All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones It's a Yamaha, yes, BUT IT HAS A BUFFET NECK STRAP!!

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Had a little compare to the Carmichael today. 23 is lighter weight but I think I'm getting a better sound out of it. 23 seems the easier blow too. Bearing in mind the Carmichael beat the BW tenor, does this mean a YTS-23 is better than a BW TS-Y?

:confused:

Had a little compare to the Carmichael today. 23 is lighter weight but I think I'm getting a better sound out of it. 23 seems the easier blow too. Bearing in mind the Carmichael beat the BW tenor, does this mean a YTS-23 is better than a BW TS-Y?

:confused:
probably better, and better than a lot of other similar standard saxes, 23 punches way above it's weight for the price so to speak, a very under rated sax.
you are slowly being converted.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I think we`re getting into the realms of opinion here - David didn`t like the BW TS much it would seem, others love the things including Stephen Howard who rated it at 10% beind a Yani 992 , I think it`s pretty OK .. just because one person thinks a one sax is better than another doesn`t make that a fact, the Aforementioned Mr Howard didn`t rate the SDA very highly whereas David was bowled over on first blow (he`d have a cardiac arrest if he played a MkVII !!) ..

There`s also sample variation . my TS-Y is a good step up from an Odyssey (Identical to at least one generation of the carmichael from what I can tell), it has a pretty complex sound which to ME may suit better than a YTS-23, it may not . David must have played a Really Dud Mk1 62 to constantly rate every horn he`s played since better than it . in the same vein, I must have a particularily superb Elkhart 300 Curved Sop because it`s hardly on the hot-list (or that I`m a natural Sop player which I seriously doubt) and I really rate it . etc ......

I`ve never thought of the 23 as underrated because I`ve never heard anyone slag one off . an underrated horn is one which is universally ignored or slagged off - The MkVII being a prime example of slagged off (and IMO the best sounding tenor ever built), some Bueschers falling into the ignored category as are some gem east European horns, lesser appreciated models of Conn etc . Nearly everyone rates the 23 at least as competant and many search them out - the 25 is the ignored one and no one seems to like the 275 (including me as it happens)

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
I think we`re getting into the realms of opinion here - David didn`t like the BW TS much it would seem, others love the things including Stephen Howard who rated it at 10% beind a Yani 992 , I think it`s pretty OK .. just because one person thinks a one sax is better than another doesn`t make that a fact, the Aforementioned Mr Howard didn`t rate the SDA very highly whereas David was bowled over on first blow (he`d have a cardiac arrest if he played a MkVII !!) ..

There`s also sample variation . my TS-Y is a good step up from an Odyssey (Identical to at least one generation of the carmichael from what I can tell), it has a pretty complex sound which to ME may suit better than a YTS-23, it may not . David must have played a Really Dud Mk1 62 to constantly rate every horn he`s played since better than it . in the same vein, I must have a particularily superb Elkhart 300 Curved Sop because it`s hardly on the hot-list (or that I`m a natural Sop player which I seriously doubt) and I really rate it . etc ......

I`ve never thought of the 23 as underrated because I`ve never heard anyone slag one off . an underrated horn is one which is universally ignored or slagged off - The MkVII being a prime example of slagged off (and IMO the best sounding tenor ever built), some Bueschers falling into the ignored category as are some gem east European horns, lesser appreciated models of Conn etc . Nearly everyone rates the 23 at least as competant and many search them out - the 25 is the ignored one and no one seems to like the 275 (including me as it happens)
I've played very few Altos since the YAS-62 MkI. I think what I said at the time, a month or so ago, was that compared to my Buffet 400 it didn't bring anything new to the party. Now, Saxman71 has both the YAS-62 and Buffet 400 and he's chosen to keep the Yamaha, fair play, but I wonder how close he found them to each other? That he's chosen the Yamaha and I the Buffet is most likely down to the person playing and their experience perhaps?
The YTS-23 may turn out to be better than the Carmichael for me, and perhaps better than the Grassi but that'll be another week or so yet until it's ready.

:)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
There's another factor - player experience. Better players look for tone, range of tones/flexibility as well as complexity. As well as the other factors. As always, it's what suits you now and the near to mid term future. Not what others say, this can only be one of many factors in deciding what you want to play.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
There's another factor - player experience. Better players look for tone, range of tones/flexibility as well as complexity. As well as the other factors. As always, it's what suits you now and the near to mid term future. Not what others say, this can only be one of many factors in deciding what you want to play.

Yep, this is why I like the YAS-62 (and could tell I would just by playing the tenor version), it`s incredibly flexible, easy for me to create a vast range of tones on and has a complex enough sound (a term I use for rich in harmonics) and excellent dynamics, also the action is pretty faultless, it handles like a dream . this is MY opinion of course ....

the thing about "People" is that we`re all different and have come from different angles, I for instance have played Tenor for eons with just One Horn (though tried loads of others at shops and belonging to others out of curiosity), only have come to the Alto recently, so am I a valid judge of Alto Saxes ? .. well I am as far as my needs are concerned but whether my opinion is valid on a forum is debatable....... others can ask themselves the same question for totally different reasons .

is this getting Philosophical or what :doh:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Every person's opinion is valid. Providing you have had experience of the subject matter! That is why I find this forum so valuable. There are different levels of musicians on this site and after a period of time I believe I know where I fit in "my " ratings! However I "listen" to all of the members opinions.

There are also different aspirations from the members and different cliques which again is enjoyable. I would never have gone out and bought a Yamaha if it wasn't for the laughs and comments that we have generated on this site.

The difference in members interests and goals keep this forum informative and fun, from the Yamaha mob to the Martin mob, to the Selmer mob, to the Conn mob..........

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Locality
Near Lutterworth, Leics.
Every person's opinion is valid. Providing you have had experience of the subject matter! That is why I find this forum so valuable. There are different levels of musicians on this site and after a period of time I believe I know where I fit in "my " ratings! However I "listen" to all of the members opinions.

There are also different aspirations from the members and different cliques which again is enjoyable. I would never have gone out and bought a Yamaha if it wasn't for the laughs and comments that we have generated on this site.

The difference in members interests and goals keep this forum informative and fun, from the Yamaha mob to the Martin mob, to the Selmer mob, to the Conn mob..........
I believe the Conn lot prefer to be called "artists" not "mob".

...and it's the Selmer "body", again not "mob".

Buffet "brunch".... er, "bunch".

Any more.....?

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom