All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones John Packer alto

dooce

I've been looking to buy a relatively cheapie alto on ebay for a couple of weeks and have put out some tentative bids on a few - one of which I won, to my immense surprise.

A John Packer, for 53 quid! I know nothing more than that till I get my hands on it, but JP stuff seems to have a decent reputation for basic instruments - my teacher plays one of their baris and rates it very highly. So we'll see what's in the box at the weekend.....

AndyG

Nice one.....at that price it's got to be a bargain even if it does need anything to get it sorted. :welldone

jonf

Fifty three quid? ****ing ****! Amazing, congratulations on your good fortune. Even if it needs a tweak that's a bargain. If you don't like it you'll easily sell it at a profit, if you put together a decent advert.

Nice one.

Jon

dooce

Well, Dooce, what's it like?
Don't know yet! The seller won't post and as it's in Peckham, wrong side of London for me, I can't get down to collect it till a week Saturday. I just hope it's not being sold by Trotters Independent Trading Co, given its location.....

AndyG

Don't know yet! The seller won't post and as it's in Peckham, wrong side of London for me, I can't get down to collect it till a week Saturday. I just hope it's not being sold by Trotters Independent Trading Co, given its location.....
Sax will probably be ok, but I would stay clear if while youre there he starts trying to sell you a watch....or a doll :)))

dooce

Picked it up today - turns out it's not a John Packer at all, it's an Amati AAS21 - does that ring any bells with anyone? It is obviously a student instrument, but is solid and has a reasonable action. Good condition, played straight away, dodgy low C# pad and one missing key pearl are the only things I can find wrong with it. Case has taken a bit of a kicking as well. A bit of Brasso, and it's starting to look lovely! A good 53 quids worth. Still quite good value even if you factor in the £30 I spent on diesel collecting it.......

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Amati are Czech saxes, the firm grew out of the pre war german/czech firms in Kraslice (Graslitz is the German name), which were all nationalised by the post war communist government. :w00t: No name brands like Kohlert & Keilwerth. ;}

Can't remember when, but relatively recently they adopted a numbering system similar to Yamaha - Probably in the 90s, but I'm not really sure. Will see if I can find a serial number chart.

dooce

There's some more info here. http://cafesaxophone.com/showthread.php?1061-Amati-Kraslice-Alto

Looks as if the serial number charts aren't published. However one of the german sax forums has a post saying that guys who email Amati get produciton dates from the serial number. Looks from Thom's post as if your sax is relatively new.
Thanks for that link Kev - my alto is the same series then as Taz's tenor - his is ATS21, mine is AAS21 - the serial number is even quite close to his so they are probably a similar vintage. Having played Taz's beast and knowing how he rates it, I is well chuffed!

jonf

So, Bill. Cost = £83 collected, and it needs a pearl and a pad. Say a fiver to sort out yourself, or £15 to pay someone else to do it. That has to be a bargain, andy decent-playing sax for under a hundred has to be a great deal. well done.

Jon

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I get the feeling that the Amati's are under-rated, not that I've played one. Certainly they had quality issues in the past, but I think they sorted them out a while ago.

dooce

Just had a very fulfilling afternoon - took the sax apart (first time I have ever tried this with a sax), cleaned it, polished, and put it all back again.

What did I learn from this? 1 - how simple a sax mechanism is, despite looking so fearsomely complicated; 2 - this is a nice bit of engineering. Staggeringly, it all worked when I got it re-assembled, and now looks a little cracker.....

I found a Yamaha 6 mp knocking around, and it sounded great. I reckon any problems with it, I can sort with suitable bits of cork packing - the pad I though was dodgy just isn't sitting tight enough. A thoroughly satisfying couple of days.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Nice one Bill, it sounds like you got yourself a right little corker! I emailed Amati with the serial number and they told me mine was made in 1960. amati@amati.cz is the address you need. I'll be interested in seeing and hearing the old girl too.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom