All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Jay Metcalf's Top 10 Tenor Players..

Hammie 1982

Have to say I actually have a like / dislike for him.
Ok his information is very good and seems to be fairly unbiased in most cases but the way he keeps reminding the watchers of "my professional yanagsawa" at every opportunity gets slightly tedious occasionally!
Yes they are something to be proud of, but dont name drop continually......

OP
Halfers

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
Have to say I actually have a like / dislike for him.
Ok his information is very good and seems to be fairly unbiased in most cases but the way he keeps reminding the watchers of "my professional yanagsawa" at every opportunity gets slightly tedious occasionally!
Yes they are something to be proud of, but dont name drop continually......
I don't think he mentions Yanagisawa in this video...so you're safe. His top 10 Alto Players were posted the other day. I'm posting the Tenor equivalent for those who might be interested :)

I like the guys style. If he loves Yani, that's cool with me.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I assumed that he is a Yanagisawa sponsored artist, and that’s why he gives them an occasional plug. But maybe he just likes them.

CliveMA

I assumed that he is a Yanagisawa sponsored artist, and that’s why he gives them an occasional plug. But maybe he just likes them.
Jay has long had multiple Yani's. He has only relatively recently become a Yani Sponsored Artist. Jay immediately announced the sponsorship in his weekly vid. His vid about "The best saxophone in the world... for me" praises Yani's but he also praises John Paul as entry saxes quite a bit.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
A minor point: He should have called this group the most influential, but not necessarily the best players. The supplementary list at the end includes (IMHO) some of the better or more creative players who didn't necessarily have others trying to copy them. Interesting video nonetheless as many of his are. Who cares what instrument he plays or plugs? If you've got the funds and the ears, go buy what you like!

randulo

Playing alto 2 1/2 years
Subscriber
I've said it before, lists are just a way of grouping stuff to talk about. There is no "best", except in racing. I think he does a good job, although, like the alto list and Ornette, he didn't give nearly enough time on Coltrane. He only shows the relatively early Trane, not the years where he was the most innovative and soulful, as in Spiritual and most of the Village Vanguard live recordings, or the Ballads album, or Naima.

SeanLR

I subscribed to this guy a good while back. I like him, and I enjoy his content, but he does like to go on about his Yani's :rofl:. I can't blame him really. I constantly bang on to my partner about my trusty old YTS 61 and she's not remotely interested...

I would be interested in his top 10 modern players. Would he rate players like Kirk Whalum or Andy Sheppard? Everette Harp, Gerald Albright? Or, even the late Grover Washington. Where would they all stack up ( if at all ) I wonder.

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom