All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

I've joined a big band

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
I joined a big band two month ago. A proper big band. It’s a resurrection of a band that has been dormant for about 20 years. It is 3 trumpets, 4 saxes, only one trombone yet, keyboard, guitar, bass and drums. The missus said it was about time I joined something cause she was bored to death listening to my endless speeches of the great fun in playing with live human beings and not just the computer.

Yesterday we had our first gig. An hour of playing at Hamar Beer Festival. (Hamar being a city not too far away.) I wouldn't say it went spectacular. Not unless you can hear the ironic way the word spectacular is being used anyway. It wasn't that we played bad or something. People were happy, drinking and singing along. Let’s just say that we left some room for improvements. But first gig is done and people are happy with it.

Of cause (as we got paid in beer coupons) most of us indulged in a taste (or two) of the reason the festival was held in the first place, afterwards. You know, just to feel comfortable. It was just like a minor flashback to the roaring 80th when I played in a band. Gigging and drinking with your mates….. what a wonderful world…

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Free beer in Norway? You must be amongst the best paid musos in the world....

Good to hear, hope it goes well for you. I've always enjoyed the clips you posted!

navarro

Good morning rudjari on this our second jubilee day grey and raining. What kind of music were you playing, swing, jazz or sort of beer festival stuff ? I hope the band grows. Big bands in the UK are few and far between. Regds N

rudjarl

Good morning rudjari on this our second jubilee day grey and raining. What kind of music were you playing, swing, jazz or sort of beer festival stuff ? I hope the band grows. Big bands in the UK are few and far between. Regds N
Hi navarro,
we play good old swing and jazz stuff. You know, cha cha for judy, satin doll, for once in my life... things like that. And some polkas for the occasion of the beer festival. Nothing makes people drink more beer than Lichtensteiner Polka :)

rudjarl

Here is a picture of us playing at the festival.
loten_bigband.jpg

Chris98

Hi Rune,

Is that you playing the alto?

Any youtube video of you guys yet?

All the best,

Chris

rudjarl

Hi Chris, thanks :)
Yes it's me on the alto and no, we're not on youtube yet as there has been made no recordings. Maybe we record something over the summer. That would be fun :)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Hi Chris, thanks :)
Yes it's me on the alto and no, we're not on youtube yet as there has been made no recordings. Maybe we record something over the summer. That would be fun :)
Would be good to get a thread with a link when you do.

jthole

Have fun! I play in two bigbands, and I'm looking for a small jazz combo.

I never mix sax and beer though ... during a gig I drink only water (don't want to exhale beer or cola fumes through my sax afterwards), and afterwards I usually have to drive home. But I could see myself making an exception for a beer festival ;}

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I never mix sax and beer though ...
I don't mix drinking alcohol with playing sax either. I once tried to practice my sax after dinner one Sunday, when I'd has a glass or two of wine.
Although I felt perfectly sober, there seemed to be a distinct failure of hand-eye-breath co-ordination and playing the sax was nigh on impossible. :w00t:
Therefore, I dare not try drinking if I need to perform.
Also, our conductor has made it faily clear that drinking should happen only after performing. A very wise suggestion in my experience. :)))

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
Have fun! I play in two bigbands, and I'm looking for a small jazz combo.

I never mix sax and beer though ... during a gig I drink only water (don't want to exhale beer or cola fumes through my sax afterwards), and afterwards I usually have to drive home. But I could see myself making an exception for a beer festival ;}
I drink sax and play beer(;}) around 80% of gigs and rehearsels.. But that time of year in holland when there`s carnaval I'll play the sax after more than a few, and I still manage quite good, but what stands out is that when not playing from a score that, between music thought and music play doesnt works out as well as you might think..

and my hearing gets a few steps backwards as well, and with hearing I mean hearing intervals and playing by ear.

Koen88

Dweilorkest? :D
in the last case it is, but with the windband (harmonie) I'll have 1 or 2 beers during the break, and when we're rehearsing with the party coverband it'll be 4 to 5, but the music from both of `m arent hard to play and mostly well known and or catchy tunes.

I play in an other coverband where the music is a bit more challenging and 6 flats are more rule than exception so I keep it at coffee and water during those rehearsels...

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
I usually reckon that if I can still stand then I can play.

However, on one gig last summer, where the host said, "Help yourself", the choice became just stand and look pretty vacant or sit down and play. I sat down.

Gone a bit off topic here.

I wish you luck in your big band adventures. It's a while since i did anything like that. I probably ought to do it again.

rudjarl

Drinking and playing is a bit two folded. In the big band I prefer to wait with the drinking until after the gig (or practice) because timing and precision is of essence. Cant be honking out those cool rhythmic figures in a different rhythmic scheme than the rest of the band.:w00t: Whereas in the band I played in some 20 years ago, 5 guys in their 20th playing cover tunes..... hic.... do the math...:)))

Koen88

Whereas in the band I played in some 20 years ago, 5 guys in their 20th playing cover tunes..... hic.... do the math...:)))
that's where I'm at now LOL!

But OT; I hope to join a Bigband one day too, but right now I dont have the time for it with a total of 4 bands allready... sometime in the future I will thouhg. And I wish you the best of luck and musicality and fun

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom