All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Jimmy Dorsey method book?

Skiingbanjo

Locality
Toronto
Does anyone know if there are multiple versions of the Jimmy Dorsey method book (alto, tenor), or if there is only one book? If so, is it Eb compatible?

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Locality
New Zealand and Australia
It would be fun for me to see a bit of this book as Jimmy Dorsey and I had the same teacher, Merle Johnston. Merle would have had Dorsey as an adult student probably back in the 1930s whereas I was a 12 year old student of Merle's in 1958. Other student's of Merle's were Joe Allard, Larry Teal, Eric Dolphy, and others. I've seen some of the teaching material of others (like Teal and Allard), but never saw anything by Dorsey.

Teal's method was very much in line with Merle, whereas Allard went his own way.

brianr

Does anyone know if there are multiple versions of the Jimmy Dorsey method book (alto, tenor), or if there is only one book? If so, is it Eb compatible?
I dont know if there are more than one book by Dorsey, but to answer your last question.
any sax tutor book will be applicable to all saxes, unless there is some music written in only one key which is to be played with a backing track.
Which will not apply to any Dorsey book.

I have the one that is probably what you refer to. Mine has a green cover. It’s a very good tutor book.
My favourite part is the introduction to syncopation. Which is a series of studies, getting progressively harder.

Locality
Dartmoor, SW UK
As has been mentioned by others, it's a very good general book - everything from very basic stuff through to some really difficult exercises.

My copy was given to me by my band-mates when I left to start university in 1987, complete with signatures, so it's got some sentimental/nostalgic value as well as being a useful book... I particularly like "only play for money - except with us" :)
DorseySaxBookSigs.jpg

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom