support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

It brought tears to my eyes

Djangette

Locality
Essex
Actually I'm not sure which way ... certain music does make me cry physically, what triggers you?

I'll start you off with my Achille's Heel - Autumn Leaves, which I think is a wonderful piece.

On the other hand, if you like, it's a good response when asked 'how's it going?' by a performer: 'that solo brought tears to my eyes', normally that's taken as a positive comment! <evil grin>

'Well, the audience are enjoying it' - 'Interesting' - 'Is there a tad too much reverb/balance/banjo's a bit loud/etc do you think?'

Firstly I find it difficult because I'm not sure if someone's asking me what I really think or just wants reassurance, Secondly why are they asking me? I don't think my opinion is neither here nor there.

Any other non-commital comments gratefully received :)

The birdie song, Viva Espana, Delilah etc tears of anguish!:crying:

The slow movement of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, real sobs if played on the Basset Horn. Eric Bogle's 'Waltzing Mathilda' and 'No man's land' by good folkies. 'September Song', must be getting old but defeated by 'Autumn Leaves' as when playing slowly and emoting, sounds kitsch and when taken up tempo, insufficient skills.

After the Rain by John Coltrane, The Cowboy Junkies version of Neil Young's Helpess, Song of the Siren by Tim Buckley (or The Cocteau Twins)- actually there are a few different things here- lyrical content and vocal delivery is seems far more set up for doing this than most instrumental music (Song of the Siren being a fine example- if it didn't have the poetic lyrics it does then I'm sure it would have the same effect). Solo violins and traditional Jewish music being notable exceptions... Anyone ever come across "The Guild of Funerary Violinists"....?

hmmmmm - my waterworks turn on pretty easily - whenever I hear the kids at school give a good concert - it doesn't matter what they play it gets me every time.....especially some goofy little guy with a big smile on his face while everyone is applauding.

....I have a dear friend from grammar school who sings with the Lyric Opera of Chicago ~ whenever I hear her sing Ave Maria, Amazing Grace, or Someone to Watch Over Me.......

p.s. PeeDee! I didn't recognize you in your new costume - feeling better and playing again I hope?

Ella singing "Ev'ry time we say Goodbye" is a tear-jerker, IMO (But I do like her & LA singing Moonlight in Vermont, LL!! I can nearly play it, too :) )

There's something about Don McLean's "Vincent", too, for me....

Three Ravens from Terror & Magnificence by John Harle with Sarah Leonard.

The whole album is beautiful but this piece always brings a tear to my eye.

mamos

Rogerb ~ I recently found a version of "Moonlight in Vermont" sung by the Velvet Fog, Mel Torme. That particular version does make my eyes swell a bit. :)

Rogerb ~ I recently found a version of "Moonlight in Vermont"

That is one of my favourite standard tunes.
I also love Junior Walker's version. A bit off the wall, but great. Don't know about tears to my eyes though quite.

I can see why you'd think it was strange, that this particular song would make me emotional - my husband said a condition of marriage was that I had to play "Moonlight in Vermont" for him. I did it - at sunset in the field at our farm......we were married shortly after. As far as the Mel Torme version - my grandmother always played Mel's "Prelude to a Kiss" album on yellow vinyl every weekend I stayed with her. It holds a special place for me - it's the memories the song is associated with I guess, and not so much the content of ths song.

A

p.s. PeeDee! I didn't recognize you in your new costume - feeling better and playing again I hope?
Hi Lulu. Thanks, swinging again.
Pic - Sitting Bull, Hunkpapa Sioux, defeated Custer, my hero!:welldone
Moonlight in Vermont, will have to get the dots and give it a try, and see if i cry:D
Crying? I am an emotional sort of guy, usually sad films, sad real life sits on TV, people hugging and crying after long seperation, things like that, but don't think music moved me that far though, at least, not music on its own, but if I can see somebody playing it, then it could get me going.:crying:
Me blue elephant did a runner. Must be my playing. Needed something with some POWER, hence SB.
Snow melted yet?

Glad to hear you're mended and back in top form!

Regarding the snowy weather...alas, I thought I might see some grass this week - but woke up to 6 inches of new snow! Bah!

Florida here I come in 29 days.........

glad to hear from you PeeDee ~ have missed the BR :)

Lori,
If my memory serves me well, your husband and I share the same Celtic origins.

Did he cry when that penalty dropped beneath the bar?

A tune that really moves me is King Curtis playing "A Change is Gonna Come". It just sounds so exquisitely yearning!

A tune that really moves me is King Curtis playing "A Change is Gonna Come". It just sounds so exquisitely yearning!
Good call- King Curtis tone, especially on soprano, is gorgeous- and very gospel in it's feel. His verison of "Whiter Shade of Pale" is a corker....

.....into his giant mug of Guiness.....

:)

"Whiter shade of pale" - King Curtis. I'll look out for that, sounds good.
Thanks Nachoman!

If I listed all the songs or tunes that I blub at, this would be a very long post! I also react emotionally in many other ways to all sorts of music. I'm not generally sentimental or over-sensitive, though. Music has always been if huge importance to me, more than I realised myself for many years.

"Whiter shade of pale" - King Curtis. I'll look out for that, sounds good.
Thanks Nachoman!
It's from an Album called "Live at Filmore West", well worth picking up (it was one of my Pete's shop picks)

Back
Top Bottom