Tutorials

Saxophones Isolo choice

Totted

Hi
Can anyone help.... I have purchased an isolo Bluetooth mic but my question is - how (if it’s possible) do I record through laptop and audacity with it. Is it a case of 3.5 Mn jack lead from sync out to usb into laptop or do I need an audio interface usb
I’m not technically minded and this is doing my head in
If anyone uses this please help
Many thanks
martin

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Hi @Totted

You ought to be able to link the mic to a laptop without an audio interface and without using the USB (given that's the job of the bluetooth)

Your laptop needs to link to the mic via bluetooth (instructions with the mic, or online, or switch on the mic, go to bluetooth settings on the laptop and take it from there)

Audacity then needs to choose that mic. There's a mic symbol with a drop down list and if Audacity is behaving itself, your mic should appear on that list

You need to have the mic linked to the laptop first, or Audacity won't find it

Last edited:
OP
T

Totted

Thanks Ivan
But I thought if the mic was connected to its own mixer thingy then that is using its Bluetooth connection? Can it have more than one at the same time? Like I say I’m the least tech person alive so appreciate any help

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Oh, sorry

I mage an assumption about what sort of mic this is... I see there's a separate receiver with only a jack output. From what I see online the receiver is not designed to connect directly to a laptop/PC. It looks like it's designed for primarily performance rather than recording

....so.... it looks like you do need a separate audio interface... it'll mean spending more cash, if you don't already have one, but you've come this far.... or return mic to seller and get a USB mic and stand

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Looking at the mic, I would say your best result will be to plug the USB receiver into the laptop. No bluetooth needed. There may be switches to turn on somewhere, but it looks like th emic transmits radio to the USB receiver which acts as, looks like a mic on the computer.

In audacity, there is a place to switch input sources. You want the USB mic source, NOT the built-in mic of the computer.

Does all that make sense?

tenorviol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
I've Googled the mic and assuming it's the one in the link it's a little box that clips onto the sax. That box it seems connects by Bluetooth to a slightly bigger box, which is the wireless receiver. That larger box is what you need to connect to your laptop. Judging by the description, it's designed for on-stage use primarily.

It looks like the output on the wireless receiver is a standard 1/4" jack plug. You will therefore need a cable that has a jack plug on one end and a USB on the other. You might need a 1/4" to 1/8" (6.3mm) connector, depending on what cable options you've got. I've recently used a bespoke cable company who will make cables to your requirements and the service was pretty good considering current restrictions: Hi-Spec Audio Video Data & Power Cabling for Stage Cinema & Broadcast

You could plug the wireless receiver into a separate audio interface, but you shouldn't have to do that. If you did it would the jack plug output to the interface's input which will be either a jack plug or an XLR.

An option which MIGHT work, is to ignore the wireless receiver and see if your laptop's bluetooth detects the mic directly. The issue with that is the signal level might be wrong, but it's worth trying. Reading Ivan's response, I suspect not.

I'm not an expert in these things, but that's the route I would try if I was trying to figure it out. I did find some videos on using the mic when I Googled it.

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Oh, sorry

I mage an assumption about what sort of mic this is... I see there's a separate receiver with only a jack output. From what I see online the receiver is not designed to connect directly to a laptop/PC. It looks like it's designed for primarily performance rather than recording

....so.... it looks like you do need a separate audio interface... it'll mean spending more cash, if you don't already have one, but you've come this far.... or return mic to seller and get a USB mic and stand
It saw recording right in the description and I believe the bluetooth part isn't needed for computers and laptops, only for mobile devices. I could of course be wrong.

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
"Record directly on your laptop and phone using the USB receiver."

Plus the USB receiver into the laptop.

Run Audacity and find that mic in the input choice thing.

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
@Totted - is it this microphone?

If so:
Firstly, I don't see anything in the product description that says it is Bluetooth, it just says it is wireless. But that doesn't really matter because it is the mixer box that you need to connect to your laptop, rather than the microphone.

The product description says that the output from the box is a full-size stereo jack plug. There is no USB output. If your laptop has a mini-jack microphone input then you need to have an adapter from 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch jacks. You can either get a cable with the right jack plugs on either end or a jack plug converter.
For example:

If your laptop doesn't have a microphone mini-jack plug input then things get more complicated.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
If your laptop doesn't have a microphone mini-jack plug input then things get more complicated.
I feel responsible for starting the confusion with my erroneous first post, based on thinking the isolo was a bluetooth mic (linking mic to pc). I started the self-recording lark about six years ago and I was determined to minimise the complexity of mics, audio interfaces, DAWs and so forth.... but there are few alternatives and now I'm in deeper than expected

I've spent more time looking online @Totted. You've got a nice little mic there. But I don't see a way around using a USB audio interface between the six knob black box receiver and the laptop

Using a USB audio interface means more 'technology', but they are plug and play and easy to use

If you don't have a USB audio interface, then as always there is a bewildering choice, but you needn't spend a fortune. The simplest version of a common brand is all that's needed

Last edited:

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
"Record directly on your laptop and phone using the USB receiver."

Plus the USB receiver into the laptop.

Run Audacity and find that mic in the input choice thing.
That may be an older version... I am guessing that @Totted has the version with the six knob black box receiver that looks like a guitar effects box rather than the goldy brown USB reciever

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
Hi
Can anyone help.... I have purchased an isolo Bluetooth mic
Please post a link to the exact product to clear up the confusion?

The thing I pointed to has (in the photo) a USB receiver. The mic has a transmitter, I assume they're both part of the product.It should sound really good, too.

Is this it?

Last edited:

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
OK. So @randulo has found one ISOLO product and @tenorviol and I have found a different one.
The ways they connect to the Laptop are different.
We definitely need to know which one we are talking about in order to give sensible advice.

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
OK. So @randulo has found one ISOLO product and @tenorviol and I have found a different one.
The ways they connect to the Laptop are different.
We definitely need to know which one we are talking about in order to give sensible advice.
Exactly, there are different versions, even for wind instruments. One is $500 with the mixer and effects (there's a review on BetterSax) and one is $248 with no box, but the USB receiver.

Here's the $500 version

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv8yOfUcBFU

OP
T

Totted

@Totted - is it this microphone?

If so:
Firstly, I don't see anything in the product description that says it is Bluetooth, it just says it is wireless. But that doesn't really matter because it is the mixer box that you need to connect to your laptop, rather than the microphone.

The product description says that the output from the box is a full-size stereo jack plug. There is no USB output. If your laptop has a mini-jack microphone input then you need to have an adapter from 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch jacks. You can either get a cable with the right jack plugs on either end or a jack plug converter.
For example:

Hi
No , no mini jack mic socket, I’m wondering if I can use a mini jack (from box) to usb (in laptop) if that would work? Got to be worth a try I guess

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
@Totted we're stumbling over each other trying to help :)
Please show us the exact product you're looking at?

OP
T

Totted

It is the cloud vocal isolo choice, wireless so exactly as reviewed on better sax nigeld yes the one you attached the picture of

OP
T

Totted

@Totted we're stumbling over each other trying to help :)
Please show us the exact product you're looking at?
Hi
Yes it’s the one nigeld put in comment above, wireless mic, box of tricks that connect to amp .... just can’t figure how to record off it

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
If you want to record, you might be better off buying the $249 version that is made for recording. You put the mic on the sax, plug the USB into a computer and record. With this model there is no effects box and no need for other cables or adapters.

Scroll down and read the description.

randulo

Playing alto 2 ⅓ years
Subscriber
This is not the fault of the original post or the answers, the site is very unclear about the products.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom