Jingle Bells Café Medley

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
Contributions are invited for a Jingle Bells Café Saxophone Medley, courtesy of Pete Thomas.

This works like previous Café medleys: Café members submit their recordings of Jingle Bells, and Pete Thomas has generously offered to mix together clips from the various recordings into one medley, with everybody joining in at the end.

Your recording needs to be at the same speed and in the same key as everyone else, and with the same 2-bar intro, so it is best if you use the backing track supplied. However the recording you send to Pete should be your saxophone alone - not including the backing track and without reverb. Pete will add the backing track and suitable acoustic effects.

Please don't post your recording on this thread - you should send it to Pete.
Instructions how to record and submit your contribution are here (You will need to be a member and to be logged in to see this page):
https://cafesaxophone.com/pages/jinglebells/

Notes and backing track are here:
Notes and Backing Track

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, by posting on this thread.

nigeld

Subscriber
The deadline for submissions is Friday 21st December, so that Pete has time to finish it for Christmas day.

saxyjt

Perhaps a bit early for that, but at some point you may want to encourage soprano or baritone takes, if you have too many or let's say a strong proportion of altos and/or tenor takes.

Otherwise I think it's a great idea!

nigeld

Subscriber
Perhaps a bit early for that, but at some point you may want to encourage soprano or baritone takes, if you have too many or let's say a strong proportion of altos and/or tenor takes.

Otherwise I think it's a great idea!
Excellent suggestion. Which of the two are you going to play? >:)

nigeld

Subscriber
We should play it pretty much as written because it needs to be mixed with others, right?
It's fine to embellish the phrases and to improvise, but it won't work if someone records a 144-bar riff modulating through all the keys and quoting all of Coltrane's greatest hits before resolving. Pete needs to be able to take a small excerpt from your recording and insert it into the medley in a way that sounds OK in context.

However, you can play pretty much whatever you like in the last few slow bars - the contributions will get mixed together into one glorious symphony/cacophony of saxophonic exuberance.

nigeld

Subscriber
I'm planning on uploading my sax track from the SOTM thread. The second part is half solo? Is that going to work or shall I re record a straight through melody version?
As long as Pete Thomas could take a piece of your solo (e.g. 4 bars) to combine with the others, then that should be fine.

Top Bottom