All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

It just occurred to me.....

Hal the Elder

....that all of you are from the United Kingdom!

Cheers, mates!

Now you have someone to talk to across BOTH ponds!

Here's a pint of Guinness to you all, from a ruddy Yank!

HAL

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Some us live on the other side of the world. Unite sax players of the world and throw off your...opps wrong forum.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Ok - who squealed? You may have noticed that we enjoy confusing people and have a penchant for a warped sense of humour. My particular idiosyncracy is a tendancy towards excessive sesquipedalianisms. That and I play instruments which fell out of fashion at the start of the C18th which makes saxes seem right-on-trend :)))

Apart from that, we're mostly normal...

Hal the Elder

I know what you mean, TenorViol,

I gave up trying to find a teacher for my Krummhorn, Faggoto, and Sarrusophone.

HAL

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
I know several crumhorn tutors... I assume that krummhorn is the German spelling? You've got me with Sarrusophone! Having looked it up, looks a bit like an ophicleide. I note that it was originally a double reed instrument, but became a single reed instrument. Saxes seem normal by comparison!

Hal the Elder

As you probably have read, TenorViol, the Sarrusohone was invented by French Bandmaster Sarrus. They're scary-lookin' things, and they have an odd timbre too. You can hear them on YouTube.

HAL

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
... I assume that krummhorn is the German spelling? You've got me with Sarrusophone! Having looked it up, looks a bit like an ophicleide. I note that it was originally a double reed instrument, but became a single reed instrument. Saxes seem normal by comparison!
Yes, Krummhorn is German but should be capitalised.

The Devil's Horn, by Michael Segell, is an excellent read on the sax and if I remember rightly has a section on the battles between Sax and the Sarrusophone makers Gautrot.

musicalmechanical

Ok - who squealed? You may have noticed that we enjoy confusing people and have a penchant for a warped sense of humour. My particular idiosyncracy is a tendancy towards excessive sesquipedalianisms. That and I play instruments which fell out of fashion at the start of the C18th which makes saxes seem right-on-trend :)))

"mostly normal" - ! - its says "North Shropshire" there and they don't go together. now i'm from wellington, and i fear any of them there folks north of Edgemond. the "flatlands" we call it, and only is it mentioned in hushed tones and whispers.

seriously though, i like the viols, i've been wanting to play some proper old music for a while, i've dabbled with "Flow my tears" and i have a great cd of early music by the kronos quartet, but that's the extent of my knowledge. any tips for tunes?

Di in France

I've just joined the forum. I live in France, but I'm very patriotic and british through and through.;}

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
"mostly normal" - ! - its says "North Shropshire" there and they don't go together. now i'm from wellington, and i fear any of them there folks north of Edgemond. the "flatlands" we call it, and only is it mentioned in hushed tones and whispers.

seriously though, i like the viols, i've been wanting to play some proper old music for a while, i've dabbled with "Flow my tears" and i have a great cd of early music by the kronos quartet, but that's the extent of my knowledge. any tips for tunes?
For viols, a large chunk of the consort repertoire from mid 1500s through to late 1600s is English - Byrd, Tallis, Jenkins, Gibbons, East, Ferabosco, Coprario, Dowland.

Recordings: look for Rose Consort of Viols, Fretwork etc

What

Another Yank here, but I live in Pittsbirgh PA. Its kind of the "watch the paint dry" city compared to growing up in New Orleans. I only play recorder, thumb piano and enjoy some rough sax.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber

You speak for yourself,who wants to be normal?.....John

TomMapfumo

Cheers, mates!

HAL
It just occurred to me that you are quick to make unverifiable assumptions...................;}

Zeus

Cheers, mates!

HAL
Yes we are, in a sense....our King is still in the UK, and United we are only in the face of danger, or the Troika, so what the heaven, let there be sax!

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
In the UK, the biggest satellite broadcaster is BSkyB. So, we do get to see CNN, Fox News etc., should we wish to....

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom