support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Isle of Wight

jonf

I'm thinking about booking a week's self catering on the Isle of Wight for me, the Mrs F and the two little Fs. Anyone recommend any nice cottages, or particularly nice areas to stay in? Anywhere interesting to take two little girls, 5 and 8, that's not going to be too distressing for a 44 year old dad?

Any (more or less) sensible suggestions gratefully received.

JonF

Emma

Hello Jon,

Robin Hill country park is fabulous - it is a 'theme park' but is in lovely surroundings, some rides to go on but you don't have to spend loads of money, take a picnic and enjoy the grounds. My children loved it, I took them when they were similar ages to your grandchildren. Also the model village at Godshill is great & the beaches are lovely.

Emma

Young Col

Jon
Hadn't actually been on hol there since the early 1960's (tho' been over for a few business trips over the years) but Mrs YC and I spent a week there a couple of years back. What surprised us was that, modern cars apart, how much it still felt like 50 years ago!

Can't help with self catering, but there's lots to see. Osborne House (Queen Victoria's) is magnificent, but there's some focus on how the Royal children spent their hols there as well. Carisbrooke Castle is splendid and the girls may like the docile donkeys used to turn the wheel for the well. Blackgang Chine theme park (but whether you like the rides...), coloured sand from Alum Bay and the nearby Needles Battery built to guard the Solent.....Nice little trains, refurbished tube trains I think. Quite a nice car ferry trip from Southampton to Cowes, down Southampton Water. And you can always do a day trip back to Portsmouth on the hovercraft from Ryde to see the Victory, Mary Rose etc and go up that tower thing. And if it's really nice the children can bury you in the sand on the beach at Sandown or somewhere like!

It's on that nice Mr Thomas' doorstep. He may have ideas.

Colin

Saxlicker

Hi Jon,

Living so close and taking it for granted a little bit, I can't give you any solid recommendations to differentiate good from not so good!

However, I like the Freshwater area and the Isle is so small you'll get all around it n the blink of an eye if you want to, so relax and make it up on the spur of the moment.
Cows and Ryde are the 2 seaside towns in the height of the summer. But what they have to offer pre spring I don't know.

fishpond

Just over the water from me.
But, went there once, many years ago(Ted Heath was at cowes week):w00t:
Also used to go past the Victory every day(never been on it)
typical:-You do not look at what is on your doorstep.:)

AdamBradley

UKSA in Cowes might do single day things that your kids might love (if they like watery outdoorsie things). Perhaps worth a look, I did a weeklong school trip there in 2001 and had a great time, sailing, kayaking, windsurfing and banana boating. Think they have short day things for families with young kids.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
I thought this place was the dinosaur museum>:)
There's also the dinosaur farm somewhere on the west coast, much less sophisticated than the museum at Sandown, more of your typical home made museum, great fune.

We stayed at some very good cottage/barn family places where they let kids feed the goats etc, I'll dig out the contact details.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
I'm thinking about booking a week's self catering on the Isle of Wight for me, the Mrs F and the two little Fs. Anyone recommend any nice cottages, or particularly nice areas to stay in? Anywhere interesting to take two little girls, 5 and 8, that's not going to be too distressing for a 44 year old dad?

Any (more or less) sensible suggestions gratefully received.

JonF
Here it is:

http://www.nettlecombefarm.co.uk/

This was a great holiday.

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
You're welcome

This was a really great place, there's lots of countryside walks, the best side of the Island (IMO), feed the goats etc. Much amusement one night when a bat came into our cottage.

Nice owners.

Pub down the road.

Top Bottom