support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

January 2014: Moonlight after the storm

Anyway it's about time I joined in the fun 'Moonlight After the Storm'

Chris.

Well done Chris, sounding good

I could play this for hours. I didn't bother with the dots. Just dived straight in. Miles away from my usual stuff.

View: https://soundcloud.com/colin-the-bear/moonlight-after-the-storm

Very fluid sound, loving it

Can't stop playing it.

https://app.box.com/s/klpttfhh4yyv5w1r58mh

Addictive, innit :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Keen to give this a go as my IOTM thread debut - I'll work on it when time permits :(

Page 1 listening...

Timbo - nice one! Strong tone as usual and rhythmic ideas in the improv :)
eunza - good stuff, I particularly like dthe creamy run at around 1:57
Nick - awesome, really inspiring take! :D
Alun - Good to hear a bari. Around 1:30 was the sweet spot :)
Chris - Sounding great always, tone and mix - confident playing throughout!

Cheers,
V

Al, Chris and Colin, great stuff indeed. Thanks a lot for posting.

Colin's vibrato is a delicate issue, but it sounds like he is keeping it under control :) (serioulsly: used more sparsely compared with other recordings, but vibrato is a never ending debate.)
Al, I have a crossbar too and i seem to recognize the tuning tendencies...
Two bari versions in such a short time is great.
More alto?
Soprano anyone?

Two bari versions in such a short time is great.
More alto?
Soprano anyone?
Since you asked.
I did this the other day too. It's a mash up of 3 takes I did whilst I was mucking about with recording set ups. I wasn't intending to combine them so that's my excuse for the indifferent ensemble tuning and the disjointed nature of it.

moonlight sop alt bar.mp3 - Box
Ta
More info:
sop - Yanag S991, Brancher metal J17, RJS 2H
alto - Keilwerth SX90 R, Ponzol Vintage 85, RJS 2H
bari - Conn crossbar (1937), PPT 8*, RJS 3S

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot listen to it right now, but do you realize that you don't have any rolled tone hole on your soprano?

Colin's vibrato is a delicate issue, but it sounds like he is keeping it under control :) (serioulsly: used more sparsely compared with other recordings, but vibrato is a never ending debate.)

Untill I started posting sound clips on this forum I was blissfully unaware of the controversy vibrato causes. I like it. It might be the pub singer in me. However I am getting used to the fact that lots don't. I'm trying to make sure I'm doing it on purpose now and not letting it happen on auto pilot. I seem to be finding more relevance turning it off and on. It does creep in un noticed when I'm learning a new piece and concentrating elsewhere. I'm glad it was brought to my attention. It seemed a fitting way to express shimmering moonlight on this piece.

I'm trying to make sure I'm doing it on purpose now and not letting it happen on auto pilot.

My autopilot has some horrible habits. Some involve vibrato, some embelishments always on the same note...
Few times a comment from someone opened my eyes about my own playing. Recording helps really a lot.

Even Stan Getz had some bad habits on some specific notes.

Since you asked.
I did this the other day too. It's a mash up of 3 takes I did whilst I was mucking about with recording set ups. I wasn't intending to combine them so that's my excuse for the indifferent ensemble tuning and the disjointed nature of it.
https://soundcloud.com/nicksax/moonlight-sop-alt-bar
More info:

Really liked this one:clapping:

thanks Nick:)

Jx

Last edited:
Since you asked.

View: https://soundcloud.com/nicksax/moonlight-sop-alt-bar

Gorgeous.
I should have written a quartal chart for three saxes

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom