Tutorials

Jimmy Cobb's "So What Band"

Pee Dee

Just been catching up on last Friday's "Later with Jools Holland" show.
Two good sax players, and trumpet. Playing in the Miles Davis Kind of Blue style. Drummer original member of M D band. Great stuff! You need to watch it on I Player before tomorrow's show.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
vincent herring on alto- monsterously good player.. love the way he plays his own solos but with frequent quotes and references from the originals... saw him play as part of tom waits' band last year- he adapts brilliantly into that context (disonnant blues/freejazz freakout and rock 'n' roll) really well too....

rhysonsax

Thanks for sharing that - it was great. Just a few hours to go on the iPlayer.

It starts with "Freddie Freeloader" at about 21 minutes into the show which is at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00mw24g

At 42 minutes Jools is chatting to Jimmy Cobb and there is some b&w footage of Miles playing So What.

At 50 minutes the band play "All Blues".

I loved that and wish the whole programme had been devoted to the band.

Rhys

rhysonsax

Before taking a gander, can someone reassure me that 'eight to the bar' Holland does not join in.
I was worried about that, but actually when Jools sits in with Jimmy Cobb's band you find yourself wishing he had been on the original recording: he would have lifted it to a whole new artistic level. :)))

Take a look

Rhys

Top Bottom