support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Jamming With Yourself

Veggie Dave

Sax Worker
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. ;)

If you have two different instruments, then why not try and jam with yourself? It was, after all, time to see how well the alto did recording a proper song.

I probably shouldn't have decided to write something in multiple keys for its first proper outing, though, especially as I have naff all experience with them. I probably shouldn't have tried some other odd things, too, like using 6ths and 4ths in the chord progressions. ;)

As for the alto, I really must get the springs sorted as the action is far too hard for certain notes - in particular G#, low C#, B# etc. And that weird left key table is really hard to get used to. I'm finding I really have to plan playing G# long before I go for it.

And there's a prize for working out what the title means. ;)

Dropbox - flat 13.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time. ;)

If you have two different instruments, then why not try and jam with yourself? It was, after all, time to see how well the alto did recording a proper song.

I probably shouldn't have decided to write something in multiple keys for its first proper outing, though, especially as I have naff all experience with them. I probably shouldn't have tried some other odd things, too, like using 6ths and 4ths in the chord progressions. ;)

As for the alto, I really must get the springs sorted as the action is far too hard for certain notes - in particular G#, low C#, B# etc. And that weird left key table is really hard to get used to. I'm finding I really have to plan playing G# long before I go for it.

View: https://soundcloud.com/veggie-dave/enfant-6-appartement-13

Interesting, there are some parts I really liked, I think this is one that I would have to listen to a few times to feel totally happy with :)

Jx

Last edited:
The least I can say is that you dive straight in without any preliminaries!

It may not be fully accomplished, but it is an interesting experiment. Perhaps the alto would deserve to be a touch louder compared with the tenor. Have you found a mouthpiece that suits you on the alto?

I am also tempted to try and record multiple horns, but first I need to master recording One! mixed with another track.

Clueless! I'm asking Sherlock for assistance. :rolleyes:

If
allowed by the prize committee. :D

Perhaps the alto would deserve to be a touch louder compared with the tenor.

It depends what system you listen to it on as to which sax appears louder. I think I need to buy some proper studio monitor speakers.

I wonder if the other half will agree? ;)

Have you found a mouthpiece that suits you on the alto?

Not yet, I'm still using the £17 (€20) Rico one I got from Amazon.

I am also tempted to try and record multiple horns, but first I need to master recording One! mixed with another track.

It's not too hard, honestly. Perhaps a Skype call would help.

Good effort Dave. I like it.
It reminds me of an early Gong/Here and Now album...
How did you do the backing? BIAB?

Multi-tracking is the direction I'm heading towards.
I have the equipment (a couple of Tascam DA-88's and a mixing desk) but, as yet, nowhere to use them.
My only issues would be drums and keyboards as I have everything else to hand, hence the question above.
(Oh, and also my lack of talent, but that's another story altogether.)
My dream is to eventually build a soundproofed 'shed' in our garden and lose myself in there for hours at a time.

It reminds me of an early Gong/Here and Now album...

Is that the Great Ohm album?

How did you do the backing? BIAB?

Nope, it's all done in Reaper, which is free to try and has a very long trial period that technically doesn't run out.

Normally the only real instruments in the stuff I do is the bass and sax, but if I want an upright sound then even the bass isn't real, such as here. Getting a decent drum machine for free is hard (I never found a really good one) but you can get remarkably good free VST instruments for everything else.

You don't even need a keyboard to do it. You need a mic, preferably an interface to connect the mic to the PC/laptop, such as the Focusrite Scarlette (although you can just plug into the 'mic in' that most computers have), and an idea.

Untitled-1 copy.jpg

This is a screenshot from Reaper for this song. The drum machine was bought (EZDrummer), everything else is either a free VST or came free with something else.

You can see the Midi Editor is open for the right hand piano part. To create chords etc. you can use a proper midi keyboard or you can simply draw the chords into the editor using your mouse. You can even 'humanize' <sic> it, as was done here, to make it sound more authentic.

There are thousands of free VST effects out there, too. For example, I recently found, and now love, EpicVerb from Variety Of Sound - 100% free and superb.

Excellent Dave, thanks for the info.
I've tried Reaper and Reason and liked the drums sounds available on these but, I like playing with knobs and sliders - physical ones rather than mouse activated ones - and just can't commit to PC recording fully enough.
I tried the whole gamut of DAWS and A/D interfaces, but keep going back to my roots with good old analogue TASCAM's. Now, I'm even trying digital tape using DA-88's and it's fun, but not quite enough...
I even bought a BOSS BR80, which is a great bit of kit too. Small, portable and packed with guitar effects, also can be used as an interface for the PC.
I've experimented with several Roland VS-840/840EX's, which were also great.
Nothing, however, compares to a Tascam Portastudio one for honest recording fun, in my opinion.
Perhaps we should start a thread on recording techniques and how to create great drum sounds?
(When I say we, I actually mean more sort of you really, as my contribution would be relatively minuscule...)