazz gigs procarerious as the prices rise it pushes the experience into the the realms of the elite and wealthy.

I know there are some places dotted about that provide an evenings live music at a reasonable cost but they are few and far between, and jazz is I think I'm correct in saying a select choice and has no were near as large a following as other genres.

Maybe we all need to form busking party's and just put on free mini gigs in parks, something along the lines of these flash performances of dances that appear in the big stations in london, a sudden appearance play a few pieces then disperse!

I'd certainly be up for it, that is after I learn to play the brass funnel, you never know it could actually start to re-invigorate Jazz.

Rgds Lee.
Minor hijack.....
I've always found it odd that people accuse classical music concerts for being elitist, when most concert halls in the UK you can got to a major concert with tickets usually in the £15 - £40 range: cheap by the standards of rock and pop concerts!
....back to thread

trimmy

One day i will...
The first gig I went to at the 606 club in chelsea was Ben Clatworthy, he is nearly 70 years old and played a 4 hour set with one 25 minute break and inc- a meal for the wife and I that cost £65.
Lee, i think Mr Clatworthy will be having harsh words with you he was born in 1955 !! when i read your post i thought WOW he looks great for nearly 70, but it didn't sit right with me and went on his site. http://www.bennclatworthy.com/
put it down to the lighting in the 606 club ;}

Iv'e seen him 3 times at Parrjazz and he is brilliant and we got our moneys worth as it's only £3 to get in the club ;} he done a 2hr set with 20 mins break. I think he is heavily influenced by Coltrane in the way he plays, and i love the way he puts feeling into the way he plays.

breathless

Lee, i think Mr Clatworthy will be having harsh words with you he was born in 1955 !! when i read your post i thought WOW he looks great for nearly 70, but it didn't sit right with me and went on his site. http://www.bennclatworthy.com/
put it down to the lighting in the 606 club ;}

Iv'e seen him 3 times at Parrjazz and he is brilliant and we got our moneys worth as it's only £3 to get in the club ;} he done a 2hr set with 20 mins break. I think he is heavily influenced by Coltrane in the way he plays, and i love the way he puts feeling into the way he plays.
Trimmy, it would appear I failed to check my facts there And at the cost of being a bit rude! (Whoops).

I should have said looks 70ish but then that's just as rude!
Appoligies to Mr Clatworthy!

But even at around 60 his stamina was impressive which is the point I was making along with the fact that value for money and audiance pleasing was clearly important to him!
He really was impressive to see! And would recomend his performance!

Hope that goes some way to repair my unforgiveable slander? LOL!

As for other clubs and prices ect- I've yet to find anywhere more local that stages such gigs, but have so far failed. Guess that comes from living in the sticks!

Need my jazz fix! Its time to do some internet searching and see what's on at the clubs this month! I'd like to try Ronnie Scotts but I'm told that's probably the most expensive of all these clubs!

Rgds Lee.

AndyWhiteford

I watch Jools Holland's show, - he seems to think there is no type or genre of music-group ... whether from the plains of Africa, the fisherman of the Arctic, or the rainforests of South America ... that can't be improved with the addition of a little boogie-woogie piano :-/

nakedlunch

I saw Gregory Porter play last night to a small audience of about 150 in Hyde Park (an Olympics corporate thingy). Never seen him before but I have heard nothing but good things. He was pretty good and played for over an hour. I wanted to ask him why he permanently has that funny hat glued to his head, but thought it might be impolite!

breathless

I saw Gregory Porter play last night to a small audience of about 150 in Hyde Park (an Olympics corporate thingy). Never seen him before but I have heard nothing but good things. He was pretty good and played for over an hour. I wanted to ask him why he permanently has that funny hat glued to his head, but thought it might be impolite!
Naked- you really know how to upset someone! Lol!

Joking aside I'm getting quite annoyed at whoever is managing the golden voiced genius Gregory Porter! The reason is this, since I discovered him I have searched the Internet / jazz clubs in a bid to get to go and see the man somewhere and was willing to travel within reason.
However the only trace of a Gig was with Jools holland,which in my book was a bonus, however On the night (and it took 2 days of logistics, what with 2 young children to organise care ect-, time off work) to get to go and see the gig in Milton Keynes (which is approx- 2 hours each way).

However you can imagine my wife and my own disappointment when Gregory only sang 3 of his songs!

Since then I've now learnt he has done a gig at pizza express with jammie cullum and now you have informed me of an hour long gig in Hyde park!

I'm starting to feel slightly robbed of the £80 I paid last week!

Rgds Lee.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
I happened to have him on stage as a guest at the Cheltenham JF. Great voice, but what about his cap?

breathless

I happened to have him on stage as a guest at the Cheltenham JF. Great voice, but what about his cap?
I'm not sure where I got this from but I believe I read somewhere he has burns, hence the hood.
However I can't recall where I got this from so can't validate it in my own head so could be completely wrong.

Lee.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom