All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Jazz Joe Harriott and Stan Tracey - In A Sentimental Mood

altissimo

Joe Harriott with the Stan Tracey Big Brass in 1969

Last edited by a moderator:

rhysonsax

Top, top player with a lovely sound. He could play sweet and he could play rough, he could play out and free. That's a really nice video.

There's a wonderful blues tune I heard on a BBC radio programme of Joe Harriott - "Blues Head" but I haven't been able to find it on CD or mp3.

There's a very good 4CD introduction to Joe's music on Proper - an absolute bargain at around £14. http://www.propermusic.com/product-details/Joe-Harriott-The-Joe-Harriott-Story-35461

Rhys

altissimo

here's the discography, couldn't spot "Blues Head" in there, but there's plenty of other tunes with blues in the title - http://vzone.virgin.net/davidh.taylor/harriott.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Lovely.
I really like Joe's playing and I can also recommend the work he did with John Mayer, one of the first Indian/Jazz fusion bands. Well before John Maclaughlin. His pioneering free jazz albums including Abstract and Freeform are remarkable, "Out-Ornetteing" Ornette Coleman in my opinion by a mile. It's a real shame he died destitute and unloved. Shame on us all.

rhysonsax

here's the discography, couldn't spot "Blues Head" in there, but there's plenty of other tunes with blues in the title - http://vzone.virgin.net/davidh.taylor/harriott.htm
Thanks for that. On the second page of the discography there is a tune called 'Mr Blueshead'. Maybe I have got the name wrong all along !

Now I have to look for the album 'Joe Harriott with The Lansdowne String Quartet - 1967 (Personal Portrait - Columbia SCX/SX6249' with flute, harpsichord and string quartet.

More information on Stan Tracey's website here: Joe Harriott - Personal Portrait

Stan says "Mr Blueshead is a blues of another colour - deeper both in shade and texture, slower and more relaxed in tempo. The theme, by David Mack, is utterly ravishing, and ravishingly exposed by flautist William Bennett. I have always judged the true fibre of a jazz musician by his interpretation of blues, and his ability to express - through this most terse and magnificent of musical forms - the most deeply felt of his musical emotions. As a consequence I have recorded many blues performances in my twenty years of record production, but seldom have I been so moved by a performance for which I hold some responsibility, nor more deeply indebted to the artist who has made such a profound experience possible. Truth to tell, this piece alone justifies the title of the album. "

The search should be easier with the right song title !

Rhys

Last edited:
Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom