All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

J Dankworth and C Laine on BBC4

Pee Dee

Hi all, apologies if this already been done on another thread.
Watched the JD and CL progs on BBC4 Friday night. Great! Not seen the first prog, and was happy towatch the second again.
Two things I noticed, at one session JD had what looked like yellow insulating tape wrapped round his alto neck in three places, just below the cork, under the register key and near the join. Any idea why? Some trick to change the tone, wrong kind of brass, vibrating at the wrong frequency?
Also in another session I noticed his sax looked very much a Walstein type of construction, ie bronze and brass. JD playing a BW? If so that swings it, I'm gonna get one:w00t:

rhysonsax

On the cover of the Spring 2010 issue of the "Clarinet & Saxophone" magazine is a picture of John Dankworth playing this sax. I'm pretty sure that it is a Yanagisawa A992 (their bronze-bodied top of the range model) on which the Walstein is based. That is "based" in the sense of ripped-off.

No insulating tape on this photo, but it does show the Lawton mouthpiece and how JD used to store the Lawton cap by sliding it on the back of his ligature when he was playing. That's a cool look that I adopted for a while !

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/542249172

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamos

I too watched these programs and really enjoyed them. God they had some hairstyles between them.

Even Cleo wasn't to annoying and didn't do too much skat singing thank goodness.

I also saw the tape and thought it might have been a reed pickup or something with the tape securing the wire. I dunno

mamos

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
My Dad fell in love with Cleo years ago. not sure if it was the voice or something else..... But when she was on TV, he was watching/listening. For some reason he wasn't as keen on Johnny Dankworth, just as well for me I suppose.

Pee Dee

No insulating tape on this photo, but it does show the Lawton mouthpiece and how JD used to store the Lawton cap by sliding it on the back of his ligature when he was playing. That's a cool look that I adopted for a while !

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/542249172

Rhys
I wondered what that was, thought it was some fancy, specially made for, ligature thing. Right, I'm going up for a blow now, so will try it...........cool man:mrcool

Pee Dee

I too watched these programs and really enjoyed them. God they had some hairstyles between them.

Even Cleo wasn't to annoying and didn't do too much skat singing thank goodness.

mamos
Yeah, the 70's were the weirdest, I can't believe the hairstyles and the fashions we used to wear, look ridiculous now.
You don't like skat, I think Ella does it the best. When Cleo skats and Johnny matches her note for note is famous, and fascinating to watch/listen to.

Mamos

Too much scat can be annoying unless it is really well done.

I think there was a lady on the jazz 625 program who was singing lyrics emulating what sounded like a charlie parker solo.

That I did like

There is a similar thing over the closing credits of the film Bird.

I really liked that as well, I wonder if it is available anywhere

mamos

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom