PPT mouthpieces

January 2014: Moonlight after the storm

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Café Supporter
Locality
London
My democratic nature requires me to have this approved by the potential improvisers.
Since I am usually unhappy with the pan-modal approach, I wrote something dorian.
It is not all doom and gloom; a major 6th gives some hope.

8 bars of concert Gminor (dorian), 4 of Fminor (dorian), 4 of Gminor (dorian)

Further details on request.

http://www.aldevis.com/edu/IOTM/IOTM114.mp3
http://www.aldevis.com/edu/IOTM/IOTM114nosax.mp3

A title is needed too....

I'm rubbish at titles but I really like the track(s) I, for one, request some further detail Maestro (or is this term solely for classical/opera?). What is the jazz equivalent?

Looking forward to hearing more about the challenge or is the challenge to improvise over the bt using the Dorian, not forgetting our major 6th?

I'm easily confused.

Sounds like "Moolight after the Storm" to me.

I'm thinking I wouldn't play the same thing twice over that. Lots of space and a great feel.

Reactions: Sue
I could listen to a full track of that one, very relaxing.:)

Learning to love you came to mind as a title but I like Colin's suggestion.

I don't usually visit this part of the forum but think I should start listening and learning.

Looking forward to hearing from our talented members

Jx

Reactions: Sue
"Moonlight after the storm" will be.
Colin nailed the point: spaces.

Technically it is really simple:
Bb instruments play A and G dorian
Eb instruments E and D dorian

First step is getting used to the scale change (and where)
Second step is getting used to the changing notes
Third step is improvising with as few notes as possible.

Anyone that can play the F C G D major scales has the technical ability to improvise.
This means that this time also Jeanette must dare.
I chose the dorian mode because it has no wrong notes: you can stop on any note of the scale you like. Please note the interesting, optimistic sound of the major 6th.
Using blue scales instead is possible, If the result makes sense.

Dots on request.
Chris, I have been unsuccessfully trying to export a midi track for you to develop an alternative backing track.
I guess it is easier if you start from scratch. PM me for whatever you need.

It could not be simpler. I even put the legless dots for improvising. If you want to do it on a Conn-o-sax or a C melody, I can even transpose the dots.

I couldn't even get the dots to print properly never mind play them !

Jx

Second step is getting used to the changing notes

Changing notes?

You're kidding

It's not as easy as you think for those us only able to play One Note Samba

It's not as easy as you think for those us only able to play One Note Samba
If you can play that bridge you can play everything.

Even easier (for lazy members):
alto/baritone: EGABD
soprano/tenor:ACDEG
all the way through the tune.

Also if nobody records it, it would be great to know where the hurdle is. It would really help my teaching.

This could get painful, you may regret asking me to do this!
Emailed tutor to explain Dorian mode which he kindly has, I have even decided what notes I want to play on 2 of the solo bits.

So I have your backing track, a sax, a zoom H2 and a PC. Now what do I do to even attempt to put it all together.

I have also downloaded audacity!

:headscratch:

A lost cause I know

But there may be more like me reading this.......

Jx

Play it using the backing track on the PC.
When you are tired of self deprecating your style, record it using the H2.

On the next day, listen back to it, and repeat the procedure.

One day I will learn audacity.

Play it using the backing track on the PC.
When you are tired of self deprecating your style, record it using the H2.

On the next day, listen back to it, and repeat the procedure.

One day I will learn audacity.

Thank you

I'm going to have to get some speakers first, the computer ones are just too quiet, I'll drown the backing track :)

Mind you I do need to practise PP

Jx

I have a recorder that doesn't work as a PC mike so I would have to record and then shift the recording onto PC and somehow marry it to the backing track. Is this something I can do in Audacity?

Ivan

Audacity is easy peasy. It works like a virtual old fashioned tape recorder, . Import the backing track. Connect a mic to the pooter and hit the record button. The more you use it the easier it gets as you realise you can't break it. There's an option to undo any mistakes you make. For speakers I connect my laptop to the hi fi via the headphone socket on the pooter to the aux input on the hi fi. I'm tying to find a window to have a go at this. It's a bit hectic at the mo.

Also if nobody records it, it would be great to know where the hurdle is. It would really help my teaching.
The hurdlle for me (so far) is finding the time to do it. I really mean to join in this month.

This could get painful, you may regret asking me to do this!
Emailed tutor to explain Dorian mode which he kindly has, I have even decided what notes I want to play on 2 of the solo bits.

So I have your backing track, a sax, a zoom H2 and a PC. Now what do I do to even attempt to put it all together.

I have also downloaded audacity!

:headscratch:

A lost cause I know

But there may be more like me reading this.......

Jx

Hi Jeanette (and others),

Recording with Audacity is not as intimidating (or expensive) as it might seem.
Have a look at this little PDF to get started.
http://rudjarl.com/pdf/The saxophone way of recording to a PC.pdf

Rune

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Rune

I'll have a look later

Jx

Okay, here goes nothing. Not sure if I'm doing this right, as I'm just really just having a noodle rather than knowing if I'm playing Doreen's scale or whatever, and my bloody intonation at the top is beginning to get on my nerves, but I enjoy playing along to stuff like this, so thanks to Aldevis.

(Not sure why it sounds like I'm playing through a wet straw in places either. Ah well, it's been a long day...)

https://soundcloud.com/timbo_music/cafe-sax-improv

Back
Top Bottom