Taming The Saxophone

John packer 141 blues

eb424

Hi

Sentiment got the better of me again and i bought the jp 141 blues as id been looking for one for ages... I started on this sax and really enjoyed its tone and projection. The only problem with it aside from having black MOP keys is the transition between c and d. Is there anything that can be done bout it or is it just a fault on the sax.

I look forward to your reply's as usual

Eddie

OP
E

eb424

Hi

not sure really just heard the transitin from c-d " isn't there" on this sax. TBF my transition from c-d "isn't there" my tutor tells me im hitting several other notes on the way through. I was just wondering really if anything can be done to a sax to change this.

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
C to D is one of those 'jumps' that you just have to practice and practice. You may find one sax is easier to make this transition on compared to another but I don't think you'll find one that makes it easy.

OP
E

eb424

Ahh so when people say that the transition isn't there on a certain sax there's nothing that can be done..

saxyjt

I suspect a leak... I had one on my recently repaded YTS-23 that I missed. Not a big one, but it was sufficient to disturb me deeply... For weeks! :confused:

The leak was on the side Bb key.

Besides the stuffy D, it caused notes from low F to D to behave strangely especially on attack. If it makes any sense!

OP
E

eb424

I havent got the sax yet it was just on reviews people were saying the JP 141 dont have the transition from c to d and i wondered what it meant..

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
I havent got the sax yet it was just on reviews people were saying the JP 141 dont have the transition from c to d and i wondered what it meant..
I'm not sure that it means anything. There is no special "from C to D" mechanism that this saxophone is lacking, if that is what you are wondering.

Have you experienced a problem going from C to D, or have you just been told about it?

Slurring up to a middle D is problematic on any saxophone - if you don't put your fingers down in the right order, it will squeak.
The trick is to lead with the third finger of the left hand.

Greg Strange

I think the best advice is to wait until you have the sax in your possession before worrying about what other individuals have commented in reviews. I assume the transition you refer to is playing from second octave C to second octave D. Playing "over the break" as this is called whether it's on a saxophone and flute (C to D) or clarinet (A or Bb to B) can be difficult to grasp as a beginner and requires plenty of practice to master a smooth action. If the saxophone you are purchasing is a second hand or pre-loved instrument I would recommend taking it to a sax repair tech to have the instrument serviced and set up or any repairs done if necessary.

Greg S.

Colin the Bear

Lord save us from online reviews. The only opinion worth having, aside from your own, is someone you know and trust. Someone who you have heard play and knows what they're talking about. This is this first time I'm hearing transition.

Top Bottom