All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Jazz jam

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
Nothing to do with preserving jazz with large amounts of sugar, but an event on the first Wednesday of every month at the Malt Shovel in Dartford. It's been on hold since Covid but has just started up again.

I went last night with my drummy friend Les without any idea of what might be involved. I was slightly disappointed. Wall to wall American standards. Nothing written after 1960. So it sort of followed the pattern of the rock/blues jams that vastly predominate round here (50s, 60s, early seventies with the usual Alright Now, Sweet Child of Mine, etc. - mostly 12bars). Me and Les provided the only break from the relentless old stuff - 10 mins of free improv. Well, we got applause and they asked us to come back so it can't have been that unwelcome.

There weren't many instrumentalists that got up to have a blow so we're hoping it'll build up with a bit more variety. We'll go again anyway cos where else can you indulge your free jazz fantasies? :cool:

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Nothing to do with preserving jazz with large amounts of sugar, but an event on the first Wednesday of every month at the Malt Shovel in Dartford. It's been on hold since Covid but has just started up again.

I went last night with my dummy friend Les without any idea of what might be involved. I was slightly disappointed. Wall to wall American standards. Nothing written after 1960. So it sort of followed the pattern of the rock/blues jams that vastly predominate round here (50s, 60s, early seventies with the usual Alright Now, Sweet Child of Mine, etc. - mostly 12bars). Me and Les provided the only break from the relentless old stuff - 10 mins of free improv. Well, we got applause and they asked us to come back so it can't have been that unwelcome.

There weren't many instrumentalists that got up to have a blow so we're hoping it'll build up with a bit more variety. We'll go again anyway cos where else can you indulge your free jazz fantasies? :cool:

Why's Les a dummy? :confused2:

Ah, you corrected it now. :thumb:

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom