SYOS

Jazzwise (or other) Summer Schools

half diminished

Previous thread Breakfast Room Saxophone Discussion Forum

Old text:

Well I've gone and done it now, four hours of tuition and four hours of playing each day for 5 days! I must be mad.

Most I do is 2 or so hours at a go so I wonder how much more difficult 4 hours of playing will be?

Is anyone else going? Any experiences from anyone who's been before?

So for 2009 I believe there is no Jazzwise School. Anything else worth considering? I had a great time there and would love to do another.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomsax

Try to get together a couple of sax players and hire a conductor/leader for a day or two. I use to arrange Rocksax days with differnt musicians as leaders:
A Rocksaxworkshop can be:

- 10-15 participators - A leader/conducter who can talk and demostrate on his sax and let participators to grow and take a step forward. The participators are the main attractions!! - A barbeque in the evening and a jam with a backing band. - Charts and CD for the day(s). - Choose a clearly defined theme for the day(s). We have done Rocksax Masterclass, Tips and Techniques for Two Saxes, BluesSax Workout in A&E, Rockssax in five differnt grooves (ballad, blues, soul, funk and reggae), R&B honking for the young players (½-day they played Chicken Shack by ear - no charts, learned to play a easy solo, riffing ... just with a backing keyboard (amazing who quick children learn)) ...

I guess you can to the same in UK. I'm sure there are lots of saxplayers on this forum who would love to join a "A Saxophone Jazzday"!!!

If you are intersting in Rocksax you should look out for the May issue 2009 of the Saxophone Journal. Andrew Clark is doing the "Rocksax Groove" thing. (Charts and CD along with the magazine). I hope we can do another turn with this theme in the summer. We are suffering from bad econmics in Sweden and the currency ( s e k ) is low comparing to the US $. Let's hope ..... .

Thomas

Semiquaver

I had a week at the Benslow Music Trust, Hitchen last month and found it very enjoyable and instructive.

The tutor is a bloke named Victor Obsust. His teaching methods are good fun.

He holds two levels of course throughout the year.

Just look at their website for further details.

pedro

Djss

As described in the old BR, Google the Dordogne Jazz Summer School and have a look at their www and pics/videos. Kinda different from Jazzwise summerschool in cost and concept but then that was never going to suit me. Been twice to DJSS. Not going this year but will again at some point in future. Accomodation not to everyones taste but you can always elect to stay off site. My room was within 50 yards of restaurant, bar, stage, practice rooms and pool. Great way to relax and learn - oh and listen to some fab music from tutors,other students and even the bar staff. Food not bad - Breakfast a bit basic - teabreaks, lunch and dinner (and reasonable amount of wine) included in stunning countryside location. Mrs P came as a none musician both occasions and had a great time and was made very welcome. She walked mornings, snoozed and read afternoons, and ate drank and was merry listening to bands in the evenings. Recommended.

SLoB

I had hoped to go to Jazzwise this year, but now looking for something else. Have rung Jazz Academy but not heard back - anyone know whether they are running theirs this year? Looked at Hitchin stuff on web - still considering. Any other suggestions nearer to home than France?
If Pete would run one then I for one would be interested!

OP
half diminished

half diminished

Suggest you all keep an eye on the 'Breakfastroom gathering' thread elsewhere on this board...! (Although it's Autumn not Summer)
That's OK but I am interested in a more intensive/extensive 'experience'. The Jazzwise Summer School was fantastic even though it was probably a bit too soon for me - 4 hours+ a day of playing plus jam sessions and loads of theory - I'd been playing for less than a year and had never read music before I started to learn sax and of course Jazz was new too which I started work on only in prep for the summer school.

Now I am much better equipped to make better progress and am confident of making much better use of the information/experience. So I'll keep looking.

SLoB

Received the leaflet for the Jazz Academy School (23-30 Aug) today. Am keen to join in BR get together but am thinking I might go along to the Academy as well.

What do those who have been in the past think of it? I know those who have been to the Aebersold week (not happening this year), but no-one that has been to the Academy.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

S

Phil Edwards

I went to the Winter 07 one. Very good. Good mix of playing in small and large groups, improv sessions, specific sessions with your instrument tutor (who will most likely be Martin Hathaway). Not a bad place (I'm local so didn't board but it's a typical old boarding school environment). Plenty of practice rooms.

Tutors are usually Mike Garrick (piano), Alan Jackson (drums), Gareth Lochrane (flute), Martin Hathaway (sax), Gabriel Garrick (trumpet), Fred Baker (bass), and Trudy Kerr (vocal).

good value I'd say.

Phil

Top Bottom