SYOS

Jazz at the Community Halls

Young Col

Two gigs of note were held on the Croydon & Sarf Lunnun Massive's manor yesterday.

In the afternoon a group of caf sax people convened in a posh restaurant in Croydon before sloping off to OG's cellar club, carefully disguised as a community hall. There, OG, C9off and myself rattle off some nice harmonised carols to keep OGs neighbours happy before launching into a series of well known jazz classics, swopping fours between us. Unfortunately no known recordings exist of this momentous event. Nice to have had a try of Geoff's Mauriat 66 tenor and he of my 67 PM alto, both of which were pronounced very satisfactory (especially as I am not a tenor player, but Geoff clearly is an alto player and made my sax sound very nice). OG's Hanson 8 was passed round as well and noted for its nice attack.

Our renderings of C Jam and In a Mellow Tone were not however up to the same standard as those of the Martin Litton Rhythm with vocalist Val Wiseman in a tribute to Ellington, at Banstead Community Hall in the evening. The Carshalton Jazz Club usually meets in a theatre in the eponymous town, but it was being given over to something called Panto (I gather this has something to do with cross dressing, but does have echoes of jazz call and response patterns in themes like "Look out he's behind you" "Oh no he's not" "Oh yes he is").

Anyway Martin's very capable band was supplemented with Australian jazz violinist Julian Ferrato and sax player Karen Sharp. For those of you who don't follow the caf sax regularly, Karen is one of the UK's top reed players. Those who do will know that she is Ian HDs teacher who ran an excellent beginners jazz workshop in the Summer and has another booked for April. She was in good form as the band led off without vocalist on Cotton Tail and then in various formats covered the Duke's sung and instrumental work. Apart from the two excellent lead players, drummer Rod Brown took a superb solo on Caravan using his hands in African drummming style and bassist Murray Salmon did a splendid emulation of Jimmy Blanton.

A good evening. Nice to be able to say Hi to Karen and see her express surprise that I had a beer (I knew there was no bar so Mrs YC and I took our own). Also nice to find one of my neighbours present who I had no idea was a jazz fan.

Jazz at Community Halls lives. :welldone
Colin

OP
Young Col

Young Col

Kev - that was after what I threatened to do with his flute.
Geoff - yes you got it precisely! But I dare not add to that or that nice Mr Thomas will castigate (yes, that's right) us. :shocked:
Colin

Top Bottom