support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Joining a band...

hairypete1138

I hope that this is a decent place to post this, so here goes. I've been playing tenor for just about a year now and having just upgraded to a BW bronze tenor, my confidence is shooting up. However, playing on my own is starting to get a bit repetetive, so I'm really interested in joining a band (rock, soul, ska, big or wind) just so I can get used to playing with other people. Obviously I'm keeping an eye out for band adverts in local music shops etc, but I was wondering if anyone knew of wind bands or big bands in the Coventry area who don't insist on a minimum grade for new members? I can't help but think that this would have been much simpler if I was learning as a child, but sadly as a 30-year old bloke with a massive beard, I'd probably get put on a register if I tried to join a youth band!
Thanks in advance for any help or advice you might have.
Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete, can't help you directly but you may find an adult education college (evening class) that runs groups. Down here mine runs three levels which between them cater for all standards of playing. Playing with any group improves you really quickly.
Taz on here lives your way (and is also Pete) so may have some ideas.
Why not introduce yourself in the Doorbell section?
Cheers
YC

Have a look in Gumtree - there is a section usually under "Community" for Music and Musicians, and there are often ads for bands/organisations looking for players.

In the hometown of 2-Tone, there shouldn't any shortage of opportunities for sax-players!

I can't help you in your location, but what about asking your teacher, or a friend's teacher, too?

My sax teacher started and runs and conducts a community band (for want of a better word) - there is no minimum requirement, but as a guide grade 3 level. Anyone "windy" is welcome and we play for fun. We've done village fetes. church fetes, old peoples homes, hospices and the likes. No-one gets paid, a bucket is put out for any donations, all of which go to pay for new music.

I agree with you, it's a brilliant way of upping your musicianship without feeling any pressure, and it's a great social event too.

With a little pressure from my music teacher, I joined 4 terms ago, and found myself playing a 4 bar solo in "Jesus Christ Superstar" last summer, because the Alto 1 was on holiday. I was really nervous, but I did it, note perfect, wonderful for boosting the self-confidence too.

Hi Pete, firstly welcome to the forum from just down the road. Have you tried looking for jam sessions in Cov? That can be a great place to find band members, or even just fellow musicians looking to play together. I know it's a slight treck for you, but if you can get to The Sharnford Arms in Sharnford on the first Monday of the month, they have a great jam there and are a really friendly bunch. I've only been once but I'll try my hardest to get back there. Well worth it in my opinion!
Hope your lucky.

No good for you Pete, but I joined the Windsor Community Orchestra a couple of years ago - best thing I ever did (sax wise!)

It's great fun, you get to meet and play with new people, and your sight reading improves!!!

Coventry wind bands

They may not play Ska, but welcome ungraded new members:

http://www.coventryfestivalband.co.uk/membership.html

Bedworth Town Centre March 2014 - About The Band

Google with "community" & "wind" for more....

Check out YouTube to get an idea what bands like these play.... in can be very challenging but we all have to start somewhere...

good luck!

Last edited:
Morning all! I thought I'd resurrect this thread as a bit of an update. In July I still hadn't had any joy finding a group that fit in with my other commitments. Than I saw a little advert on joinmyband.com or somesuch website for a Ska/Punk band in Cov looking for horns. I went along, met the rest of the band (all of whom make me feel like the old man of the sea!) and have been playing sax for Wasted Seth ever since. This weekend just gone we went and recorded 4 tracks at the Moonbase in Coventry (great studio if anyone is interested), and it would be great to get some feedback from folks since this is the first 'proper' sax recording I've done! You can hear and/or download the songs from the band's facebook page www.facebook.com/wastedseth
Sorry if this appears like blatant self promotion, but I figure that most people on here know what they're talking about, and I value your opinions.
Cheers
Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pete!

It sounds very good. After a slightly hesitant start you seem to produce a good sound and your tongueing is pretty solid, without being jarring or abrupt. I'd love to join a ska band - but probably on trombone (my former teacher was playing on Jools Holland last night, and is in Paolo Nutini's band - so all the Specials hits etc. are well practised).

Self promotion is really important, otherwise you would not be getting feedback and encouragement from people who want you to do well. When I cook something I am always asking for honest feedback, not just average, nice comments, which mean nothing in the wider scheme of things.

Well done, give yourself a Shiny!
Tom

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom