Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderley
Relaxin' - Miles Davis
Adam's Apple - Wayne Shorter
Visible World - Jan Garbarek
My Favourite Things - John Coltrane
Skylark - Paul Desmond
Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan
Everything by Bob Dylan (except Nashville Skyline)

OK, The last two aren't strictly jazz (and I may have gone over the limit of eight slightly), but these are the records I play frequently, and have been for many, many years. I wouldn't want to be without them.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
-Twelve Moons- Jan Garbarek (for it's atmosphere)
-Impulse Best of... (is that cheating) Pharoah Sanders (for it's joyousness)
-Stanley Turrentine Meets the Three Sounds (for his tone & lyricism)
-Something By Ben Webster (for the same reasons as Stan...)
-Rip,Rig and Panic- Roland Kirk (for his wild inventiveness)
-None of the old R&B guys ever really produced a definative album so I'm going to have to go for the "Big Horn" boxed set of early R&B (for- well- being rocking R&B!)
-... argh... only two to go... Ornette Coleman, In a Silent Way, Medeski Martin & Woods, Lady In Satin, Tom Waits, Sandy Denny, Toots and the Maytalls, The Stones, Clifton Chenier, Sun Studios rockabilly, New Orleans Soul.... Argh.... wibble... (goes into High Fidelity fit..)

losaavedra

Difficult one this but I went through my vinyl collection (!) and came up with:

Thelonius Monk "Criss Cross" (CBS 1963)
Ann Williams "First Time Out" (Summit 1961)
Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um" (Philips 1959)
Donald Byrd "The Motor City Scenes" (Esquire 1955)
Modern Jazz Quartet "Under The Jasmin Tree" (Apple Records 1966)
John Mayall with Eric Clapton "Blues Breakers" (Decca 1966)
Sonny Boy Williamson & The Yardbirds "same album title" (Fontana 1965)
Dr John, The Night Tripper "Gris-Gris" (Atlantic 1968)
Carl Orff "Der Mond" (Philips 1975)

Finally, but not on vinyl, I'd certainly want Dave Brubeck's Time Signatures set and the James Pearson Trio album that streams in background when you visit the Ronnie Scott Club website. That's 11 so which one would go ... uhm ... none of them! Not all jazz (or even sax) in the above but never mind ...

AlanU

I'll now cheat a little as some music I'd have to take isn't an 'album' as such.

Blue, by Joni Mitchell.
Duke Ellington, the Webster/Blanton years.
East Side Story, Squeeze.
The Mikado, Gilbert & Sullivan.
West Side Story, original recording.

Over half way through and here the cheating starts.

Best of:
Charlie Parker.
Thelonious Monk.
And oodles of Elgar, he always makes me cry. Must include the Cello Concerto.

Hang on! This isn't fair.
I've just left out Sarah Vaughan, the whole Motown catalogue, all Rhythm & Blues, Robert Johnson, Chic, Stanley Turrentine and so much more....

You must excuse me while I nip down to the crossroads and see if I can do a deal. Beelzebub sometimes has three for two offers at this time of night.

losaavedra

Great idea ... I whizzed up (or is it down?) to the crossroads and got a special concession to also take a heap of 78s of George Shearing, Tony Kinsey and Gerry Mulligan, also Wagner's entire Ring Cycle that I've never yet got around to listening to all the way through. Oh, and if I promise to really misbehave musically, the man said I could also take everything Diana Krall ever recorded.

You come to expect no BR member would be likely to follow simple instructions on questions like this!!!

Later: Why can't I leave this alone?!? Another couple of 'must haves' ... Bartok Quartets Nos 3 & 4 (Julliard String Quartet, CBS, 1963) and Weber's Der Freischutz (Deutsche Grammophon, 1960). Meanwhile crossroads-man later got all sniffy about the 78s saying the last time they had a working player in his neck of the woods was around the time of the Inquisition, so I'll have to provide my own. Could be a devil of a job finding one (boom, boom!).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom