support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Ligatures Jody Jazz HR* Alto 6M - No ligature will fit!

Alex9

Café Supporter
Hi

I've started using my Jody Jazz HR* 6M but I can't find a suitable (ideally metal) ligature that fits. They're all too tight or the JJ is too fat!

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Vandoren Optimum - Tight, stops at top of reed stock.
Vandoren MO - Even tighter, doesn't go on at all.
Rico H - Just fits if stretched, not a great lig.
Selmer 2 Screw - Not even close!
BG Duo - Wouldn't get over the mp window.
BG L12 - Closest to fitting, not ideal (and not metal)

The Duo, Selmer and MO I tested and don't own.
I'm using Vandoren ZZ 2.5 reeds or Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong.

I want the lig to fit and have a bit of play along the reed, I like to have the lig quite low down. I don't want to break the bank as this isn't my main piece but I use it a fair bit. That said, I'm willing to invest in a good lig if it works with my other MP's too.

Has anyone tried the Yany Sixs, Wood Stone/Ishimori 2 screw ligs, or anything I haven't mentioned that will work? Maybe I have a particularly fat JJ HR* and need a tenor lig! I've not had this issue with any other MP.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

I have the same mouthpiece, and the Francois Louis Pure Brass for alto fits.

This thread also has suggestions:

Sorry - it hadn't clicked that it was you who revived the other thread. The JodyJazz ring ligature is another metal one that I would expect to be a good fit.

Hi @Alexandra, I posted on the other thread on roughly the same topic. To sum that up: I've been using the BG Duo on the JJ HR*6 for some months by now. They seem to fit very well.
The BG Duo can be quite tricky at the beginning because of its rubber cushions under the screw: just make sure they're not in contact with the mouthpiece when you're putting the ligature on.

I hope this helps.

Have you looked at these legature alto @aldevis or @Absolute may be able to advise on fit for JJ I have one on sop and alto. I was struggling with PPT for alto and it was perfect....

I think he can make to measure.

A few threads re these:
Howarths may stock them so if you call they may be able to check fit?

Jx

Update! I spoke to a UK official stockist of Marc Jean Ligatures and now have a lovely Marc Jean II lig that fits and also sounds amazing.

I sent photos and measurements to the UK shop and I now have a perfect fitting ligature. As people have mentioned here, Marc Jean's ligs are excellent. I got mine at a great price, still not a cheap lig by any means but well worth it.

For those wondering, the Vandoren MO didn't fit and I didn't try the Jody Jazz power ring. I decided I want adjustability, which the ring can't give.

Happy outcome! I'm off to work on some Johnny Hodges pieces.

I'm glad you found something that works for you, and thanks for letting us know about this option. For my post-2016 model, I found the standard Rovner alto ligatures (1RL) to be too small, while the next size up, the 2RBL that Rovner recommends for this mouthpiece, to be a tiny bit too large.

Back
Top Bottom