support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Jody Jazz HR 10* try out

TENOR ?

I have the impression that all good jazz players go for large openings... More than 7 i mean....

Many do. Probably the big majority of good jazz tenor players.

but I dont think it is impossible to have a good sound on a so called close lay.

here are 4 guys i can think of, who are current, and all have great sounds ( imho) on close lays.

Rick Maritza : link 6,
Walt weiskopf; : Link 5*,
Benn Clatworthy : 1950s Hollywood Dukoff 5
Larry McKenna Link 6

What I like about their sounds is that they are all very centred, with a real solid “core’ to the sound. There is a weight to their sounds, with a real strong feel of projection.

I often hear folks on wide mouthpieces, and they dont have a core to their sound.
Usually non pros.
Lots of air and a spread, which can be appealing, but which I find doesnt have much core, or subsequent projection.

However, when done correctly, I do like the spread of wider mouthpieces and my current 3 favourite tenor sounds are Bob reynolds, Melissa Aldana and Max Ionata, who are all on wider than 7. They still have that centered core.

Its a funny old world, this world of sax tone.:)

Ps, as a keen non pro, I still wimp around on my Otto link 6, hoping to sound like anyone from my list of 4 above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the impression that all good jazz players go for large openings... More than 7 i mean....

John Coltrane used Tonemaster 5* with rico 4 reeds... Whatever suits the player...
I love to play with large openings, but it all depends on the style of music. For classical jazz the feeling is great! Your horn fills the room with this lush sound, and your instrument seems to expand in size.

Back
Top Bottom