support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jazz - with strings attached

Pete Effamy

I love albums fusing a jazz artist/quartet with a string orchestra. There have been a fair few - Parker with Strings is sublime, as is Roy Hargrove's (what an incredible sound, and sadly lost to us recently) Moment To Moment. Clifford Brown and Stan Getz (Focus - almost like a classical 'tone poem' in many ways). Brandon Fields - Fields & Strings from 1999 is a lovely straight ahead jazz album with standards such as Misty, Lover Man, When Sunny Gets Blue....

Then there are the more classical compositions by Michael Kamen (Concerto for Sanborn) and Claus Ogerman's series of albums featuring Brecker, namely Cityscape, in which Brecker really excels (not that he ever hasn't?).

Through a quick Google to check my memory I find a few other albums I never knew existed. I can't wait to listen to Art Pepper on Winter Moon and Ben Webster with Strings: Music for Loving.

Eddie Daniels used just a quartet in Memos From Paradise in 1988. For once, the strings on this album are making some ground towards Eddie in style - it's quite a listen.

View: https://youtu.be/oDoJO_B8j8g

View: https://youtu.be/YlBT9D9f9Oc

View: https://youtu.be/5Aww9lWwYlY

View: https://youtu.be/-enhmsHu3is

https://youtu.be/gTxqrNMB-Og

Michael Kamen & David Sanborn 2. Second Movement

claus ogerman - Cityscape

Eddie Daniels - Spectralight

And then there's Cannonball Adderly. I searched for the Lush Side of Cannonball recording that I had growing up on You Tube, but it hasn't been uploaded yet. This video is another example of Cannonball with strings. From the picture on the cover it looks as if he recorded it while(st) he was still playing a King Super 20. To my ears he gets a sound that is quite close to that of a classical player when he plays the melody which I like very much.

The Stan Getz Focus album is amazing and I have a soft spot for the Charlie Parker with strings recordings. I think Bird's tone sounds great on those, but I'm not sure about the oboe in the arrangements.

There is a lovely recording by the Clark Tracey quintet on the album Stability - Tommy Smith on tenor playing "The Peacocks" with a string quartet arranged by Clark. I can't find that on YouTube but do strongly recommend it.

Rhys

PS I've got a sax playalong book and CD which features the string arrangements used on that Clifford Brown album. It would be good if someone did the same for the Charlie Parker with Strings album.

It would be good if someone did the same for the Charlie Parker with Strings album.

There's one by Glenn Zottola called "Charlie Parker with Strings Revisited." It's available on Amazon UK.

I have the one by Glenn Zottola called "Classic Standards with Strings inspired by Ben Webster" which is really nice to play along with. They come with the full recording including the sax part and a separate backing track version. The sheet music includes the transcribed solos. You can listen to the full recordings on Spotify.

The Stan Getz Focus album is amazing and I have a soft spot for the Charlie Parker with strings recordings. I think Bird's tone sounds great on those, but I'm not sure about the oboe in the arrangements.

There is a lovely recording by the Clark Tracey quintet on the album Stability - Tommy Smith on tenor playing "The Peacocks" with a string quartet arranged by Clark. I can't find that on YouTube but do strongly recommend it.

Rhys

PS I've got a sax playalong book and CD which features the string arrangements used on that Clifford Brown album. It would be good if someone did the same for the Charlie Parker with Strings album.
Thanks for this Rhys. Will look them up
P

There's one by Glenn Zottola called "Charlie Parker with Strings Revisited." It's available on Amazon UK.

I have the one by Glenn Zottola called "Classic Standards with Strings inspired by Ben Webster" which is really nice to play along with. They come with the full recording including the sax part and a separate backing track version. The sheet music includes the transcribed solos. You can listen to the full recordings on Spotify.
Ooh nice.

And then there's Cannonball Adderly. I searched for the Lush Side of Cannonball recording that I had growing up on You Tube, but it hasn't been uploaded yet. This video is another example of Cannonball with strings. From the picture on the cover it looks as if he recorded it while(st) he was still playing a King Super 20. To my ears he gets a sound that is quite close to that of a classical player when he plays the melody which I like very much.

Thanks for this. I am a huge Cannonball Adderley fan too. I believe Bird's string albums were also recorded when he was playing the King Super 20. Somehow, that alto doesn't sound quite the same when I play a ballad on it. ;)

This is one of my efforts on the Glenn Zottola "Classic Standards with Strings inspired by Ben Webster".
Can't Help Lovin' dat Man

Really nice saxophone playing, creating a great mood.

It sounds like the strings and maybe the rest of the backing band are synthesised or sampled, like the playalong I have in the same series and the Charlie Parker strings playalong with Glen Zottola. It would be even better if they had recorded a fully human band, but presumably that would have been more expensive.

Rhys

I've now found all of his stuff. Some lovely stuff - I've ordered three, and am particularly drooling over the Getz one, although the Webster arrangements really are atmospheric. Gorgeous stuff.

Really nice saxophone playing, creating a great mood.

It sounds like the strings and maybe the rest of the backing band are synthesised or sampled, like the playalong I have in the same series and the Charlie Parker strings playalong with Glen Zottola. It would be even better if they had recorded a fully human band, but presumably that would have been more expensive.

Rhys
Thanks Rhys! I didn't realise the backing is not a live orchestra, but you're probably right as there's no credits or mention of an orchestra. Never mind - I couldn't tell difference!!

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom