All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

M/Pieces - Ligs JodyJazz Power Ring Ligature

GrumpyJim

Locality
Rugby
Could any one give me some advice as to the Jody Jazz Power Ring Ligature?

I play a Hanson Series V Alto with a Selmer Concept mouthpiece, currently using a fabric lig and am wondering whether anyone else could either recommend the above ligature?

I have tried various ligs, metal, leather and fabric, but I seem to suffer from "over tightening syndrome" and I've got the feeling that my reeds (Legere no 2's), aren't free enough to vibrate fully and create that fantastic resonance.

I have tried loosening the lig but then reed slips resulting in awful squeaking/screeching.

Been practising for over two years so don't think it's an embouchure problem (he says hopefully)

Any helpful advice would be gratefully received

davidk

Paints With Notes
Locality
Earth
Hi - My classical alto setup is a Power Ring HRA1 minus on a Selmer Concept. It fits perfectly. The minus sized ligature is the one for older JodyJazz HR* alto mouthpieces. Thomann have them in stock. Be sure to get the minus size if you go down this path.

- David

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
Locality
Bristol, UK
I've got the feeling that my reeds (Legere no 2's), aren't free enough to vibrate fully and create that fantastic resonance.
In my opinion, the ligature does make a difference, but not enough to change from "dissatisfied with my tone" to "satisfied".

If you are not satisfied with your sound then it could be due to mouthpiece or reed, but very likely embouchure.

Been practising for over two years so don't think it's an embouchure problem (he says hopefully)
That sounds overly hopeful to me. Two years is not much.

Long tones! Then more long tones! :old:

Mostlytenor

Locality
London
I use a Concept and it has a very narrow tip opening which usually permits a harder reed. You could try a 1/4 step up in reed strength.
The Concept is conceived as a smooth 'classical' piece with the emphasis on a rounded tone so don't expect much 'edge' out of it unless you go for a harder reed.
Just my tuppenceworth which, of course, might not apply to your experience.

DavidUK

Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
OP, how many other mouthpieces have you tried? If you're trying to get a raspy "jazz" sound perhaps, the Concept may not be the one for you? A harder reed may stop squeaking but the sound may still be too classical for you.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
Locality
McLean, Virginia
currently using a fabric lig and am wondering whether anyone else could either recommend the above ligature?
I would use the Selmer ligature that is designed for that mouthpiece. Or a Rovner fabric. If you are having issues with the fabric ligature, probably because it needs a drop of oil.

As long as the ligature is a good fit and not broken, it doesn't make any difference what you use.

OP
GrumpyJim

GrumpyJim

Locality
Rugby
Started with the ubiquitous Yamaha 4c, have tried a 5c, plus various generic mp's, have a metal mp that is allegedly equivalent to a 5c, but really like the Concept.

Problem is,the tightening screw is too much of a temptation to do it up "army" tight, but if I slacken it off a bit the reed moves about, which is why I was considering this lig,

I have tried a Syos mp with a Syos lig, but wasn't impressed with the build quality of the mp (IMHO) so sent it back

DavidUK

Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
@Pete Thomas , it's a Rovner that I'm using, it's my third as I keep breaking the tightening screw
...and what other ligs have you tried? I'd have given up on the Rovner by now. I do have one I think but prefer a metal lig on almost any MP.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom
test6